Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid-Atlantic snow totals for winter 2017/18

Midlo Snow Maker

34 minutes ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

I wasn't here for 13-14, but the last good Winter was probably 04-05. (actually there was one with multiple blizzards in the last 7 years. but it melted really quickly, 5-7 days.) 

I still find it hard to believe that you were fully here for this winter

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Fozz said:

04-05 was a great winter for 40N and especially New England, but very average at best for here.

From what I've seen, it was a winter that mainly consisted of January & February snows. Do any of the storms from this radar loop ring a bell?

Oh yeah, and Houston saw Christmas snow as well in that year

6 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

From what I've seen, it was a winter that mainly consisted of January & February snows. Do any of the storms from this radar loop ring a bell?

Oh yeah, and Houston saw Christmas snow as well in that year

Yup. I remember it well. 14 years old. 

The winter had a slow start here but then we got a nice clipper in mid-January, 1-2" and very cold so it accumulated everywhere. Then Jan 22 was a big one for the northeast, but our area was dryslotted so it was 2-4" in DC and 4-8" around Baltimore and NE Maryland, with 12"+ from Philly to Maine (and a HECS for SNE). There were a few more moderate events in late February, but that winter was driven by the northern stream so it was a lot better for 40N, and truly epic for New England.

9 hours ago, mappy said:

People who have given me updates at some point, but haven't in a while: 

@attml @Bob Chill @Clueless @dallen7908 @hosj III @jnis @MeganKiebler @MidlothianWX @nj2va @SLPressure @snjókoma @Solo2 @snowchill @Wonderdog @das

Honestly I’d exclude me from your numbers. I was in Deep Creek for some events and stopped tracking. I’m for sure less than 10” but I don’t want to crud up your results. :)

14 hours ago, nj2va said:

Honestly I’d exclude me from your numbers. I was in Deep Creek for some events and stopped tracking. I’m for sure less than 10” but I don’t want to crud up your results. :)

Fair enough! I'll remove you :)

On 4/16/2018 at 11:22 PM, wxdude64 said:

About as good as it gets for spring in my book, looking forward to it. Course, it has flurried/snow showered now for 6+ hours here so......using the 'standard' measurement I figure Jon Jon has about 4-7 inches of new by now.

3 hours ago, jonjon said:

Picked up 5" more the last couple of days.  Up to 154.3".

Looks like a little more coming tomorrow/tomorrow night.

LOL, nailed it!

5 hours ago, jonjon said:

Picked up 5" more the last couple of days.  Up to 154.3".

Looks like a little more coming tomorrow/tomorrow night.

1 hour ago, wxdude64 said:

LOL, nailed it!

I honestly think Jon Jon should install a camera looking outside from the inside of his brewery.  I think he's moving to a bigger facility soon, but the view he has of downtown Davis through the large plate glass window right now would be perfect.  If I couldn't be there live, I'd watch it all winter from the comfort of home with a beer in hand.

On 4/17/2018 at 7:59 AM, mappy said:

@attml @Bob Chill @Clueless @dallen7908 @hosj III @jnis @MeganKiebler @MidlothianWX @nj2va @SLPressure @snjókoma @Solo2 @snowchill @Wonderdog @das

Oops!  I'll shoot you an update shortly!

@mappy Hi, Katie.  Here's my total for Clarksburg (at 39.234, -77.268):  15.2"  17 Feb was the only storm where Clarksburg was in the "sweet spot" for the region.  Very uncommon.  Most storms focused max output to the east, north and south.  Bleh..................

4.6" 09dec17 | 0.1" 10dec17 | 0.1" 13dec17 | 0.2" 15dec17 | 1.1" 30dec17 | 0.9” 04jan18 | 0.2" 08jan18 | 0.4" 16jan18 | 0.6" 30jan18 | 0.3" 04feb18 | 0.3" 07feb18 | 3.1" 17feb18| 0.2" 12mar18 | 3.1" 21mar18

On 4/17/2018 at 7:59 AM, mappy said:

Sorry. Been away for awhile. Might be too late but here are my totals.

12/9/17 - 2.1"

12/30/17 - 0.3"

1/4/18 - 1.1"

1/17/18 - 0.4"

2/17/18 - 0.4"

3/21/18 - 4.5"

Total - 8.8"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2018/05/04/as-most-of-d-c-s-meager-snow-fell-in-spring-it-was-a-sad-and-strange-season-for-snow-lovers/?utm_term=.20945bd03127

Very nice map! Of course, it would've been better if the snow hole were filled in with light and dark blues ;)

Again, thanks for taking the time to make this map. Here's to a snowy 2018-19 winter :drunk:

Good article. A little depressing to read but it was well done.

But I found one slight error near the end @Ian

As the winters of 2009-10 and 2016-2017 remind us, D.C.’s biggest snows tend to occur during El Niño.

I think you meant 2015-16. 

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

That map captures the tradegy that was winter.  Look at that hole in the valley.  Just terrible.  Doubled up by the notorious powder powerhouses that are Richmond, the delmarva, and VA Beach.

Have not been on the forum for quite a while.  How was the flooding? My daughter was renting a little place near Water Mellon Park along the Shenandoah and got trapped yesterday. She is moving to Purcellville this weekend. Anyway below average snow here in PNW too. Last year had deep snowpack in mountains and skied on July 4th. this year they had to move snow around for the closing this past weekend.  Cheers Eastcoasters.  Picture from backcountry hike to 3 creeks area 2 weeks ago.

DSC_0050.jpg

Archived