Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December Banter String

George BM

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

We are off this week and instead of taking a 'big' trip, we are opting for some day trips including Frederick and a stop in Flying Dog. If you have any reason to make the trip across the great divide to un-civilization this week, let us know the day and we could meet up for a drink. Otherwise, if I see any of the CM stout at the brewery, maybe we could pick it up for you. We are thinking of visiting Rock Hall this week too.

Thanks, I am off to another family gathering tomorrow(in Reisterstown) but unfortunately no time to take a detour. I am back to work Thursday. Enjoy the tour! My sister and her husband just went a couple weeks ago and loved it. She has a few of the CM stouts so I'll steal one of hers tomorrow lol. I may stop at one of my go to places on Kent Island tomorrow heading up. They should have it. 

3 minutes ago, Goat_Fuente said:

Any go to ponds for pond hockey in northern VA? Looking like temps could be low enough for it, asked reddit if they knew anything and I got downvoted into an abyss. 

Lol. Yeah, you probably won’t find any links that publicize pond skating around here because everyone is sue happy. But even with all the expected cold, it’ll be awhile before anything is close to safe for skating. Best bet is to start doing recon for a small shaded pond in the woods or a construction site temporary drainage pond.

23 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Forums are an interesting human study place. Even though we are all just digital presences, sometimes I feel bad for some folks in real life. Some folks are 100% negative 100% of the time. That's no way to live man. 

They take pleasure from being contrarian to everything they can and it's toxic, just have to ignore them in the long run.

24 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Lol. Yeah, you probably won’t find any links that publicize pond skating around here because everyone is sue happy. But even with all the expected cold, it’ll be awhile before anything is close to safe for skating. Best bet is to start doing recon for a small shaded pond in the woods or a construction site temporary drainage pond.

I'm waiting for the 4-day cumulative average temp to drop below 26 degrees F before I consider it, I'll look around there's a ton of small shaded ponds around here if you can find them.

27 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Forums are an interesting human study place. Even though we are all just digital presences, sometimes I feel bad for some folks in real life. Some folks are 100% negative 100% of the time. That's no way to live man. 

I feel the same way. Nothing productive comes from always being negative. I was probably the one most attached to the snow event. Stayed up all night once, lived and died by the models, but it's hard to get mad when it busts medium range. We will get our chances. I mean, it could also be because I'm probably one of the post positive people in real life. 

14 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I feel the same way. Nothing productive comes from always being negative. I was probably the one most attached to the snow event. Stayed up all night once, lived and died by the models, but it's hard to get mad when it busts medium range. We will get our chances. I mean, it could also be because I'm probably one of the post positive people in real life. 

you would have hated growing up in the 80s/90s. winter storm warnings at night, and the next morning all you see were scraps and wet pavement from borderline temps.  i can think of a few times that happened, and they were especially bad at predicting those disorganized systems that had a tendency to dry up as they move east over the mountains.  models have come a long way, but still aren't great at the minor or localized events.

23 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I tend to think of myself as being a positive person in life but god damn I feel bad for some of these people that get so worked up and so excited to have their hopes and dreams literally crushed. I’ve been monitoring almost every run for the last week now, knowing the pattern has a legitimate chance and I gotta tell you it is so frustrating for the Euro, EPS, GFS and GEFS be in amazing agreement for the storm that was supposed to hit this Friday, only to vaporize. Now people are getting their hopes and dreams up again for this weekend. With the verification score of the Euro and the fact it shows nothing remotely close is going to crush these dreams again. The 18z cmc actually looked a little better for reference, so there’s that. I do feel for some of these guys. Winter is my absolute fav time of year so.. 

40 minutes ago, Goat_Fuente said:

I'm waiting for the 4-day cumulative average temp to drop below 26 degrees F before I consider it, I'll look around there's a ton of small shaded ponds around here if you can find them.

Get on google maps and use the satellite view. You'll surprise yourself how many are around. The best ones are hidden from view from all houses/buildings and aren't on private prop of course. There isn't a legal skating pond in suburban VA or MD so keep that in mind. The canal is the only local natural skating area but it gets busy and it's narrow. Spend some time scoping and checking depth. Shallower the better for obvious reasons. 

I have the perfect one 2 miles from my house. It's a mile walk in the woods from the public parking. Good path but rarely used. Houses back against the parkland but the pond sits in a natural valley so nobody can see it. Deepest part is 6' in the middle but if you stay within 50' of the bank it's never deeper than 2-3' so you can't kill yourself. A group of teens from the neighborhood next to it do a good job sweeping the snow and even finishing the ice with water from the creek and brooms. They even leave makeshift goals so it's fun practicing slap shots and stuff. lolAbout the size of 1.5 rinks so it's got some room too. 

XAkQLby.jpg

5 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

I tend to think of myself as being a positive person in life but god damn I feel bad for some of these people that get so worked up and so excited to have their hopes and dreams literally crushed. I’ve been monitoring almost every run for the last week now, knowing the pattern has a legitimate chance and I gotta tell you it is so frustrating for the Euro, EPS, GFS and GEFS be in amazing agreement for the storm that was supposed to hit this Friday, only to vaporize. Now people are getting their hopes and dreams up again for this weekend. With the verification score of the Euro and the fact it shows nothing remotely close is going to crush these dreams again. The 18z cmc actually looked a little better for reference, so there’s that. I do feel for some of these guys. Winter is my absolute fav time of year so.. 

Just go with this basic rule of thumb....don't get invested until inside of 4 days. Tracking and getting invested are 2 entirely different things. Models are incredible but banking on a specific threat outside of 4 days will cause hearth ache instead of pleasure 90% of the time. What we are going through right now is completely normal and will happen every single year and multiple times at that. If you stick to the inside of 4 days rule you will knock down a lot of wins without stress. The longer you venture outside of that the more more gut punches and nark kicks you get. lol

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Just go with this basic rule of thumb....don't get invested until inside of 4 days. Tracking and getting invested are 2 entirely different things. Models are incredible but banking on a specific threat outside of 4 days will cause hearth ache instead of pleasure 90% of the time. What we are going through right now is completely normal and will happen every single year and multiple times at that. If you stick to the inside of 4 days rule you will knock down a lot of wins without stress. The longer you venture outside of that the more more gut punches and nark kicks you get. lol

I was spoiled my whole life up until 2011 living in northwestern Connecticut. All the heartaches we experience these days I cashed in on. Our time will come. Just need a few minor details to work themselves out. The pattern is so darn touchy right now. 

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

@Bob Chill

ala War Games...

”You’re giving away all of our secrets!”

Seiously, you’re lucky to have so many park areas that hide that stuff. I’ve got reservoirs.

Nah, I could care less who knows about it. Heck, it would be fun to see more people there and play a little hockey. There is literally ZERO patrol in this part of the park and it takes 20 mins from the parking lot to get there. I don't even think the cops would come on the outside chance that someone in the neighborhood called them. LOL

2 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

@Cobalt I think you need some proportionality about what is actually a bad bust. Your enthusiasm to post here is cool with me (if not all others), but if you think this past March event and 2/15-16/15 were bad busts, man-oh-man is it going to be rough for you over the years...

We all...I mean ALL learn the hard way. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Nah, I could care less who knows about it. Heck, it would be fun to see more people there and play a little hockey. There is literally ZERO patrol in this part of the park and it takes 20 mins from the parking lot to get there. I don't even think the cops would come on the outside chance that someone in the neighborhood called them. LOL

It’s been awhile, but let me know if it freezes. I’d lace up my Bauer’s!

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Man, NW CT was the spot. Even now when you think there's going to be better stuff in central CT you have to go with the ole deformation band ending up further NW into that area.

I just remember that deform band from Blizzard of 2013 that dumped 30"+ in NW CT. crazy stuff

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Man, NW CT was the spot. Even now when you think there's going to be better stuff in central CT you have to go with the ole deformation band ending up further NW into that area.

Dude I’m telling you man. It seems like every storm almost always overperformed up my way. We had elevation on our side too, about 1500ft. Ice storms always got us nice too. Moved down this way bc of the wife’s side of the family and her wanting to relocate but I would die for a pattern like southern New England gets down this way for everyone.

2 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I just remember that deform band from Blizzard of 2013 that dumped 30"+ in NW CT. crazy stuff

2010-2011 year I believe was our record year. Had over 100” I believe. Mailman got pissed off because I literally had nowhere else to shovel the snow lol. I remember one storm that year we got like 30 some odd inches and two days later were under a warning for another 8-10. It was epic. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived