Newest Member
    joxey
December 2017 Observations, reports

Avdave

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CummingGaSnow said:

My 24 hr high today was 37.6 at midnight but only hit 35.0 this afternoon. Much cooler than forecast. I wonder if model projections will continue to be too warm over the next week with incoming arctic intrusion.

I was actually 41 at midnight last night, but probably so.  They always forecast us to warm in northwest Georgia.  It was a full ten degrees warmer in northeast Georgia today.

Check out the SWS sent out from FFC a little while ago - radar is looking interesting.
Some central Al stations reporting light rain but didn't see anything frozen.  I'm at 34/26 (Roswell, GA).

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Peachtree City GA
1036 PM EST Tue Dec 26 2017

GAZ011>014-019>025-027-030>037-041>048-052>055-057-271400-
Chattooga-Gordon-Pickens-Dawson-Floyd-Bartow-Cherokee-Forsyth-
Hall-Banks-Jackson-Madison-Polk-Paulding-Cobb-North Fulton-
Gwinnett-Barrow-Clarke-Oconee-Haralson-Carroll-Douglas-
South Fulton-DeKalb-Rockdale-Walton-Newton-Heard-Coweta-Fayette-
Clayton-Henry-
1036 PM EST Tue Dec 26 2017

...Potential for Brief Wintry Mix Late Tonight...

Light precipitation is expected to overspread much of central and
north Georgia after midnight, tonight. The precipitation is
expected to mainly be in the form of a cold rain, however, brief
periods of light sleet could mix in with the rain, mainly along
and north of I-20, late tonight into early Wednesday morning.

No ice or sleet accumulations are expected as temperatures remain
above freezing. Along the far northern periphery of this area, a
few bridges and overpasses could become slick toward Wednesday
morning.

8 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

I was going to ask if you were seeing anything. I wonder how bay effect snow compares to lake effect. Enjoy!

Ive been in that area and have seen it happen, usually light accumulations, but you need very cold 850s and winds at around 360° as far as the direction. So it travels south down the bay over the most water possible. I always hoped for something like this when living near the bay but its rare. 

11 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

I was going to ask if you were seeing anything. I wonder how bay effect snow compares to lake effect. Enjoy!

As far as I know the process is the same - it's just that bay effect snow forms over a bay. From my experience living here in VB it occurs about once every winter, but a significant bay effect snow event happens once every couple of years. When it does accumulate, it's <1" in most cases. As @Snovary said, you need a temperature difference of 13 degrees celsius or more between the bay and 850s and a wind direction between 340 and 010 degrees. 360 works best for the longest fetch. 

Currently 24/14. Sun is starting to break out and it seems that the streamers are about to break up. This marks the 5th (or 6th if you count a few stray flakes yesterday) time it snowed this Dec in VB. Crazy that it didn't officially accumulate in any of those instances. 

Capture.JPG.f4cc725db98368aafbe3cdbfc5495f3b.JPG

4 minutes ago, sctvman said:

Freezing rain has started on the coast, as predicted. Actually cooler on the coast than inland. And farther north, there are snow reports. 

Kaley Collins (WPDE reporter): Seeing a report of snow mixed with freezing rain in Andrews. #scwx

I live just outside of Orangeburg and saw some flurries earlier

Archived