Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter String

George BM

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, mappy said:

can someone decipher chucks post for me, please. 

I have tried a couple of times but the effort had me spiraling into insanity. So I stopped. :)

In all seriousness, try putting a global warming spin on it and most cases it comes through to you what he is trying to say. The other cases I just think are his meds wearing off.

29 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Just curious. To lazy to look it up but what are the benchmarks for early December snow? Are we looking at a possible top 10 event here?

Not sure if I could come up with a top 10 from memory.  The largest early December snowfall at DC (prior to 12/10) was Dec 3-4, 1957 when 11.4" fell.  Dec 5-7, 1910 had 9.9" fall in DC.  Dec 5, 2002 had 6.1".  Once you get past 12/10, the 1960, 1966 and 1982 snows show up in the 10-12th periods.  These were all 6-7" at DCA

@North Balti Zen Don't know whether to laugh or cry with your Ghostbusters posts. As a teenager had a job for a friend's father to collect the ticket money from several theaters running this movie, for several weeks no less. Needless to say I lost count how many times I saw portions or even all of this movie over those weeks. Took me decades to get over the PTGBD (Post Traumatic Ghost Buster Disorder) enough to actually sit down and watch it again.

1 minute ago, WVclimo said:

Not sure if I could come up with a top 10 from memory.  The largest early December snowfall at DC (prior to 12/10) was Dec 3-4, 1957 when 11.4" fell.  Dec 5-7, 1910 had 9.9" fall in DC.  Dec 5, 2002 had 6.1".  Once you get past 12/10, the 1960, 1966 and 1982 snows show up in the 10-12th periods.  These were all 6-7" at DCA

Ah, would probably take an over achiever then to get into the top 10. Guess we might have an outside shot them.

Just now, showmethesnow said:

Ah, would probably take an over achiever then to get into the top 10. Guess we might have an outside shot them.

December 8, 1989 had 3.6" in DC.  That might be doable.  There may not be 10 storms between 12/1 and 12/10 larger than that.  Deck Pic may know better.

21 minutes ago, StormchaserChuck said:

why wouldnt it do this. The great lakes low can deepen at 15 and that's all it takes. GL's low should be primary because the strongest energy is north. pull it up and merge ya know

The features remain exclusive of each other the entire time and that's been shown by every run of every model for days and days. There's a streak of drier air/subsidence between the 2 features. This is just one example

namconus_mslp_pwat_eus_25.png

We don't even want them to phase because the northern stream feature is north of our latitude. Phases to the north of us are screwjobs. The way this event is unfolding is just about perfect. Heck it IS perfect. 

17 minutes ago, usedtobe said:

It's 0.75 line is around 10 miles or less from my house.  The NAM has got us scrambling and worries me about our forecast west of DC.  THe odels have been hinting at some type of banding structure.  Tough to know exactly where.  The NAM 500h vorticity really supports the idea that the 12Z nAM was too dry across DC.  The southern stream lifts across the area and I think it is the reason that the NAM started spicing up its forecast west and southwest of DC.  I still worry about temps especially for us guys southeast of the city. 

None of you have at least 4"???

Since Jebman has reported light rain and 43 degrees in his Woodbridge/Dale City location:

I watched the 11 a.m. WRC (4) forecast and the WJLA (7) and WUSA (9) noon forecasts and the former two said there would be nothing much before late into the evening.  Channel 9 said mixed precip would show up into the DC beltway area around 5.  I will say that the 9 noon newscast yesterday showed what I believe was the GFS (I could be wrong, but it was showing snow into the area), and the forecaster was downplaying it.  She changed her tune today.

I found this fascinating.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived