joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I blame some of this "forecast bust" on the Cuomo debacle from 2014.  The NWS wants to ensure that they are never seen as underestimating an event (even though they didnt that time) when it could have a significant impact.  This raises the most critical question.  Why do people care when a forecast busts in a generally positive direction (IE: Forecast a lot, get a little)?  Its the classic scenario of erring on the side of caution.  If they bust the other way its truly dangerous and could cause major issues.  Busting high is just a relief for the general pop.   

One argument might be that schools or roads close preemptively and then nothing happens.  Well so what, at least no one was caught off guard and nothing unfortunate happens.  Furthermore, forecast busts of this magnitude are quite rare so it's not like this is a chronic issue and costing large sums of money.  It's frustrating.  

-end rant-

You are probably right about that in some sense.  To the extent that pols like Cuomo and our overly litigious society influence any particular forecast with their past histrionics...hard to judge without being on the inside of NWSFO decision making.  I suppose it does make sense to over-forecast for the reasons you mentioned...but then there's the Chicken Little effect over time.  As an engineer, I'm more wired to "get it right" than play to the optics but we all have our own professional politics to consider, however ridiculous and juvenile they can be.

1 hour ago, WesterlyWx said:

0-1" in the city proper. The northeastern suburbs caught a couple inches.

We went up to the village of Williamsburg for a work holiday party - about two inches there, but more noticeable because the grass was fully covered.

I just don't understand why BUF put those maps out so early.  They were using 0z Monday data where the hi res was just starting to pick it up.  Where they just using analogs and going with their gut feeling?  The local tv mets all waited till 5/6 news that night to put out maps and had 18 hours of hi res data.  They still overshot but look to verify much closer.  I would be fine if official sources waited until 36 hours out to issue detailed accumulation amounts.  I feel this would ease the pressure to rush a forecast and wait to issue one when it's right.  

12 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Looking at gfs system for mid next week coming in stronger. 

Im wondering if the NWS Buffalo will issue a LES watch fir northern erie for late Thursday friday morning, seem to be within the high res models wheel house and as Don Paul stated looks to be intense, even a band that sits for 2  to 3  hours on a SW wind can dump 1/2 foot in that time.

6 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Im wondering if the NWS Buffalo will issue a LES watch fir northern erie for late Thursday friday morning, seem to be within the high res models wheel house and as Don Paul stated looks to be intense, even a band that sits for 2  to 3  hours on a SW wind can dump 1/2 foot in that time.

NO WAY!  Maybe another advisory depending how it continues to verify overnight but I can't see N Erie getting over 6" by Friday night even with two more band passes.  

53 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

I just don't understand why BUF put those maps out so early.  They were using 0z Monday data where the hi res was just starting to pick it up.  Where they just using analogs and going with their gut feeling?  The local tv mets all waited till 5/6 news that night to put out maps and had 18 hours of hi res data.  They still overshot but look to verify much closer.  I would be fine if official sources waited until 36 hours out to issue detailed accumulation amounts.  I feel this would ease the pressure to rush a forecast and wait to issue one when it's right.  

I got excited when all the models showed it in addition to the top 5 CIPS analogs all being large events 3 days out. Still have some hope for tomorrow, but we will see. 

Thank god you people out west are dealing with this and not the Lake Ontario crowd here in CNY.  I feel you all got the Bernie Madoff experience with this one.  Although in the end, like Bernie's investors, you may ultimately recover a fair chunk of what was "lost."

We had our first event back before Turkey day and it more or less delivered the goods, though maybe a few fries short on the happy meal in the end.

50 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

NO WAY!  Maybe another advisory depending how it continues to verify overnight but I can't see N Erie getting over 6" by Friday night even with two more band passes.  

There was a LES band last year that dropped over 6 inches of snow in less than an hour so anything possible buddy..;)

1 hour ago, WesterlyWx said:

I’m gonna go absolutely ballistic if this band sits 2 miles to my south all day after how yesterday went. So frustrating! I need to buy a house on a 1800’ Ridge in Perrysburg.

I dunno dude looks like that's as far as it's going to go.  Maybe another small nudge with that recent flare up but overall that band just looks terrible.  Super skinny still really not a solid band.  Thruway cams still showing green grass all the way down and just some light snow falling Eden to Dunkirk.  But most models show it peaking later today and then moving through our area tomorrow so just have to wait yet another day...

5 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

I sure hope its snowing somewhere because the radar is lit up all around me but its not even flurrying, lol, quite comical actually!

I’m down in Southern tier and I’m catching just some light snow showers from that Erie band.

jb4nc4.png

Looks like Hamburg to EA will be in on the action now!  Good luck!

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Buffalo NY
946 AM EST THU DEC 7 2017

NYZ010-012-019-020-085-071615-
Chautauqua-Cattaraugus-Southern Erie-Wyoming-Northern Erie-
946 AM EST THU DEC 7 2017

...A BAND OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL AFFECT WYOMING...NORTHWESTERN
CATTARAUGUS...SOUTHERN ERIE AND NORTHEASTERN CHAUTAUQUA COUNTIES...

At 940 AM EST, a band of lake effect snow producing snow fall rates
of 1 to 2 inches per hour has developed off Lake Erie. This band is
most intense along the lakeshore between Fredonia and Hamburg,
extending inland to the Boston Hills. This lake effect snow band is
expected to remain nearly stationary through mid-afternoon. If
traveling, be prepared for rapidly changing road conditions and
visibilities.

Locations impacted include...
Dunkirk, Fredonia, Hamburg, East Aurora, Evans, Boston, Eden,
Springville, Warsaw and Bennington.

This includes Interstate 90 between exits 59 and 57.

1 hour ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

I dunno dude looks like that's as far as it's going to go.  Maybe another small nudge with that recent flare up but overall that band just looks terrible.  Super skinny still really not a solid band.  Thruway cams still showing green grass all the way down and just some light snow falling Eden to Dunkirk.  But most models show it peaking later today and then moving through our area tomorrow so just have to wait yet another day...

Absolutely ripping about 1.5” or so an hour in Orchard Park with a couple inches on the ground with just a flurry back home in West Seneca with green grass on my Nest Cam. 

2 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Absolutely ripping about 1.5” or so an hour in Orchard Park with a couple inches on the ground with just a flurry back home in West Seneca with green grass on my Nest Cam. 

Crazy how quick that band organized this morning.  Went from flurries to roaring in an hour.  Getting oh so close... 

IMG_4100.PNG

5 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Nothing in South Buffalo at work, 1-2" in blasdell. Close to a foot in Hamburg. 

Green grass in West Seneca, this is by far and large the most heartbreaking/antagonizing 2  day weather event of my entire life. Was forecast 2-3 feet here 3 days ago, landed up with 0.7" then rain. Now today the lake effect looks great and it's literally 2 miles away. I was in Orchard Park an hour ago which is 4.7 miles away and they have close to a foot while I stare at green grass and breaks of sunshine. Congrats to those though that are getting the snow, happy for you guys! 

Archived