Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Des anyone remember back when WSYR Channel 9 in Syracuse had the best radar? What a P.O.S. it is now. Couple that with it's virtually unusable website...just wow.  This is why we can't have nice things and the internet should be restricted to electrical engineers and coders/programmers.

1 minute ago, Syrmax said:

Des anyone remember back when WSYR Channel 9 in Syracuse had the best radar? What a P.O.S. it is now. Couple that with it's virtually unusable website...just wow.  This is why we can't have nice things and the internet should be restricted to electrical engineers and coders/programmers.

I agree with you completely. They boast that "closer is better" because they have their own Doppler radar then their app is set to show the whole state which means they're using the NWS radars. Also, who designs their apps?  They are almost useless. I almost hate to say it since he seems to be a nice guy but the decline seems to coincide with Jim Teske taking over as head meteorologist. Dave Eichorn was the driving force in getting their own radar after the Labor Day derecho in 1998. 

43 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I think we get really cold after the warmup next week.

https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/forecasts/reforecast2/teleconn/forecast.html

Yes it appears that the "warm-up" is modest at that and short lived...there also appears to be several storm chances right through Christmas week...heres to hoping we stay on the cold side as our area would get dumped with snow.

24 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

That vote today might destroy society as we know it. I smell a revolution coming. 

New hi-res NAM looks like a total screw job for just about all the metro area. Looks like maybe an inch or so as total QPF looks to be under .10". That band looks like it may weaken when it begins to very quickly shift southward from the IAG area towards the metro BUF area and this isn't the only model to show it. I know channel 4 and channel 7 in house mesoscale models were showing a huge screw zone right over the northtowns, city, and southtowns with the Niagara Falls and Ski country cashing in. Oh well. With over 2' in the past week I really can't complain if we don't get anything tomorrow but I just think the advisory is not going to verify in Northern Erie. Hope things get interesting again towards Christmas as the next week looks pretty boring after tomorrow. 

IMG_0179.GIF

Got one outlier to cross our fingers for!  Best hope to over achieve looks to be if we can get that band going strong in the morning and get it pushing onshore into the metro.  Then hope for a stall somewhere and/or hope the flow doesn't back all the way to SSW.  NAM did overshoot last weekends storm by 10 miles to the north so that could keep this in the distant north towns instead of up into Canada.  That squall line later in the day should be fun for all.  Quick but who knows 2-4"/hr rates with thunder and lightning hitting very close to the PM rush could be some trouble tomorrow.      

IMG_4553.PNG

What's funny is when I wrote that post about wsyr's radar being so much better, I hadn't looked at it in quite a while, lol, then I did and was like, WTF is this sh**, lol simply horrific! I remember the green with the heavier returns that were yellow and it was thee best radar around for LES. I agree CNY, Dave Eichorn left, and channel 9's weather team went to ****e!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, tim123 said:

Hopefully things get more intereting around christmas

Forget Christmas...I think today is going to get very interesting around the northtowns and metro this afternoon...2 observations,  1) the band is already more organized than any model up to this morning has shown and is reaching points well inland...snowing decent here on Williamsville...2) upstream radar returns look VERY impressive over lower michigan and the bands if lake efrect off Michigan are healthy and look more like a hybrid than a singular band that all our models have shown. My opinion is the band this afternoon is enhanced by moisture from the S/W going by and the area of heavy snow will be wider than a normal singular band.

1 hour ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Forget Christmas...I think today is going to get very interesting around the northtowns and metro this afternoon...2 observations,  1) the band is already more organized than any model up to this morning has shown and is reaching points well inland...snowing decent here on Williamsville...2) upstream radar returns look VERY impressive over lower michigan and the bands if lake efrect off Michigan are healthy and look more like a hybrid than a singular band that all our models have shown. My opinion is the band this afternoon is enhanced by moisture from the S/W going by and the area of heavy snow will be wider than a normal singular band.

You're responding to a Rochester poster.  We don't give a crap about Lake Erie, haha.  She's nothing but a tease for us.  

52 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

What's this 'Lake Eerie' you speak of?

It's the bain of my existence...I feel like clark griswold in vegas vacation and lake erie is the blackjack dealer. "Here's an idea, why don't you give me half of the money you were gonna bet then we'll go out back I'll kick you in the nuts and we'll call it a day"...yeah thats how lake erie treats most of us that want epic LES events!

May have one last shot at snow before Xmas, right after the CF tues/wed..

Wednesday
Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 31. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Wednesday Night
Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

A8983B1E-64BF-4491-A1EF-433AAA2F497D.jpeg

7 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Euro had a very warm day on the 22nd 50s, to near 60 for some before a front moves through and kicks off the lake machine..Verbatim of course, last nights 0z..

Unfortunately all it takes is one day with 50s to wipe out our snowpack, especially if dew points are in the 40s with a strong wind. 

Archived