Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter String

George BM

6 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Thanks! I definitely need luck to get a good photo. And no, I don't get the alerts, but I check the site regularly during the winter. I'm not a birder, but I enjoy camera hunting for wildlife and rare birds are fun to find. Pretty cool that you got your picture during 13-14. I drove all over that winter to find one, and actually canoed over to Assateague Island from Ocean City to hike down to the bridge in the hopes and hopefully the pattern for four year irruptions continues.

@wxdude64  Thanks, brother.

The awesome thing is I got it on the way to get a Christmas tree lol. It was perched on a snowy hill in Churchville.

i think there are currently sand hill cranes in Gunpowder, but don’t quote me on that!

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love cold, but I just had a warminsta moment. I was packing up for the day and my gf went to take a shower and the cold water didn't come on. Yep. Frozen pipe. 

Why in the world the code in Baltimore county says that you can't put a pipe in an interior wall next to a garage even though it's insulated is beyond me. So instead, the pipe is on an interior closet wall that goes into a north facing attic with a pitch so steep that the elbow is a less than a foot from a soffit opening. I had this pipe freeze solid when I first did the addition in 2004, but I've since corrected the problem by over insulating and venting heat into the bay that has the water pipes, but didn't turn it on high enough overnight. 

It sucks crawling into that dang attic but fortunately, a few minutes with the hair dryer fixed it. Good thing water is cheap here because I'm going a leave a steady drip going for the foreseeable future!

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I love cold, but I just had a warminsta moment. I was packing up for the day and my gf went to take a shower and the cold water didn't come on. Yep. Frozen pipe. 

Why in the world the code in Baltimore county says that you can't put a pipe in an interior wall next to a garage even though it's insulated is beyond me. So instead, the pipe is on an interior closet wall that goes into an attic with a pitch so steep that the elbow is a less than a foot from a soffit opening. I had this pipe freeze solid when I first did the addition in 2004, but I've since corrected the problem by over insulating and venting heat into the bay that has the water pipes, but didn't turn it on high enough overnight. 

It sucks crawling into that dang attic but fortunately, a few minutes with the hair dryer fixed it. Good thing water is cheap here because I'm going a leave a steady drip going for the foreseeable future!

UGH, sorry man. Least the HD did the trick and nothing else happened. And I agree, if anyone has pipes that they know are in questionable places, I'd be dripping water and trying to insulate/protect over the next week!

12 minutes ago, Warrior Bigfoot said:

The awesome thing is I got it on the way to get a Christmas tree lol. It was perched on a snowy hill in Churchville.

i think there are currently sand hill cranes in Gunpowder, but don’t quote me on that!

Coincidentally, the picture that I got this year was next to a Christmas tree farm. And Churchville is close to where we are going so maybe we will check that out. Thanks!

eta: man, I totally misread your post. I just looked up what you're talking about and the sighting of the cranes is on our way home so maybe we will check that out. Thanks, again.

I have one suspect pipe in my house and insulation doesn't work because of the location.  It froze once in I think 2004 but can't remember exactly. I have a nice cheap trick to help. If you have access to the suspect area, just buy a bulk bag of those cheap hand warmers of off amazon. Less than $1 per. They stay warm all night no problem. I just tape 1 around the pipe every evening when temps are going to drop below say 10-15 degress and have never had a problem since. Conduction from the copper keeps a pretty long stretch of pipe warm from a single hand warmer. I'll gladly spend a buck a day to keep a pipe warm without having to run a space heater or do anything complicated. 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

I have one suspect pipe in my house and insulation doesn't work because of the location.  It froze once in I think 2004 but can't remember exactly. I have a nice cheap trick to help. If you have access to the suspect area, just buy a bulk bag of those cheap hand warmers of off amazon. Less than $1 per. They stay warm all night no problem. I just tape 1 around the pipe every evening when temps are going to drop below say 10-15 degress and have never had a problem since. Conduction from the copper keeps a pretty long stretch of pipe warm from a single hand warmer. I'll gladly spend a buck a day to keep a pipe warm without having to run a space heater or do anything complicated. 

Great idea. Unfortunately, getting to my suspect area is a pain in all parts of the body, especially as I get older. What I did is cut an opening in the ceiling below the problem area and covered it with a vent. Also stacked insulation over the area to keep the heat in. Works pretty good, except that I didn't have the heat in that zone on high enough overnight.

I feel it necessary to let people know that I am actively rooting against next week's storm, because I have surgery scheduled for early am Jan. 5 that I reallyreallyreally don't want to postpone.

So, feel free to blame me when it misses.

But then anytime after the 5th, I want numerous blizzards. Since I won't be going anywhere for about four weeks.

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Such a shame. I was hoping they'd stay free but they were just trying to hook us the whole time. 

Yeah, it's cheaper but it also misses a ton of the value that wxbell gives (or at least gave when I had it last). 925 temps, teleconnections, etc...

Best of luck with your surgery. I wish you a speedy and full recovery. 

Which site would you recommend? Pony up the $25 for wxbell or go for weather.us ?

27 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Kid, for someone who typed the sentence earlier today “I was not alive in 1996” you sure do dish out advice to those of us who were around then...

trust me,  no one on here is getting giddy for this area off of that run. Just raising eyebrows at how unique the solution is. 

I'm glad you didn't say "For someone who is only 14 years old," because, well...

39 minutes ago, Philadelphia Snow said:

Are you kidding me. I meant nothing of it. Just saying what it showed to people who didn’t have access to euro. Maybe others disagree but I do not see how what I did was wrong.

Don’t worry about it man. There’s some weird old man clique in here. 

What the.....I go for a lovely hike in the woods on a stunning winter afternoon and return to chaos!

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!

40 years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes!

The dead rising from the grave!

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

2 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

What the.....I go for a lovely hike in the woods on a stunning winter afternoon and return to chaos!

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!

40 years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes!

The dead rising from the grave!

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

Nah, just another typical day on the weather forums during the winter season.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived