Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December Banter String

George BM

16 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Gotta toot my own horn!

http://brilliantstream.com/2017/12/stumptown-ales-wins-title/

This beer stuff is way more fun than real work.

I'm almost done with the attorney gig.

That’s awesome! And well-deserved! I am out and on my phone so haven’t read the article completely, but look forward to reading it.

Congratulations!

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, WVclimo said:

Strongly agree.  Much-below normal temps have become so rare that I am going to enjoy it as much as possible. 

At MRB in 2017, there have been 221 above-normal days and only 121 below.  What's worse, 81 days have been at least +10 vs. only 14 that were -10.  And 13 days exceeded 20 degrees above normal.  There were no comparable below-normal departures.

i don't even like the cold tbh, but i find this to be more enjoyable to track storms because there's no concern about the rain/snow line.  it's like we're temporarily living in the upper midwest.  this isn't a big snow pattern and even the water vapor imagery shows just how broad the flow is right now (the gulf is on vacation), but we could still get clipper'd.

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Compared to the last few Decembers this one has been great, but as NPZ says, this is pretty much average on balance. This cold snap may end up being very impressive though. 

December is 1/3 of met winter. I'm not on the March is a winter month train around here. Even though we've gotten off to a great start relative to the last few seasons, aside from the -EPO, I haven't been too optimistic with Atlantic blocking, which is important in giving us a meaningful shot at more than nickel and dime events. When a season is built on a house of cards like that, sure, we may work our way into a productive pattern during peak climo, but I think any objective tracker would have to consider the possibility of a flip to something far less favorable eventually.

Not saying that'll happen, but when was the last time we had essentially wall to wall cold during a winter?

My philosophy has always been produce while you have a chance to because tomorrow is not guaranteed. 

I had to check when you aid we were AN.

DCA is +1.9 :lol: 

Just curious— why the dismissal of March?  The March events in 2014 and 2015 were quality, and even 2017 and 2013 had DCA’s largest events in March as you know.

I guess growing up in the area, neither December nor March were really noteable as having a leg up on the other. March 84, 93, 94, 96 had a very good storm. December 82, 89, 90 had a very good storm. Then, post college, the early December coincidence started. Cool. And then the past half-decade was the March roar while December lost the 5th event. Cool.

Anyone here have a weather station?  I ordered a Davis Vantage Pro 2 for the McHenry house which should be here tomorrow.  I’ve read that on the roof is the best location but I’d prefer to attach it to the top of a pole that I’ll attach to the side of the deck...will that impact readings substantially enough to make it worth installing on the roof? 

18 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Anyone here have a weather station?  I ordered a Davis Vantage Pro 2 for the McHenry house which should be here tomorrow.  I’ve read that on the roof is the best location but I’d prefer to attach it to the top of a pole that I’ll attach to the side of the deck...will that impact readings substantially enough to make it worth installing on the roof? 

Instruction manual for mine said to put it in a shaded area, but the readings have been obviously warm for about a month now. Either my house has a heat island effect, or it's just a bad spot. Side of deck seems like a safe bet. 

1 hour ago, usedtobe said:

But we usually don't get to the average as the median is below the mean.   I bet only about a 1/3 of our winters have above average snowfall though I haven't looked it up. 

we're definitely skewed by the good winters.  if we didn't get blizzards here, we'd probably average 8-10" in the city per year, or so.

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

My comment is more of a subjective statement. I've only been here a few years, and I know we can definitely produce in March, but my guess is that most winters March is not really a majority winter month. Much of that is climo of course, but by the time we get to mid-late March in DC, more often than not, we're probably barreling toward spring. At least there is a bit of a step down in December.

Set me straight if the data says otherwise :P 

Somebody put this clown on the watch list!!

Just now, PhineasC said:

March is a winter month now and December is late Fall. That’s why this December has been awesome so far. Some snow and a cold outbreak. Also, plenty to track. 

Very true. For once it's actually felt like winter so far this December. Something the past 3 Decembers haven't done

6 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

I'm watching my 600lb life I mean how? I can see getting to 500lbs but 600?

Very poor self control I'm assuming. People who get addicted to food as if it were a powerful drug or something like that. 

Also, people that enable that sort of lifestyle that are in their lives too. 

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

What color is the deck. My station runs about 2f warmer because of the brown deck.

2 hours ago, nj2va said:

Congratulations on your new station.  Hope you got the wireless version.  Wireless is the way to go...

Can't help but chuckle at the question though...  It may be easier to count how many here don't have a weather station.  I'm on my third in my 56 year existence.  Built my first in the 5th grade - was a Heathkit.  Soldered all the components on the board myself and installed the outdoor unit on top of my dad's 45' antenna tower.  When I was done and it worked as designed, felt like I was farting through silk...  It even withstood the winds of the blizzard of 78 in Ohio. 

Current station is a run of the mill Davis Vantage VUE.  Very elementary unit compared to your Pro 2. 

Agree with the other thoughts about not mounting it on the roof.  Your Pro 2 has an outdoor unit that uses a CR123 battery for backup power.  Plan on replacing the batter about every 2 years or so.  And you don't want to deal with that on the roof. 

I mounted my outdoor unit on a flat location in our yard away from the asphalt parking lot about 8 feet above the ground.  Used 1-1/2" galvanized pipe.  Drove one section of pipe into the ground about 2 feet and used a union to attach the 8 foot section above grade.  That way if I ever need to replace the pipe all I have to do is unscrew the existing pipe and install a new one.  8 feet above grade is not high enough if you REALLY need accurate measurements, but it's fine for my hobbyist inclinations.

34 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I had an unnecessary post earlier in the tracking thread and I feel bad about it. I think I’m usually pretty good with staying away when I have nothing meaningful to add.

Panic, frustration, disappointment or whatever you want to call it has stormed into this region with a vengeance and it’s getting to most of us, despite what we may tell ourselves.

Seriously, we need snow.

Don't beat yourself up about it.  Many of us are getting a bit tense from the lack of snow satisfaction.  When we have something to track, I stay up half the night consuming the dialogue at the expense of sleep.  As things are now, I'm not sleeping well at all out of fear we're going to relieve last season, if we can even call last year a "season".  This cold and the projected continuance of it, even if noteworthy, is nowhere near as gratifying as a solid white ground cover and 20's... 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Glad I'm not sailing in the Atlantic tonight. They may only be 1018mb but that gang of lows is out to kick some serious ass.

rgem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_6.png

When I was bored during a sermon once, I drew a swarm of hurricane symbols like that heading towards FL and literally laughed out loud at the absurdity: 

“Category 45 (5x9!): Hurricane Swarm!”

3 hours ago, Warrior Bigfoot said:

What color is the deck. My station runs about 2f warmer because of the brown deck.

The deck is brown but the corner where I’m going to attach the pole is 15 feet off the ground. And the pole is about 6 feet. 

2 hours ago, RDM said:

Congratulations on your new station.  Hope you got the wireless version.  Wireless is the way to go...

Can't help but chuckle at the question though...  It may be easier to count how many here don't have a weather station.  I'm on my third in my 56 year existence.  Built my first in the 5th grade - was a Heathkit.  Soldered all the components on the board myself and installed the outdoor unit on top of my dad's 45' antenna tower.  When I was done and it worked as designed, felt like I was farting through silk...  It even withstood the winds of the blizzard of 78 in Ohio. 

Current station is a run of the mill Davis Vantage VUE.  Very elementary unit compared to your Pro 2. 

Agree with the other thoughts about not mounting it on the roof.  Your Pro 2 has an outdoor unit that uses a CR123 battery for backup power.  Plan on replacing the batter about every 2 years or so.  And you don't want to deal with that on the roof. 

I mounted my outdoor unit on a flat location in our yard away from the asphalt parking lot about 8 feet above the ground.  Used 1-1/2" galvanized pipe.  Drove one section of pipe into the ground about 2 feet and used a union to attach the 8 foot section above grade.  That way if I ever need to replace the pipe all I have to do is unscrew the existing pipe and install a new one.  8 feet above grade is not high enough if you REALLY need accurate measurements, but it's fine for my hobbyist inclinations.

Yeah I don’t need 100% accurate measurements  just looking for as close to that as possible within reasonable settings. Your method seems very legit and it gives me an alternative if the deck doesn’t work out. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I had an unnecessary post earlier in the tracking thread and I feel bad about it. I think I’m usually pretty good with staying away when I have nothing meaningful to add.

Panic, frustration, disappointment or whatever you want to call it has stormed into this region with a vengeance and it’s getting to most of us, despite what we may tell ourselves.

Seriously, we need snow.

Oh goodie, entertainment :P 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived