Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December Discobs Thread

George BM

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, WVclimo said:

From my experience camping a lot in the winter, that zero-rated bag is probably good to about 15 degrees.  An insulated sleeping bag liner, or better yet a vapor barrier liner, can compensate for at least half of the difference.  The rest you have to make up with good ground insulation and the clothing you wear to bed.

I'm jealous of your evening.  Bet the skies were awesome out there last night !

Yes, I am to, that was probably an awesome time!

Made it down to 7.4 here about an hour ago, now 8.1 degrees at 8 am.

Oops, edit.

4 hours ago, evaporativecooler said:

Got to -7F at Gaudineer Knob WV according to my car thermometer before I had to pack up my stuff and call it quits at around 10pm. In retrospect not the nicest night for camping, but I did just get a 0F sleeping bag that I wanted to test. Safe to say it doesn't work very well below zero. 

2 hours ago, WVclimo said:

From my experience camping a lot in the winter, that zero-rated bag is probably good to about 15 degrees.  An insulated sleeping bag liner, or better yet a vapor barrier liner, can compensate for at least half of the difference.  The rest you have to make up with good ground insulation and the clothing you wear to bed.

I'm jealous of your evening.  Bet the skies were awesome out there last night !

When I camped in a lean to on the AT below zero in my 0 degree bag, I boiled water and put it in a neoprene bottle and slept with it down by my feet. Works great! I had to do this a few times this past summer for my girlfriend who is always cold when we car camped in Lassen and Crater Lake.

Weather ob, it got to about 14 here last night.

On 12/26/2017 at 3:32 PM, das said:

I went below 32°F at 10:30am yesterday on the 25th and dropped below 30°F at 2:30pm here in Clarksburg. Should be interesting to see how long we can stay  below freezing and also not rise out of the 20s. Saturday is the only real chance in the next 8 days and, frankly, I just don’t see that happening.  Nice cold stretch coming up. 

Here’s the running tally at the house in Clarksburg:

25Dec H/L: 36.6°F/27.1°F; 26Dec: 28.2°F/15.1°F; 27Dec: 23.9°F/9.8°F

I like this kind of stuff. As an aside, I just arrived at the place in VT at 1am last night. The low here was -17°F and the high today is -1°F. Here’s the coldest I saw on the drive up, around 15 miles south of the house:

1767EAA0-7529-4779-B915-04EDE68AD5EF.thumb.jpeg.2cdee9dfbbaf3b66bd425b29f98d1016.jpeg

4 hours ago, Jandurin said:

You've got low tire pressure.

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

-21 will do that to a tire.  But he's got plenty of gas!

Yeah, thanks.  It's the stupid TPMS system on the vehicle.  I put the snow tires/wheels on the car and the recalibration process is so cumbersome, I usually give up.  That's GMC for you.  On my Audi, it takes like 15 seconds...

5 hours ago, WVclimo said:

Record low max for today at MRB is 21 from 1993.  Might be close.  Its 17 there at noon.

Martinsburg has been at 21 the past two obs.  Unless there is an intra-hour 22 in there somewhere, today would tie the record.  Guess we will see in an hour or so.

ETA- high was 22, so the record from 1993 stands

Just now, poolz1 said:

Currently 9.7 after a high of 21.8.  The cold is just as impressive as modeled...

15.1 here at 8:30, high was 24.9 degrees, and that will be a new low max in morning when report goes in, looked and old number is 27.3 from 2009. Blacksburg set new low this morning at 5, I had 7.4. Was below zero higher up.

2 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

15.1 here at 8:30, high was 24.9 degrees, and that will be a new low max in morning when report goes in, looked and old number is 27.3 from 2009. Blacksburg set new low this morning at 5, I had 7.4. Was below zero higher up.

Yeah...with no snow cover it certainly is impressive.  I sit in a valley that can really capitalize during prime rad cooling....It can be frustrating during marginal events tho..lol Sometimes I can drive one mile in either direction and see snow accumulating but just white rain at my house.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic

Archived