• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Almost 2" in last hour here.

At 1025 PM EST, an band of lake effect snow was located along a line
from Sturgeon Point to Hamburg to East Aurora, producing snowfall
rates of 1 to 2 inches per hour and localized poor visibility to a
quarter a mile or less. This band of snow is expected to meander
over Southern Erie county through midnight before moving southward.

Well the stadium hit scenario looks like almost a guarantee now tomorrow.  Question looks to be when it's there and how long it's going to stay in place.  Looking back at the earlier 3k it had the band tonight spotted but 1-2 hours later and 10 miles further south.  Adjust tomorrow's band placement by 2 hours sooner and 10 miles north and this thing might even try and hit the metro.  Will be a fun day tracking for sure.  I'm actually heading out to Medina tomorrow since the weather looked to be South now it's looking like the drive home on the 90 could be sloppy.

14 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Could be a decent “starter” event tomorrow as seen in both the NMM/ARW .. The Canadian OP and 0zGfs were clipper after clipper followed by LES each time, nearly 3” of liquid on both models over the next 10 days..(verbatim not all snow, not that I care at this moment lol)

DDC81C65-5C44-4C9E-B358-80627F1F63E4.jpeg

Any chance you could post either of those? Wondering how sharp the cutoffs are. 

18 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Could be a decent “starter” event tomorrow as seen in both the NMM/ARW .. The Canadian OP and 0zGfs were clipper after clipper followed by LES each time, nearly 3” of liquid on both models over the next 10 days..(verbatim not all snow, not that I care at this moment lol)

DDC81C65-5C44-4C9E-B358-80627F1F63E4.jpeg

Yeah the PNA breaks down at end of runs. I think we get a 1-2 day thaw, possibly more. Some of the events will mix with and maybe even rain. Looks to be the few days before christmas. 

Talking Mon-Weds:  Looks like a solid 4-8" event across the south shore. Monroe-Oswego. Sorry Niagara-Orleans, the winds look too WNW as opposed to N. 

If the primary goes further south, it will be a much, much bigger event. Our northward trend has ended. Basically we are where we were 24 hrs ago. With the northern most solutions coming more in line with the euro- which brings the low across Lake Ontario and leaves behind a trough. If we see this low move closer to the PA border, then thruway corridor gets 1-2 feet. But for now everything points towards anemic primary track followed by les aided by the western leg of trough. 4-8". The smart folks seem to agree, with a flatter solution but say we should wait for quality sampling on Sunday.

Bonus stuff for folks who do well with a fast 290-300 flow. Think: Fulton and KSYR. 

Sorry Tim, It's just how I see it now (and for last two days). NWS is more bullish, so there's that. 

4 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Hey that cool. I would take 4 to 8. But I am more optimistic. Id say 8 to 16. 8 Niagara county 16 Wayne county

It's just a bit heartbreaking, cause I know what this would do if it could be a few ticks south. You know what a strengthening, slow moving, north pa low can do to our region. Here's to hope brother!! 

Otherwise, we wait for the back-end and hope the streamers hit us. Like you said, no way of knowing until we're out 24 hrs or so. 

If you look at the nam and gfs there are 2 pieces of energy. One diving at base of trough and one near polar vortex. Hence why you see 2 lows jumping around until the merge somewhere over ny or pa. Things have been trending south today. So 50 miles farther south and almost sweet track. It's a tricky call for sure. But a nw flow with high cap 10 to 15000 feet and wrap around moisture and temps in teens There will be some vicious bands on south shore

1 minute ago, tim123 said:

If you look at the nam and gfs there are 2 pieces of energy. One diving at base of trough and one near polar vortex. Hence why you see 2 lows jumping around until the merge somewhere over my or pa. Things have been trending south today. So 50 miles farther south and almost sweet track. It's a tricky call for sure. But a nw flow with high cap 10 to 15000 feet and wrap around moisture and temps in teens There will be some vicious bands on south shore

Yeah, sometimes more than two. Wxfreak mentioned that yesterday and it is intriguing. 

Archived