• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    chrislittlenews
    Newest Member
    chrislittlenews

December Banter String

13 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Wth??  HM can't have an original thought?

Even a blond squirrel... 

Never seen one of those. Do they have more fun than other squirrels?

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It's a giant pile of sleet. They get straight up sleeted on. Maybe that's how Brownsville Tx got its name. From lots of sleet being dumped there. 

My site in Texas would be straight up pi**ed if they got what the GFS was dishing out. They picked up 4" a few weeks ago with an arctic front and and serious isentropic upglide. They average a 0.5" a year haha. They were shoveling snow with garden spades. 

4 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

Yep. Some of the fluffiest and 'western' type snow I've ever seen here in my 50+ years fell on 1/29/14. Picked up 5.1 inches of snow on 0.11, a 46-1 ratio! Other CO-OPs in area were in the 50+ to 1 range! Course the high and low for the day was 16.2/2.5.......

When I lived in CO I used to call the avalanche center recorded line every single day. I didn't think twice about this back then because ratios wasnt something i thought much about but when they would do a storm disco they would include ratios because it was important for avalanche conditions. 10 or 12:1 would get tagged as "low ratio high water content events". 15-20:1 was standard ratio. And over 20:1 was considered prime "blower" type of snow. When the CAIC used to use the term blower I knew sick powder conditions were imminent. 

The biggest "blower event" I ever experienced was in Monarch near Crested Butte. 40" in 24 hours the day before we had a backcountry snowcat trip planned. We looked like moles and not people coming down the chutes. I remember it like yesterday and it was 22 years ago.  40" of snow offered little resistance and just blew up and over your head. God I miss those years....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

When I lived in CO I used to call the avalanche center recorded line every single day. I didn't think twice about this back then because ratios wasnt something i thought much about but when they would do a storm disco they would include ratios because it was important for avalanche conditions. 10 or 12:1 would get tagged as "low ratio high water content events". 15-20:1 was standard ratio. And over 20:1 was considered prime "blower" type of snow. When the CAIC used to use the term blower I knew sick powder conditions were imminent. 

The biggest "blower event" I ever experienced was in Monarch near Crested Butte. 40" in 24 hours the day before we had a backcountry snowcat trip planned. We looked like moles and not people coming down the chutes. I remember it like yesterday and it was 32 years ago.  40" of snow offered little resistance and just blew up and over your head. God I miss those years....

That part about the blower event is pretty crazy. My family and I have gone skiing in Park City for the past 4 years during Spring break, and we have yet to see snow while we were there. Last year we weren't going anywhere during Spring break, so my Dad decided to plan a trip with my brother and I on a 4 day weekend to Park City. We lucked out, as there was a snowstorm happening while we were there. 12-18" of snow overnight at the base, and it was one of the best experiences I've had skiing in a long time. Can't imagine how fun 40" of snow had to be, especially with blowing snow with high ratios.

It's going to be a blast watching any system unfold on GOES-16. Will be saving gifs throughout any set up using multiple different bands. WV and True Color will be a thing of beauty

• Like 3

I know it's minor and all but it really gets my goat that I can't even look at the gfs and get a decent idea of temps around the Bay. Apparently water boils at the sfc up here

8 minutes ago, Warrior Bigfoot said:

I know it's minor and all but it really gets my goat that I can't even look at the gfs and get a decent idea of temps around the Bay. Apparently water boils at the sfc up here

if the upcoming pattern checks out you should start seeing pancake ice and frazil across the bay a couple of days after new years. Hard to boil that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warrior Bigfoot said:

Yes, it is annoying that these models have been "upgraded" to always show a warm punch in the area from the "bay effect." It's way overemphasized based on my lifetime in the area, especially in big cold storms.

• Like 1

this is the part of the hobby that's exhausting and probably a good idea to keep things rational. storm is still 7 days away or whatever, and we know what can happen with that.  hopefully things pan out, but yea...still a ways off.

7 minutes ago, mappy said:

Seriously, the longer I look at that CPC map, the more cartographic mistakes I see. 

I am beginning to wonder if you could make a better map the longer I look at it

44 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Where’s @yoda been? Haven’t seen him post the last few days as we’ve been tracking the potential. 

I've been around... haven't been posting much in the main tracking thread

35 minutes ago, Warrior Bigfoot said:

Hr 84 on the 00z gfs is more amped, juicier, thicker, just all around better. Should be a crushjob at 192 for NEMD...

Wtf is going on? I really have no words...