Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Discobs Thread

George BM

12 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Yeah...with no snow cover it certainly is impressive.  I sit in a valley that can really capitalize during prime rad cooling....It can be frustrating during marginal events tho..lol Sometimes I can drive one mile in either direction and see snow accumulating but just white rain at my house.

That is VERY frustrating. Almost as much as watching the Caps playing Boston tonight.......

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

DCA getting stuck at 20

does DCA get stuck like Central Park does with light/no wind?  Since NYC doesn't radiate, to actually get an appreciable drop in the night temp in winter you need some CAA with basically a due north wind coming down the Hudson

DCA also rarely gets calm winds.  They're always blowing.  While everyone may get calm winds, they'll have winds at about 5 mph, for whatever reason.

They also rarely approach 100% humidity.  Again, not sure why.  They seem to max out at 95% humidity (even during all day rains).  It's a unique location for sure.

15 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

Yes, I am to, that was probably an awesome time!

Made it down to 7.4 here about an hour ago, now 8.1 degrees at 8 am.

Oops, edit.

17 hours ago, WVclimo said:

From my experience camping a lot in the winter, that zero-rated bag is probably good to about 15 degrees.  An insulated sleeping bag liner, or better yet a vapor barrier liner, can compensate for at least half of the difference.  The rest you have to make up with good ground insulation and the clothing you wear to bed.

I'm jealous of your evening.  Bet the skies were awesome out there last night !

It was really beautiful out there with the spruces and snowcover, but towards the end it was less "this is so lovely" and more "oh **** I think I might actually freeze to death." Guess that's part of the appeal though, there's something humbling about getting your ass kicked by nature. 

IAD is now below normal for temps for December.  BWI should be after today.  DCA looks to make it BN on Sunday.  Out my way, MRB is still +1.2 but has a shot at a negative month.  HGR is +2.3 and will likely finish above normal for the month.

Yesterday's -17 at MRB was the second largest negative departure of 2017, after the -19 on Veteran's Day.

For precip, the 0.47" this month at DCA is currently tied with 1965 for the second-driest December since 1900.  Only 1955 was drier, at 0.22".  1980's 0.65" is next on the list, but that one looks safe.  At IAD, only 1980  had a drier December than this year (since 1963.)  BWI's 0.89" is ahead of 4 other Decembers since 1900.

45 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

IAD is now below normal for temps for December.  BWI should be after today.  DCA looks to make it BN on Sunday.  Out my way, MRB is still +1.2 but has a shot at a negative month.  HGR is +2.3 and will likely finish above normal for the month.

Yesterday's -17 at MRB was the second largest negative departure of 2017, after the -19 on Veteran's Day.

I looked at recent past Decembers and was surprised to see 2015 had a +12.3 departure at bwi. All other stations were similarly as warm. I knew it was warm, but plus twelve?!?

It's a good thing I have selective memory.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic

Archived