• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

1 hour ago, WesterlyWx said:

Haha we think alike for sure. South Buffalo and West Seneca got absolutely shafted. We have a whopping 3 day total of 1.4”...

I'm yet to accumulate more than .05" of snow, so KROC has still only recorded a trace of snow from the last 3 days.  Pretty sad. 

Also, since I began accurately tracking snow this season I'm somewhat perplexed by how the airport makes its measurement.  They recorded .4" on the 6th and that is just plain false.  What method to they use?  Does anyone know?  

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Syracuse had a few inches of snow back on 11/20-21 so Houston, New Orleans and the gulf coast states didn't beat us to the first accumulating snow but looking pretty green and brown here. 

Not looking optimistic for any deep general snowcover any time soon but the parade of clippers and other low moisture systems progged to roll thru in the next 7-10 days ought to gradually make it look more wintry in CNY.

33 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

That clipper/Miller b system has trended stronger on the latest guidance for Monday/Tuesday.  Some potential for a decent event there.  

It has looked better with every run and should treat the South Ontario shore well with a relatively prolonged period of moist northerly and NW winds as the low matures and slows down over Eastern Canada.  Cautiously optimistic that we get our first substantial event with this one.  

3 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

I'm yet to accumulate more than .05" of snow, so KROC has still only recorded a trace of snow from the last 3 days.  Pretty sad. 

Also, since I began accurately tracking snow this season I'm somewhat perplexed by how the airport makes its measurement.  They recorded .4" on the 6th and that is just plain false.  What method to they use?  Does anyone know?  

I had a 4" event about that time in Irondequoit. It's very variable, as you know. My folks in Pittsford, haven't had anything yet. 

Buf Disco looks good:

A consolidating sfc low will track near or just south of our
forecast area Monday night and Tuesday. This will place our forecast
area on the northern side of the deepening storm system where
frontogentic forcing will be the strongest. There may be some fairly
strong jet induced lift involved as well...as our region will be
near the exit region of a 130kt H25 jet. This should result in a
general accumulating snowfall across our region...one that could
worthy of winter weather advisories or even warnings. Stay tuned.

- this type of event always overperforms along the thruway, from Buf-Syr, especially the greater Roc region. 

But we like that low to stay south of the ny/pa border. If it cuts our region or heads north, it's a totally different story, with upslope areas being favored (Buf ski country). 

Ill be watching this one. I think of them as I-80 Rollers. 

Sunday, steering level winds will back to west or west-southwesterly with accumulating lake snows lifting north along the east of both lakes. Lake induced equilibrium levels of over 10kft along with sufficient synoptic scale moisture will support well organized single bands of lake snow. Several additional inches of snow could accumulate east of the lakes. Wind may even back enough ahead of another approaching shortwave trough to allow for the northern edges of the lake bands to reach the Buffalo and Watertown metroareas. Warning threshold snowfall totals could certainly be possible

1 hour ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Sunday, steering level winds will back to west or west-southwesterly with accumulating lake snows lifting north along the east of both lakes. Lake induced equilibrium levels of over 10kft along with sufficient synoptic scale moisture will support well organized single bands of lake snow. Several additional inches of snow could accumulate east of the lakes. Wind may even back enough ahead of another approaching shortwave trough to allow for the northern edges of the lake bands to reach the Buffalo and Watertown metroareas. Warning threshold snowfall totals could certainly be possible

Rooting for an intense band to sit over Orchard Park on Sunday between 1 and 4pm. It’s not like it would hurt our passing game...

Next 7 - 10 days looks fabulous for both CWA's. Both offices should experience the first significant event of this early season with heavy LE and enhancement South and SE of both Lakes Erie and Ontario. Chock full of snow chances throughout the period, with brutally cold temps. Wind chills approaching -teens to -20's at times, suffice to say this time next week, the whole board should have had their first significant snowfall. The fun begins with the first insignificant round of weak LE, SE of Lake Ontario come tomorrow night into Sunday afternoon. I'll take one at a time, thanks, lol!

1 minute ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

That would be awesome to see.  Weird it was there for several straight runs and now all of a sudden the 18NAM just drops the LES Sunday... 

Horrible model, and I don't care if it nailed this last event, as even a broken clock is right twice a day, lol!

Its been a while since I've seen the globals in such remarkable agreement on the next few events as each is in lock step of each other except for the CMC. It's timing and placement has a little catching up as it runs the Clipper to our North, so if it does go to our North, the Canadian nailed it, lol.

1 hour ago, tim123 said:

New afd from buffalo highlighting Rochester for heavy lake effect and lake enhancement Tuesday and Wednesday 

2 hours ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Next 7 - 10 days looks fabulous for both CWA's. Both offices should experience the first significant event of this early season with heavy LE and enhancement South and SE of both Lakes Erie and Ontario. Chock full of snow chances throughout the period, with brutally cold temps. Wind chills approaching -teens to -20's at times, suffice to say this time next week, the whole board should have had their first significant snowfall. The fun begins with the first insignificant round of weak LE, SE of Lake Ontario come tomorrow night into Sunday afternoon. I'll take one at a time, thanks, lol!

Damm dude check out that 18z GFS bufkit data, that's some impressive LES parameters showing up on Tues-Wed timeframe.

44 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

As for our Tuesday storm, if it ends up being any further North, neither Syracuse or Rochester. Plenty of time. 

Bro this ends up cutting across Central PA and could be as far South as the Delmarva. Its definitely not cutting across the Central Great lakes like the Goofus has it doing. Its going to be either to the North of the Lakes, or to the South, and I'm going with South, but we'll see. 

The Gfs and euro are fairly similar..

Otherwise we will be
looking at a clipper system dropping across the upper Midwest. The
operational GFS and ECMWF models are in better agreement with the
12z runs. Warm advection and overrunning ahead of this approaching
storm system will likely spread some light snow over our region by
late in the day on Monday where likely POPs remain for the western
Southern Tier. Monday night, the models are a near lock step
shifting the center of the clipper into western NY.

Archived