Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter String

George BM

1 hour ago, ers-wxman1 said:

You missed the whole point. 

Not really. I get what you are saying. It’s just drought doesn’t cause drought. Pattern causes drought. I know you know this, it’s just the wording is something that annoys me. For some reason people seem to be stuck on the drought thing.

The drought is a symptom not a catalyst.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Warrior Bigfoot said:

Not really. I get what you are saying. It’s just drought doesn’t cause drought. Pattern causes drought. I know you know this, it’s just the wording is something that annoys me. For some reason people seem to be stuck on the drought thing.

The drought is a symptom not a catalyst.

Patterns tend to linger for some length of time; hence, persistence.  There is some amount of feedback in any cycle, so to say that drought begats drought is not inaccurate.

1 minute ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Patterns tend to linger for some length of time; hence, persistence.  There is some amount of feedback in any cycle, so to say that drought begats drought is not inaccurate.

Agreed, like i said I just get caught up when folks think a current drought will persist because of the fact that there is and has been one. 

3 minutes ago, Jandurin said:

Do we need an increase or a decrease of stratospheric teleconnections?

Don't even worry about the strat. Generally, the troposphere and stratosphere are disconnected when it comes to sensible wx. What the strat can help with is high latitude blocking. However, we can get high latitude blocking in the troposphere with a hostile strat and vice versa. You will usually only hear strat chatter when things are sucking (like now). But even if the strat goes hog wild and helps develop high latitude blocking, the troposphere still rules the roost with sensible wx. 

Right now guidance seems to want to re-develop a -AO down the line. We'll know if that's real or a mirage in a week or so. 

8 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

NAMs love Jackpotville this year.   So happy I live north of I-70.

I thought that you lived in Gaithersburg. Any-who, it looks like you'd get screwed by the April Fools Day surprise snowstorm/blizzard that I'm weenieing up...... Marginal temperatures, heavy precipitation required to cool the column enough and all of that good stuff ;).

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I thought your forecast sucked cuz you hosed my yard. Come on dude. I thought we were friends. Stop looking at guidance and using your knowledge for a minute. 

Aren't you in montomery county?  Thought I said 1-3 for you. Although I would say the 3 is more likely north of 70.  Damascus sometimes does ok in these too from a DC centric pov. If I had to work in the D.C. area that's where I would live for sure. 

34 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Nine hour drive home done and back in Baltimore from the holiday trip to the in-laws. A ton of brine laid down on I-81 from the 66 split up to exit 315. I waved hi to Ji and Leesburg04 as I sailed by on 340...

Also a ton of brine laid down on 70 from Frederick all the way into 695 and through to my home. 

You are correct regarding the brine.  Just drove home and there was actually 1/4 inch accumulation of brine/chemicals  along some parts of 695.  Good storm so far. ;)

16 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

The gefs has an ice signal day 10-13 too. Most of the "snow" in that window is actually ice. Could go that way. This would be the setup for it. I'm split on ice. I remember in 94 living in Herndon being so upset that about 10 miles NW of me had solid snow/ice cover all winter. They would get 2/3" of snow/sleet with each event when I was getting just a coating then freezing rain. If it's the kind of ice storm where I end up with 3" of solid crud when it's over yes sign me up. But if it's mostly freezing rain and I end up having to break out my chainsaw on bare ground no thanks. For whatever stupid reason it's all about having my grass covered when the storm ends. If it is it's a win. If I see grass the storm was a fail. That's pretty much my bar for every event. 

How much ice accretion did you get in Herndon from the 1994 event?

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived