Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Banter String

George BM

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The bad thing with the gfs and cmc is they are both weaker with the trailing shortwave and it starts way at the beginning of the runs. If that piece really is weak like that and digs less then this one is over for us and maybe sne too

I'm okay with that. :P

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Same with me. If we don't get snow, 

No One Gets Snow

Except for Canada, they're cool. 

Trust me, when it's snowing in April or May after having snowed since (usually) October, the novelty is long gone (normally the novelty is gone way before then, unless it's been dry and the snow would be useful).  And it's close to 40 below at home right now, so I have no cause to complain about the weather here.

40 minutes ago, fourseasons said:

Trust me, when it's snowing in April or May after having snowed since (usually) October, the novelty is long gone (normally the novelty is gone way before then, unless it's been dry and the snow would be useful).  And it's close to 40 below at home right now, so I have no cause to complain about the weather here.

Since this made me sound slightly, well, grumpy, having lived in Canada for a good chunk of my life and the DC area for another good chunk of it, I've seen two sides of the snow equation.  Up at home (near Edmonton), the only month I've never seen snow falling is July.  Usually the first snow happens in October and shuts off in April, give or take a few weeks.  It's considered safe to plant your annuals in the last part of May.  While the snow is also generally the fluffy stuff that fell around here in the last 24 hours or so, months and months of shoveling batches and batches of snow along with months and months of cold, especially if it shows up early or stays late, does get annoying.

That being said, while here there isn't the sustained snow on the ground/keep the shovel handy/get used to driving on snow-packed residential streets just because, I can't recall the last time the citizenry in the Edmonton area got to shovel a foot+ of wet cement, like what happens here from time to time.  It's just a climate thing.  When I've had to do that here I've been sure to send the family pictures of my efforts.  For the record, the first major snowfall I experienced here was the late January 2000 storm.  I remember walking up the middle of an unplowed Connecticut Avenue.

P.S. If the forecast holds, it'll be warmer there than it will be here at the end of this week.

2 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

Sure. I pay bge, so, yeah. Record cold is stupid and expensive and murders snow chances. 09/10 wasn’t cold. But it was snowy as possible. Eff record cold. Useless.

I think you and I don't remember the same winter. Dec 09 was a -1.8, Jan 10 was a -3.3 and Feb 10 was a -6.9. In those 90 days 68.5 inches of snow with snowcover 66 of those 90 days including two 30+ day in a row stretches and the entire month of Feb. Maybe Baltimore didn't do as well, but here it was epic.

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I never want to see snow from about mid-April to mid-October. That's peak nice day --> blowtorch/severe --> peak nice day climo. I never want to waste that. 

If you don't mind my asking, what brought you to DC?

I remember once in early April being outdoors in the Banff Municipal Hot Springs, temp around 25-30F, with light snow.  I would feel my blood pressure going down, get out of the water, and less than a minute later I'd want back in.

This year the first snow up at home (amount was about what happened this weekend) was right around the end of September.  I do recall a Halloween or two when the snow was very much present and it was so cold that my dad drove us around for the obligatory visits to friends' houses.  It was important to make the costume larger than required if it had to go over the snowsuit.

After seeing MN Transplant's posts in the December Obs thread about his backyard rink I should thank my dad for his years of making one for us, but without a tarp.  Instead, he packed down the snow for the base.  Somehow the water line to the hose bib never froze.

As for why I showed up:  Internship.  Shocking!

5 hours ago, fourseasons said:

Since this made me sound slightly, well, grumpy, having lived in Canada for a good chunk of my life and the DC area for another good chunk of it, I've seen two sides of the snow equation.  Up at home (near Edmonton), the only month I've never seen snow falling is July.  Usually the first snow happens in October and shuts off in April, give or take a few weeks.  It's considered safe to plant your annuals in the last part of May.  While the snow is also generally the fluffy stuff that fell around here in the last 24 hours or so, months and months of shoveling batches and batches of snow along with months and months of cold, especially if it shows up early or stays late, does get annoying.

That being said, while here there isn't the sustained snow on the ground/keep the shovel handy/get used to driving on snow-packed residential streets just because, I can't recall the last time the citizenry in the Edmonton area got to shovel a foot+ of wet cement, like what happens here from time to time.  It's just a climate thing.  When I've had to do that here I've been sure to send the family pictures of my efforts.  For the record, the first major snowfall I experienced here was the late January 2000 storm.  I remember walking up the middle of an unplowed Connecticut Avenue.

P.S. If the forecast holds, it'll be warmer there than it will be here at the end of this week.

That would be PURE HEAVEN for me! I would be in straight-up Heaven! Getting to dig snow from blizzard after blizzard after blizzard after blizzard after blizzard after blizzard in subzero weather with strong winds, would be a HIGH HIGH for me! I'd want the plows to plow me in but good with 30 foot banks of pure snow! I can dig it!

Don't make me have to go up there and show Alberta folks how to dig the snow!

21 minutes ago, Jebman said:

That would be PURE HEAVEN for me! I would be in straight-up Heaven! Getting to dig snow from blizzard after blizzard after blizzard after blizzard after blizzard after blizzard in subzero weather with strong winds, would be a HIGH HIGH for me! I'd want the plows to plow me in but good with 30 foot banks of pure snow! I can dig it!

Don't make me have to go up there and show Alberta folks how to dig the snow!

Honestly, I almost added at the end of my posts:  Waiting for Jebman...  ;)

In my part of Alberta over 30 cm of snow in one dump is an outlier.  But on average we'll get around 130 cm (51 inches) for the year.

As for where you should go to shovel in Canadian cold, consult here and here.  Basically, book your visit to parts of British Columbia or Newfoundland and Labrador (the latter has Screech, which is Newfie rum).  Parts of Quebec are an alternative.

4 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

I think you and I don't remember the same winter. Dec 09 was a -1.8, Jan 10 was a -3.3 and Feb 10 was a -6.9. In those 90 days 68.5 inches of snow with snowcover 66 of those 90 days including two 30+ day in a row stretches and the entire month of Feb. Maybe Baltimore didn't do as well, but here it was epic.

We do.  I was saying 09/10 was awesome for the snow, not the cold. It wasn’t an epic cold winter - in fact people complained about how it warmed up after each of the epic blizzards. It’s a matter of expectations - for me big storms are my muse and I don’t expect living where we do to have weeks and weeks of deep snow cover - this isn’t Vermont. We  had the snow cover we did because we had so much so snow- not becaus we were generally chasing zero degree temps. 

My life experience has been that epic cold doesn’t translate down in these parts (or in Ohio where I grew up) to big storms. Epic cold tends to be hella dry. I would rather dance the 32 line with a huge storm than dance 0 and dry. 

The pattern we are in currently is closer to the latter and the murdering of the strength of each shortwave as we get close in time seems to prove that out. That can work for Boston, since they are in an area to revive short waves. Harder here. 

PS- you wanna chase sub zero readings after we’ve laid down a foot of snow? I am right there with you. But if the big cold arrives sans snow, that’s bad from my point of view...in terms of wanting snow.

Here’s my summer corollary - when people are chasing the big heat days , it’s not usually a stormy pattern (other than those few miles that cash in on pop-ups) - days where people are giving inner hour readings of the temps as we try to get to record highs tend to be dry. Clashes of air masses are where it’s at for storms - which is my favorite kind of weather...

(I’m not a fan of big heat either - much like I hate big cold) - gimme wet. 

Simply a matter of outlook. Others are different. For me, I need a re-shuffle. 

4 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

I am fully anticipating the Ravens to come out flatter than 3 day old open can of Budweiser today because that's what we do best in big regular season games with playoffs on the line. Can't wait to see 1v1 coverage by Carr on AJ Green because Dean Pees is worthless. Hope I'm wrong

You wont be wrong on the game being horribly coordinated. Thats a given. They may still pull out an ugly win in spite of that though. The one outcome I would be shocked to see is a convincing, take care of business win. You know, the type of thing the patriots do all the time.

37 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

My life experience has been that epic cold doesn’t translate down in these parts (or in Ohio where I grew up) to big storms. Epic cold tends to be hella dry. I would rather dance the 32 line with a huge storm than dance 0 and dry. 

The pattern we are in currently is closer to the latter and the murdering of the strength of each shortwave as we get close in time seems to prove that out. That can work for Boston, since they are in area to revive short waves. Harder here. 

PS- you wanna chase sub zero readings after we’ve laid down a foot of snow? I am right there with you. But if the big cold arrives sans snow, that’s bad from my point of view...in terms of wanting snow.

I doubt anyone here rooted for it to be cold and dry with no snow. That is the pattern we are in, like it or not. It wont last forever. This cold period might have been different with some help in the NA/WA. At least the ground is whitened now, and that wont be melting anytime soon, although it could well sublimate away. We will be back to marginal cold soon enough, probably in a wetter pattern, and sitting on the razors edge with p-type concerns for every threat. 

Some of us enjoy all sorts of weather, and embrace what we get. We dont get these prolonged well BN periods often, so I think it does have some appeal. I burn wood to keep the heating bills lower, and take walks and hikes in the refreshing Arctic cold air on frozen ground. Some will be ice skating on ponds soon, if not already. This type of cold does provide other opportunities, if not much snow.

5 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I doubt anyone here rooted for it to be cold and dry with no snow. That is the pattern we are in, like it or not. It wont last forever. This cold period might have been different with some help in the NA/WA. At least the ground is whitened now, and that wont be melting anytime soon, although it could well sublimate away. We will be back to marginal cold soon enough, probably in a wetter pattern, and sitting on the razors edge with p-type concerns for every threat. 

Some of us enjoy all sorts of weather, and embrace what we get. We dont get these prolonged well BN periods often, so I think it does have some appeal. I burn wood to keep the heating bills lower, and take walks and hikes in the refreshing Arctic cold air on frozen ground. Some will be ice skating on ponds soon, if not already. This type of cold does provide other opportunities, if not much snow.

Well said!

36 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

You wont be wrong on the game being horribly coordinated. Thats a given. They may still pull out an ugly win in spite of that though. The one outcome I would be shocked to see is a convincing, take care of business win. You know, the type of thing the patriots do all the time.

I still think we get the job done, but like you said, we'll barely squeak by. Then we'll go into the playoffs and win convincingly in round 1. Then who knows after that. If we do go to the playoffs, I definitely don't want to play the Steelers. God only knows they won't adjust on AB ever. Pees would probably go zone all game instead of safety help over top. You know, what should happen every damn time we play them. Smh

36 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

30 minutes ago, weathertree4u said:

Well said!

Yes. Perfectly said.

3 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Yes. Perfectly said.

Thanks. I just dont get the mentality that we should sit around and sulk because it's super cold with little snow. Protocol seems to be its ok to chase the bitter cold and celebrate it- as long as it comes on the heels of a snowstorm. Otherwise you gotta openly hate it, or you might upset some snow weenies. lol. 

33 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Four accumulating snow events already, some arctic cold...I can think of a lot worse ways for winter to have started.  Particularly in a Nina year. 

Zero winter storm watches. Zero warnings. Nickel and dime events are ok, but they are not my muse. I know Ji knows where I am coming from. 

51 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Ditto. My ground isn't even white, but I am enjoying the cold! Burn wood like you, and walked in the coolness of the day yesterday. Heck I search it out, and usually head up to a favorite trail that sits 3700-4000 foot elevation just to enjoy. Won't get one in today as headed out the door shortly for church then I am on 2nd shift this week.

@nw baltimore wx

@mattie g

My (Beer) line-up for today/tonight/tomorrow-

1 Dogfish Head WWS(original)

1 Founders Breakfast Stout

1 Boulevard Whiskey Barrel Imperial Stout

1 Dominion Oak Barrel Stout

1 Founders Dirty Bastard

1 Dogfish Head Pennylvania Tuxedo Pale Ale  <----interesting one, and surprisingly good..

"Brewed in collaboration with family-run outdoor clothing company Woolrich, Pennsylvania Tuxedo is a sessionable concoction with a grassy citrus kick complemented by the resinous conifer notes of fresh green spruce tips. We went into the forests of north-central Pennsylvania and Georgetown, Del., to pick these fresh tips ourselves. A dry yet doughy malt backbone lets the hops and spruce shine while still balancing out the bitterness, making this one an easy sipper."

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived