Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter String

George BM

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

Headed to bed now. Can't believe I have a swim meet tomorrow. Amazed it's not cancelled. Totally prepared to get stuck in FFX City, which sucks because there is nothing like snow in your own home. And the pool has no windows! I will live vicariously through you all.

I have a feeling it'll be canceled right as you wake up. Just a feeling. Either way, g'night! 

1 hour ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

That's embarrassing.

I was not happy that the amounts were published as I gave it no thought as I was writing my part of the article.  I like 2-4 for DC except maybe DCA because they always measure low.  I'm a little concerned that the NAM as the snow coming into the area too quickly and we'll have to wait until 10Z or so before the snow starts if the HRRR and RAP are right.  At my house, I'm going with 3-6 because of temp concerns.  I also wonder whether I'll get caught between the heavier band to my southwest and the band that sets up as the vort comes across the region.  That's happened before. 

1 minute ago, usedtobe said:

I was not happy that the amounts were published as I gave it no thought as I was writing my part of the article.  I like 2-4 for DC except maybe DCA because they always measure low.  I'm a little concerned that the NAM as the snow coming into the area too quickly and we'll have to wait until 10Z or so before the snow starts if the HRRR and RAP are right.  At my house, I'm going with 3-6 because of temp concerns.  I also wonder whether I'll get caught between the heavier band to my southwest and the band that sets up as the vort comes across the region.  That's happened before. 

Anything stand out to you about how this does/doesn't relate to January 24, 2000?

Just now, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

Anything stand out to you about how this does/doesn't relate to January 24, 2000?

Way different.     That had much colder temps and ushered in really cold air.  The 500h patterns were also different and the moisture from for the 2000 case pretty much came from the Atlantic from the start. The system didn't do much at all across the Gulf States but convective snows broke out with the upper low as it starte lifting ene.  I don't see it as a viable analog. 

5 minutes ago, usedtobe said:

Way different.     That had much colder temps and ushered in really cold air.  The 500h patterns were also different and the moisture from for the 2000 case pretty much came from the Atlantic from the start. The system didn't do much at all across the Gulf States but convective snows broke out with the upper low as it starte lifting ene.  I don't see it as a viable analog. 

Thank you.  I get reminded how sad I was to "miss" the school bus that next morning.

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

Talk about not going out on a limb with a forecast.  1-4” is basically covering most of the DC area with 40% caveats for less than or greater than 1-4”.

Yea, that not my favorite way to see a forecast. It's biased towards protecting verification by casting a huge muddy net. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived