Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December Discobs Thread

George BM

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

An ounce of perspective would do many good. ;)

Here is my post early Jan 2016 for Dec 2015 info-

Numbers for Dec 2015 here-

4.73 inches of precip. a T of snow on 19th

avg temp was a +11.0 from avg at 45.6 degrees and set a new record for the month.

EDIT-

I'm going to put yearly numbers here too-

Total rainfall 1/1-12/31- 49.70"

Total snowfall 1/1-12/31- 29.4"

Lowest temp -3 on 2/20

Highest temp 92 on 7/20

I looked and it was 65 on Christmas day...yuck, and 73 on the 28th!!!!

Anybody check on pond ice thickness yesterday? Probably nothing more than 1" yet. Maybe by Sunday we'll see the magic 3.5" start showing up. I plan on taking a walk Sunday with my cordless drill and checking. Not sure if I should bring skates or not...I would hate to get there and it be "close" and not be able to resist "testing it". lol

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Anybody check on pond ice thickness yesterday? Probably nothing more than 1" yet. Maybe by Sunday we'll see the magic 3.5" start showing up. I plan on taking a walk Sunday with my cordless drill and checking. Not sure if I should bring skates or not...I would hate to get there and it be "close" and not be able to resist "testing it". lol

I guess the benefit of it being dry is if you fall through it won't be deep

It would be nice to get an inch or two of snow on top of the frozen ponds. That should help to turn them into a glacier :). Funny thing is I have no experience with ice skating. It is not really something we can normally do around here in the natural environment.

27 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I checked in on open ponds and also a dammed creek yesterday. Both were complete iced over but very thin. The good news is that the ice looks super smooth. I would guess Sunday at the earliest for testing. 

At what thickness do you believe it safe? I remember as a kid being on small shallow ponds in the early morning that were ridiculously thin, and once the sun hit them and temps neared freezing, the ice would still hold four or five of us, but would oscillate and wave under our weight. 

Those were the days though when three of us weighed what I am now!

31 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

White's Ferry has suspended operations until further notice due to ice on the Potomac.

So, from what I've read, depending on the pond, 4" is considered safe for skating. That got me thinking about how long it would take to get 4" of ice and found this article. In summary, once a thin sheet of ice has formed, one inch of ice will form / 15 freezing degree days. So, if we average 10 fdd, we will need another 5-6 days for four inch ice.

i bet that could be cut down considerably by finding a shaded and shallow small pond that isn't fed by running water.

http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/How_Fast_Does_Your_Lake_Make_Ice

2 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I looked at recent past Decembers and was surprised to see 2015 had a +12.3 departure at bwi. All other stations were similarly as warm. I knew it was warm, but plus twelve?!?

It's a good thing I have selective memory.

Since the very cold February in 2015, its been outrageously warm overall.  Most months above normal, and these months were just crazy for positive departures.  Using DCA:

Jan: +6.1

Feb: +8.7

Apr: +7.0

Oct: +5.4

Mar: +6.7

Sep: +5.0

May: +7.2

Dec: +11.5

Those are generally in the top 3 warmest months, if not warmest ever, nearly every month of the year except summer.  I looked at HGR the other day, and cumulatively 2017 was +3.9.  This will reduce some with the cold of the last week.  For folks who look forward to cold weather, its been a rough couple of years. 

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

It would be nice to get an inch or two of snow on top of the frozen ponds. That should help to turn them into a glacier :). Funny thing is I have no experience with ice skating. It is not really something we can normally do around here in the natural environment.

When I was a young child (back in the 70s), everyone in my family owned ice-skates.  Vivid memories of ice-skating on a distant-relative's pond.  Sizeable crowds gathered doing the same.  Perhaps time has fogged my memory as to the frequency of such events, but they did occur regularly-enough back then for my parents to have invested in skates for all us kids.  Things are very different these days.

6 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

When I was a young child (back in the 70s), everyone in my family owned ice-skates.  Vivid memories of ice-skating on a distant-relative's pond.  Sizeable crowds gathered doing the same.  Perhaps time has fogged my memory as to the frequency of such events, but they did occur regularly-enough back then for my parents to have invested in skates for all us kids.  Things are very different these days.

Your memory is correct about those years. My father's office complex in Springfield had a small pond where the employees' and their families had evening skating parties. My father was the chair of the skating club and it was his responsibility to check the ice and post a flag indicating that ice was thick enough. We all had skates and there was nearly always a period of a 2-3 weeks during the winter when the flag was up. Times have changed, both in terms of climate and liability!

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

So, from what I've read, depending on the pond, 4" is considered safe for skating. That got me thinking about how long it would take to get 4" of ice and found this article. In summary, once a thin sheet of ice has formed, one inch of ice will form / 15 freezing degree days. So, if we average 10 fdd, we will need another 5-6 days for four inch ice.

i bet that could be cut down considerably by finding a shaded and shallow small pond that isn't fed by running water.

http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/How_Fast_Does_Your_Lake_Make_Ice

Honestly, 2.5" is totally safe you you are the ONLY one on the ice. Add another person and end up in the same area and it gets REALLY scary. lol. IME (and I have a lot of illegal skating experience), 3.5" is totally safe for a handful of spread out people. 4" is good for crowds. That's why most publications use that benchmark. 

The pond I use is totally shaded and pretty damn shallow. You can see bottom clearly through the ice in all but one section. I just stick to 50' from shore where it's less than 3' deep. Worst case is I slog my way back in the mud and broken ice. lol. Hasn't happened yet but I've had a more than a few propagating cracks that scared the F out of me even though there still wasn't much chance at breaking through. 

The teens that skate the pond don't measure ice thickness. They send a sucker out first and tell them to jump up and down. If he doesn't die then it's safe. 

Honestly, 2.5" is totally safe you you are the ONLY one on the ice. Add another person and end up in the same area and it gets REALLY scary. lol. IME (and I have a lot of illegal skating experience), 3.5" is totally safe for a handful of spread out people. 4" is good for crowds. That's why most publications use that benchmark. 

The pond I use is totally shaded and pretty damn shallow. You can see bottom clearly through the ice in all but one section. I just stick to 50' from shore where it's less than 3' deep. Worst case is I slog my way back in the mud and broken ice. lol. Hasn't happened yet but I've had a more than a few propagating cracks that scared the F out of me even though there still wasn't much chance at breaking through. 

The teens that skate the pond don't measure ice thickness. They send a sucker out first and tell them to jump up and down. If he doesn't die then it's safe. 

Yeah, I totally agree with you. I just didn't want to divulge the stupidity I possess when it comes to enjoying winter cold. Good or bad, I'm one of those that plants his left foot firmly in the pond edge and taps taps taps with his right foot. If it sounds solid, I drift on the edge. Before long I'm sitting on a piece of cardboard lacing up my skates hoping the cops don't show up.

1 hour ago, Tenman Johnson said:

In the 60s we skated on Tony Tank pond almost every winter. Big skating parties with a bonfire on the shore 

This will be me and the extended family/friends on the C&O Canal next weekend. Big, roaring fire, hot chocolate, we’ll shovel out a rink and spend hours on the ice skating and hanging out there in camp chairs or sitting on a blanket draped over a log we’ve drug (dragged?) out onto the ice. A glorious day, in my book. 

5 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Speaking of ponds/lakes freezing over, took a walk down by the lake today and it looks close to completely freezing over.  It struggled to get into the mid teens today.  

690BD5E9-8C18-4258-A74A-BAABD8F2A5A0.jpeg

Look at all that fresh snow! You dont need plows, I'll move there and dig you all out!

Here’s the running temp tally so far in Clarksburg:

25Dec H/L: 36.6°F/27.1°F; 26Dec: 28.2°F/15.1°F; 27Dec: 23.9°F/9.8°F; 28Dec: 18.7°F/9.5°F; 29Dec: 25.5°F/14.6°F

...and, just for fun, here’s the obligatory dec pic here in VT. Covered dec so u gotta look out to the “yard” in the back. 0.8” of pixie dust snow throughout the day, high temp an hour ago was -2°F. 

2C96F600-8686-4BC8-8E1F-169CD2D7D95E.thumb.jpeg.c3694e6cc37c06b4cb63c59a24c95f05.jpeg

I feel like I just won a billion dollars and the govt told me I'd pay NO tax on it. Why, you ask?

I have a 70 PERCENT CHANCE of snow tonight!!

However, I am cautiously keeping my expectations nice and low, managing my enthusiasm, to a few tiny flurries, possibly a cartopper at best.

We'll get our big snow soon!

4 minutes ago, Jebman said:

I feel like I just won a billion dollars and the govt told me I'd pay NO tax on it. Why, you ask?

I have a 70 PERCENT CHANCE of snow tonight!!

However, I am cautiously keeping my expectations nice and low, managing my enthusiasm, to a few tiny flurries, possibly a cartopper at best.

We'll get our big snow soon!

Hope you get crushed Jebman!!!

7 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

That is interesting. I grew up close to the Potomac in Loudoun so maybe that is why we never did it. The river was really the only body of water I saw in the winter. And my parents hate the cold :)

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic

Archived