joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter String

George BM

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can’t for the life of me figure out how people prefer this weather to, say, last February. Some of you are nuts.

Upside: my father brought down some snow in his truck bed from PA when visiting yesterday. We shoveled it into the front yard. It’s still there. It’s blowing the neighbor’s minds as they drive by . :-)

4 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I can’t for the life of me figure out how people prefer this weather to, say, last February. Some of you are nuts.

Upside: my father brought down some snow in his truck bed from PA when visiting yesterday. We shoveled it into the front yard. It’s still there. It’s blowing the neighbor’s minds as they drive by . :-)

We should have a road trip up there, bring a few big trucks, ship some snow down here to form a base for when the big snows hit the Mid Atlantic this winter :)

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I had an unnecessary post earlier in the tracking thread and I feel bad about it. I think I’m usually pretty good with staying away when I have nothing meaningful to add.

Panic, frustration, disappointment or whatever you want to call it has stormed into this region with a vengeance and it’s getting to most of us, despite what we may tell ourselves.

Seriously, we need snow.

I can help. Want to be added to Jeb's Watch List? :lol:

Maybe we should try some reverse psychology.

The upcoming pattern reminds of the winter of 97-98.  Ahhh, I remember those fresh breezes and constant failures. You would open the back door and not see snow for miles.  For days, the models would show nothing, and then 3-4 days out, they would still show nothing - and then we got, out of nowhere, nothing!

The snowy owl irruption this winter continues in MD with confirmed sightings in Garrett and Carroll counties, Baltimore City, and two different locations in Harford county, all in the past seven days. Also an unconfirmed sighting in Prince George's county and Washington, DC, recently. It wouldn't be surprising if there are several unreported owls that are spending the winter on the eastern shore where there's a good chance of not being sighted, or at least reported.

The older males are generally the most solid and striking white color, while the females usually have some darker markings. I'm not sure, but the only confirmed reported male that I know of is in Garrett county, and the photo in the winter photo thread is a female.

That photo that I took is so far away that if I try to print a decent size of it, it will probably be pixelated, so my gf and I are packing up some gear for the day and heading up to Harford county to try to get some new shots. I don't expect to get anything, but there's a brewery in Bel Air that's worth the trip on its own.

4 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

The snowy owl irruption this winter continues in MD with confirmed sightings in Garrett and Carroll counties, Baltimore City, and two different locations in Harford county, all in the past seven days. Also an unconfirmed sighting in Prince George's county and Washington, DC, recently. It wouldn't be surprising if there are several unreported owls that are spending the winter on the eastern shore where there's a good chance of not being sighted, or at least reported.

The older males are generally the most solid and striking white color, while the females usually have some darker markings. I'm not sure, but the only confirmed reported male that I know of is in Garrett county, and the photo in the winter photo thread is a female.

That photo that I took is so far away that if I try to print a decent size of it, it will probably be pixelated, so my gf and I are packing up some gear for the day and heading up to Harford county to try to get some new shots. I don't expect to get anything, but there's a brewery in Bel Air that's worth the trip on its own.

Good luck man. I photographed a snowy owl in Dec ‘13. Also got a snow bunting that same day.

Do you get the rare bird alerts

4 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Sounds like an awesome day all around, enjoy! Hope you get a pic or two

18 hours ago, eurojosh said:

Poll idea - 

In the absence of snow, I would prefer that it be-

(a) Colder than a winter's midnight in Antarctica during the last ice age;

(b) Hotter than an a-bomb test in midday in Death Valley;

(c) Hurricane season again.

(a) All of the way. BN that's not record shattering is boring.

12 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I had an unnecessary post earlier in the tracking thread and I feel bad about it. I think I’m usually pretty good with staying away when I have nothing meaningful to add.

Panic, frustration, disappointment or whatever you want to call it has stormed into this region with a vengeance and it’s getting to most of us, despite what we may tell ourselves.

Seriously, we need snow.

5a450a6ff1fdc_Reaperdying.JPG.7428e61a52d2c7226407d5b74cff8ac0.JPG

I was given a big bird yesterday......

Was in left lane to turn onto a 2 lane street and was stopped at the red arrow. Guy in blue van pulls out of business close to the intersection and pulls up to his red light....in MY LANE!! So, my arrow turns green, I have nowhere to go, guy behind me honks horn. I point to the guy sitting in wrong lane and with two fingers do a back and forth trying to let him know he is in wrong lane, and I immediately get the 'you're #1" signal. I pull up and have JUST enough room to turn without hitting curb and again do the back and forth and point over, again with the 'flip', the car that was behind him in correct lane then pulled rest of way up to intersection, beeped and waved at him. The look on the dummies face was priceless as he hung his head down.

2 minutes ago, Warrior Bigfoot said:

Good luck man. I photographed a snowy owl in Dec ‘13. Also got a snow bunting that same day.

Do you get the rare bird alerts

Thanks! I definitely need luck to get a good photo. And no, I don't get the alerts, but I check the site regularly during the winter. I'm not a birder, but I enjoy camera hunting for wildlife and rare birds are fun to find. Pretty cool that you got your picture during 13-14. I drove all over that winter to find one, and actually canoed over to Assateague Island from Ocean City to hike down to the bridge in the hopes and hopefully the pattern for four year irruptions continues.

@wxdude64  Thanks, brother.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived