Newest Member
    joxey
December Model Discussion

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

You do realize that we dont need alot of precip for a few inches of snow ?

Ukie and cmc gives the city 2-4.

Gfs is coming around.

Stop feeding the trolls. Everything he said is wishful thinking from his point of view and contains no meteorology. Just assumptions based on a skewed view of patterns of the past. Again, this is not the 80s. Just because we have the tpv close by doesn’t mean it can’t and will not snow.

ill ride the seasonal trend for west trends at the last minute. Even if we only get an inch or two.

You can look at it two ways.   Winter of 13-14 featured several storms  in Jan/Feb with the PV close by and bitter cold air with moderate snow events...However March of that year yielded cold and dry when the PV sunk back south again.   Just depends on little nuances that can make a big difference either way.   

1 hour ago, Ericjcrash said:

Definitely dried up this run, brings the goods next week though . 

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_30.png

Eric and Nutley and anyone else , I realize that this is the "model discussion thread" and although this weekend is NOT a non snow event yet ,,,,,much like the GEM is showing this for the 4th or 5th and a possible storm, these same models last week were calling for the possibility of a very big storm between the 28th and 30th. I understand that nothing is ever guaranteed , its a long time off and they are only model runs.The weenie in me likes the pictures but it seems the models have been all over the place with previous events this winter and have not gotten a handle on things even when very close to events thus far this year. It appears to me at least that as far as this weekend the models are having a very hard time with this different setup and the dynamics,,,but I am just a novice 

50 minutes ago, ILoveWinter said:

Yes a cold pattern can be suppressive but this is not always the case.  I remember several past MECS with temps in the upper teens to lower 20s, so just saying its cold and that's that is not constructive. 

Yes. I don't really agree with the notion that an unseasonably cold pattern will necessarily lead to bone-dry conditions and suppressed systems. I would think that the overall pattern would be far more important in influencing snowfall patterns. Although probably stated numerous times, January 1996 was frigid before the blizzard and even the following week before the thaw. January 2005 was also frigid before and after the storm. 

23 minutes ago, mikem81 said:

EURO much worse than last few runs

It does try to develop a western ridge for next week, that would significantly increase the chance of a Miller A system, but it's been on again off again with it. 

If you're really hoping for snow that would be the one to watch, maybe it won't evaporate like this week's big threat did.

1 hour ago, ILoveWinter said:

Yes a cold pattern can be suppressive but this is not always the case.  I remember several past MECS with temps in the upper teens to lower 20s, so just saying its cold and that's that is not constructive. 

The problem really isn't the arctic intrusion, it's the lack of blocking. We stay cold because the trough in the East reloads, but look how progressive the trough is on the Euro now for next weekend. 

Because of how progressive the pattern is, we are trying to thread the needle, and it looks increasingly like no dice this time around.

35 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The problem really isn't the arctic intrusion, it's the lack of blocking. We stay cold because the trough in the East reloads, but look how progressive the trough is on the Euro now for next weekend. 

Because of how progressive the pattern is, we are trying to thread the needle, and it looks increasingly like no dice this time around.

I tried explaining this about the weekend yesterday, I wasn’t doing it because I was trying to take people’s snow away or I’m “warm biased”, but the fact remains that this current setup with the TPV is completely, totally different than what we had for the last few events that moved west at the last minute. “It’s going to come west like the others did at the last minute” is not going to work this time

The Jan 3-5th time frame looks like a great time period for a big storm. The PV begins to relax so suppression wouldn't be a huge problem. Also, all models have some miller A during that time frame, just different outcomes. 

12z Euro:

ecmwf_vort_500_noram_186.png

An attempt for a triple phase on the east coast and the western ridge looks nice as well.

11 minutes ago, Newman said:

The Jan 3-5th time frame looks like a great time period for a big storm. The PV begins to relax so suppression wouldn't be a huge problem. Also, all models have some miller A during that time frame, just different outcomes. 

12z Euro:

ecmwf_vort_500_noram_186.png

An attempt for a triple phase on the east coast and the western ridge looks nice as well.

Eps is on board

26 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

I tried explaining this about the weekend yesterday, I wasn’t doing it because I was trying to take people’s snow away or I’m “warm biased”, but the fact remains that this current setup with the TPV is completely, totally different than what we had for the last few events that moved west at the last minute. “It’s going to come west like the others did at the last minute” is not going to work this time

Some decent blocking this time around would have resulted in a blockbuster. It might have favored the mid-atlantic over our region, but it would have depended on the magnitude of the blocking. If you try to undercut the TPV with a strong phased system you're going to get snow and a lot of it. Instead the trough moves out, and the fact that it gets quickly replaced is irrelevant to the system in question.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Leave it to the GFS to find a way to get worse after an upgrade.

http://mashable.com/2017/03/10/hurricane-forecasts-suffer-gfs-model-upgrade/

The hurricane issue was supposed to have been corrected.

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/synergy/July_2017_NCEP_Synergy_Meeting_Notes.pdf

Like many, I'm concerned about the GFS's performance ranking below the CMC (and also UKMET).

32 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

The hurricane issue was supposed to have been corrected.

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/synergy/July_2017_NCEP_Synergy_Meeting_Notes.pdf

Like many, I'm concerned about the GFS's performance ranking below the CMC (and also UKMET).

Seems like the main reason we really need the GFS for is the MOS output. Do you know where we can find the ECMWF MOS? That's about the only thing we need to make the ECMWF forecasts more complete. I know Forky posted the recent cold bias issues with the raw Euro 2m T's. But my guess is that the MOS numbers may correct for that.

MDL's SMB applies the MOS technique to output from the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasting's (ECMWF) models. This statistically calibrated objective guidance includes a wide variety of weather elements and time projections and is provided within NOAA.

Archived