SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Model Discussion

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Euro has rain changing to snow  for the whole area as the front passes by next week.

GEFS mean is cold/dry...warm/wet for the most part. Perfect pattern could be the ultimate tease. One need only glance at the GEFS to see how we can fail given the favorable teleconnections. Prefer to wait on the EPS and something more short/medium range anyway.

5 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:
30 minutes ago, Snow88 said:
Euro has rain changing to snow  for the whole area as the front passes by next week.

GEFS mean is cold/dry...warm/wet for the most part. Perfect pattern could be the ultimate tease. One need only glance at the GEFS to see how we can fail given the favorable teleconnections. Prefer to wait on the EPS and something more short/medium range anyway.

Storms will not show up in the long range. A lot of vorts running around.

The vort coming out of Canada has a more N-S orientation due to the more meridional orientation of the western ridge. The energy is also more consolidated into one vortmax instead of a broad trough. Should have room to dig; this might be an interesting run. Definitely looks like a potent shortwave coming out of Canada either way.

5a21d71412839_18zGFS500mbtrend150-15612117.thumb.gif.56a3068d3bba5e69518cc3781eeb7d6d.gif

2 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

The vort coming out of Canada has a more N-S orientation due to the more meridional orientation of the western ridge. The energy is also more consolidated into one vortmax instead of a broad trough. Should have room to dig; this might be an interesting run. Definitely looks like a potent shortwave coming out of Canada either way.

5a21d71412839_18zGFS500mbtrend150-15612117.thumb.gif.56a3068d3bba5e69518cc3781eeb7d6d.gif

Baby cutter on gfs

I’m not entirely convinced the back end of our frontal boundary doesn’t produce at least light snow... there’s ALOT of energy associated, riding our trof, I’d feel better if I was in parts of NE, but we have a neutral trof, rotating negative over the area, a lot of instability... wouldn’t be shocked to see some decent squalls set up.

also something to note, there’s a lot of thing that could change, we’re still 6 days out... our frontal boundary could stall a bit further east, our ULL could be positioned more favorable etc

im still interested in thurs-Sat basically lol

E3E09CBF-FCF8-4B62-93DD-4061B88F0C82.png

This has the potential to become an incredibly cold and active 30 day period.

The 6th - 31st plus on the guidance will drop the hammer and probably become active.

What you are you seeing at 500 in terms of the locked off strength and position of the anomalies is something not modeled  that often.

Pattern before storms / which means they are going to come but the bigger event really will be the possible duration of what is being forecast.

7 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The EPS showing that would definitely give more weight to it. The Euro op last winter kept showing phantom snowstorms galore in the long range, which never materialized  

yes, i agree, not likely that a 160hr euro OP run happens exactly as it shows, but this is the model thread and we're talking about what the models are showing. that's all.

9 minutes ago, SnowBlitzkrieg said:

yes, i agree, not likely that a 160hr euro OP run happens exactly as it shows, but this is the model thread and we're talking about what the models are showing. that's all.

As I’ve been posting, gonna be hard pressed to enter this pattern, with a strike out, a lot of opportunities from different waves

Archived