SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2017 Temps, Chaos, Winter Mix, Snow, Christmas

nrgjeff

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As soon as I let a system go here it comes again. :rolleyes: Will see on the 0z runs if the current trend continues. The HRRR has remained encouraging. To add to the conversation I must say I appreciate, as others have the analysis and views that carver, jeff, john, jax, and others have contributed to the forum. They truly are the life blood of the forum and I'm glad you guys are here. Without you all there wouldn't even be a Tennessee Valley forum!

As soon as I let a system go here it comes again. :rolleyes: Will see on the 0z runs if the current trend continues. The HRRR has remained encouraging. To add to the conversation I must say I appreciate, as others have the analysis and views that carver, jeff, john, jax, and others have contributed to the forum. They truly are the life blood of the forum and I'm glad you guys are here. Without you all there wouldn't even be a Tennessee Valley forum!

The 0z NAM finally stopped the northwest trend for that model at least. It’s just hard for me to fathom all of that Gulf moisture hitting a brick wall. If the flow would just back up ever so slightly this could be a major storm. But major fluctuations this close aren’t going to happen. HRRR is encouraging to at least see some flakes tomorrow. I think that’s all we can hope for at this point. I’m rooting for our friends along the Gulf Coast. Rare setup for them.

42 minutes ago, 1234snow said:

The 0z NAM finally stopped the northwest trend for that model at least. It’s just hard for me to fathom all of that Gulf moisture hitting a brick wall. If the flow would just back up ever so slightly this could be a major storm. But major fluctuations this close aren’t going to happen. HRRR is encouraging to at least see some flakes tomorrow. I think that’s all we can hope for at this point. I’m rooting for our friends along the Gulf Coast. Rare setup for them.

Agreed, to see snowfall projected in Brownsville, Houston, and Baton Rouge of all places is surprising especially in early December and hopefully it pans out for them. Monitoring the projected radar on the RAP and HRRR like a hawk, I have noticed the RAP drifting northwest gradually hour by hour. The HRRR has for the most part has stayed in place throwing some snow showers at us on the fringe of the system. The NAM as you have mentioned has stopped drifting northwest pulling back some. What I'm really looking for is how sharp the cut off for precipitation will be. My expectations are in check (hopefully) IF all goes well a few of us may escape with a dusting. I for better or worse will stay up for the the globals. Following this I'm looking forward to seeing how the clipper plays out. The 12z EURO showed something worth a look imo. 

Never bet against a more north and west reality when it comes to a system from the gulf.  Time and time again the precip field will come north and west within 48-72 hours.  

Frustrating if you are in the southern rain/snow line, but a reason for optimism if you are on the northwest fringe.  Good luck to our mountains friends, perhaps a few in northeast TN will score a little white stuff too.

Euro is very dry for the 0z run with little precipitation over the blue ridge very similar to the 12z run. Of course the high res models paint another story. The HRRR remains encouraging in its locked solution. We have however reached the point of nowcasting. Goodnight everyone only time will tell...^_^

Have some snow flurries outside right now! Very small fine flakes, but hey, I'll take it. I wake up to see the GFS is now the western outlier, followed by the HRRR. The NAM/Euro aren't as enthusiastic. Almost seems like the GFS has overcorrected. GFS indicates that for the eastern valley, this evening into tonight is the time to look for any snow. Still, it seems way too aggressive. Maybe not, but I've seen it do this kind of stuff before. We will have to watch the radar today and see where the banding sets up. It's almost like it wants to develop a deformation band, and puts the eastern valley on the western side of it.

13z HRRR has three areas of steadier snows modeled.  The first is already underway for southeast TN and should spread into northeast TN later this morning.  A second area of enhanced precip is anticipated later this afternoon and a third shows overspreading the area after dark.  Might be hard to accumulate in areas where it remains light to moderate with an on and off nature to the snow, but areas that see heavier bursts will see snow covering just about everything pretty quickly.  Good luck to everyone from southeast TN and east of I-75 in TN.

Congrats to our brothers and sisters in western NC.  This looks textbook for them to enjoy a really SNOWY day!

Considering the height of the radar scan and snow appearing on radar, It would seem the snowfall is gradually breaking through the dry layer. In theory as snow continues to fall it should be depicted closer and closer to the radar in Morristown with lowering height of the scan leading towards it. On a side note the HRRR remains encouraging.

Snowfall Virga (1).png

10 minutes ago, BlunderStorm said:

Considering the height of the radar scan and snow appearing on radar, It would seem the snowfall is gradually breaking through the dry layer. In theory as snow continues to fall it should be depicted closer and closer to the radar in Morristown with lowering height of the scan leading towards it. On a side note the HRRR remains encouraging.

Snowfall Virga (1).png

Great Point!  Here you can see the phenomenon at 3 regional radars that are on the edge of the precip field, Tupelo, Hytop, and Morristown. 

Edge Radar Locations.jpg

Archived