December Banter String

George BM

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, mappy said:

but you won? no snow... 

leesburg 04 said :

Taking bets on who is the first to call this one run of the GFS a trend.....or....says there have been hints all along that this solution was on the table. :)

and I said someone in the mid-long range would say

how about "this is another solution".

4 minutes ago, Interstate said:

leesburg 04 said :

Taking bets on who is the first to call this one run of the GFS a trend.....or....says there have been hints all along that this solution was on the table. :)

and I said someone in the mid-long range would say

how about "this is another solution".

fair enough

4 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I like the 12z run of the gfs for late next week more than any other run so far.  I just feel that if we are going to be "missed" in a model run a week before the potential event, south and east is good.

4 hours ago, frd said:

HM, the pattern 

Wth??  HM can't have an original thought?

Even a blond squirrel... 

20 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Calculating ratios isn't really about surface temps, you'd have to look aloft to see how temps/moisture are. You want to see a sufficiently cold and moist DGZ (dendritic growth zone) with good lift. 

Yep. Some of the fluffiest and 'western' type snow I've ever seen here in my 50+ years fell on 1/29/14. Picked up 5.1 inches of snow on 0.11, a 46-1 ratio! Other CO-OPs in area were in the 50+ to 1 range! Course the high and low for the day was 16.2/2.5.......

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It's a giant pile of sleet. They get straight up sleeted on. Maybe that's how Brownsville Tx got its name. From lots of sleet being dumped there. 

My site in Texas would be straight up pi**ed if they got what the GFS was dishing out. They picked up 4" a few weeks ago with an arctic front and and serious isentropic upglide. They average a 0.5" a year haha. They were shoveling snow with garden spades. 

4 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

Yep. Some of the fluffiest and 'western' type snow I've ever seen here in my 50+ years fell on 1/29/14. Picked up 5.1 inches of snow on 0.11, a 46-1 ratio! Other CO-OPs in area were in the 50+ to 1 range! Course the high and low for the day was 16.2/2.5.......

When I lived in CO I used to call the avalanche center recorded line every single day. I didn't think twice about this back then because ratios wasnt something i thought much about but when they would do a storm disco they would include ratios because it was important for avalanche conditions. 10 or 12:1 would get tagged as "low ratio high water content events". 15-20:1 was standard ratio. And over 20:1 was considered prime "blower" type of snow. When the CAIC used to use the term blower I knew sick powder conditions were imminent. 

The biggest "blower event" I ever experienced was in Monarch near Crested Butte. 40" in 24 hours the day before we had a backcountry snowcat trip planned. We looked like moles and not people coming down the chutes. I remember it like yesterday and it was 22 years ago.  40" of snow offered little resistance and just blew up and over your head. God I miss those years....

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

When I lived in CO I used to call the avalanche center recorded line every single day. I didn't think twice about this back then because ratios wasnt something i thought much about but when they would do a storm disco they would include ratios because it was important for avalanche conditions. 10 or 12:1 would get tagged as "low ratio high water content events". 15-20:1 was standard ratio. And over 20:1 was considered prime "blower" type of snow. When the CAIC used to use the term blower I knew sick powder conditions were imminent. 

The biggest "blower event" I ever experienced was in Monarch near Crested Butte. 40" in 24 hours the day before we had a backcountry snowcat trip planned. We looked like moles and not people coming down the chutes. I remember it like yesterday and it was 32 years ago.  40" of snow offered little resistance and just blew up and over your head. God I miss those years....

That part about the blower event is pretty crazy. My family and I have gone skiing in Park City for the past 4 years during Spring break, and we have yet to see snow while we were there. Last year we weren't going anywhere during Spring break, so my Dad decided to plan a trip with my brother and I on a 4 day weekend to Park City. We lucked out, as there was a snowstorm happening while we were there. 12-18" of snow overnight at the base, and it was one of the best experiences I've had skiing in a long time. Can't imagine how fun 40" of snow had to be, especially with blowing snow with high ratios.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived