• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
NC Piedmont/Triangle Snow Machine

DC2Winston

Not sure on the rules for starting threads, so apologies if breaking any protocol. 

Since the SE forum is HUGE geographicallly, figured a thread in this neck of the woods would be good. Also this is my first winter in the Triad. Moved from DC this summer. 

Charlotte/Winston/Greensboro/Durham/Raleigh? 

May the force be with us all. 

1 hour ago, CARDC79 said:

Not sure on the rules for starting threads, so apologies if breaking any protocol. 

Since the SE forum is HUGE geographicallly, figured a thread in this neck of the woods would be good. Also this is my first winter in the Triad. Moved from DC this summer. 

Welcome, I moved down from Loudoun Co in 2016. Just be prepared for a lot of misses wrt snow. At least you are further west than a lot of us and have some elevation but this place is the total opposite of DC when it comes to snow.  We do heat and drought here really well though :lol:

38 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

The problem with living in this region, is we can get the big dog storm. We just normally don't. But because we can get the storm, we get pulled in to tracking every possibility.

I will say that when the big dog storm presents itself, we have a great time tracking.

We got the tracking the storm down to a T, just need it to give us the wintry precip :lol:

8 hours ago, FallsLake said:

The problem with living in this region, is we can get the big dog storm. We just normally don't. But because we can get the storm, we get pulled in to tracking every possibility.

I will say that when the big dog storm presents itself, we have a great time tracking.

I have some old Zig Ziglar videos on "Closing The Deal"

13 hours ago, CARDC79 said:

When it comes to snow, it seems a little generous to include us in this grouping. It seems like normally we're getting a brief snow shower switching to pellets switching to rain, while just a county over they're getting at least a few inches.

Welcome to NC! I'm about 15 miles south of Greensboro and it is incredible the p-type issues that often occur just in those 15-20 miles. For example, this year's Jan 6th event, we got about 4" of snow and 2" of sleet. Greensboro got 10" of all snow.  Trust me, you'll get acquainted with the "warm nose" really quickly. But to echo others, the tracking is fun.

14 hours ago, CARDC79 said:

13 hours ago, Avdave said:

Welcome, I moved down from Loudoun Co in 2016. Just be prepared for a lot of misses wrt snow. At least you are further west than a lot of us and have some elevation but this place is the total opposite of DC when it comes to snow.  We do heat and drought here really well though :lol:

Welcome!  I grew up in Winston and tends to do very well snowfall wise when compared to Raleigh, you should be in good shape.    Hopefully you bring some of that NoVA luck with you...a little luck never hurts.

1 hour ago, packbacker said:

Welcome!  I grew up in Winston and tends to do very well snowfall wise when compared to Raleigh, you should be in good shape.    Hopefully you bring some of that NoVA luck with you...a little luck never hurts.

Oh Im done already pack. I was down here last year and we know how that went for the region, minus Mebane and pts N & W from the Jan storm.  Im outta luck lol

2 hours ago, jjwxman said:

Welcome to NC! I'm about 15 miles south of Greensboro and it is incredible the p-type issues that often occur just in those 15-20 miles. For example, this year's Jan 6th event, we got about 4" of snow and 2" of sleet. Greensboro got 10" of all snow.  Trust me, you'll get acquainted with the "warm nose" really quickly. But to echo others, the tracking is fun.

Being further north in the CLT metro, in that same storm I got roughly around 8" while CLT proper got 1-2". Pretty cool gradient. 

1 minute ago, Queencitywx said:

Being further north in the CLT metro, in that same storm I got roughly around 8" while CLT proper got 1-2". Pretty cool gradient. 

With many storms, I-40 tends to be your gradient line between mix and all snow. Between 40 and 85 usually lies the battleground. South of 85 does the worst. 

36 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

You just had to remind me didn't you? Denver, just literally 5 minutes up HWY 16 from MBY got  10 inches, and I got about 2.  

34 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

With many storms, I-40 tends to be your gradient line between mix and all snow. Between 40 and 85 usually lies the battleground. South of 85 does the worst. 

Moving to northern Mooresville next year where I hope I benefit from getting the heck away from 85.  Always seems to be the battleground like you say and Mooresville more often than not comes out on the winning end.   

8 hours ago, NCSU_Pi said:

When it comes to snow, it seems a little generous to include us in this grouping. It seems like normally we're getting a brief snow shower switching to pellets switching to rain, while just a county over they're getting at least a few inches.

As far as snowfall I group Raleigh with Dubai. They are within an inch or two of each other most winters.

39 minutes ago, CARDC79 said:

Thanks for all the feedback, this is great. I love learning the micro-climates and mix battlegrounds. 

Having lived in DC itself, within the city, we often got extreme gradients between there and just 5-10 miles NW in Rockville/Bethesda for example. Crazy difference. 

Even between DCA and NW DC had some wild gradients too

6 hours ago, SnowNiner said:

You just had to remind me didn't you? Denver, just literally 5 minutes up HWY 16 from MBY got  10 inches, and I got about 2.  

Moving to northern Mooresville next year where I hope I benefit from getting the heck away from 85.  Always seems to be the battleground like you say and Mooresville more often than not comes out on the winning end.   

Well, we in Mooresville did with last year's early Jan storm... just south of Davidson it was a mess with mixing precip.  The previous few years' storms were frustrating with snow turning to sleet.  Gotta say my favorite storm in Mooresville was our first year living here with the March '09 storm with heavy rain turning to heavy snow.  

1 hour ago, CARDC79 said:

Thanks for all the feedback, this is great. I love learning the micro-climates and mix battlegrounds. 

Having lived in DC itself, within the city, we often got extreme gradients between there and just 5-10 miles NW in Rockville/Bethesda for example. Crazy difference. 

Card, I love having a SE micro-climate thread as I think it will serve us well this winter.  That said, take a look a this pic from just last year for how tight this area is when it comes to rain/snow lines in our thread

20170107.gsp.nc.snow.accum.png

19 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

Card, I love having a SE micro-climate thread as I think it will serve us well this winter.  That said, take a look a this pic from just last year for how tight this area is when it comes to rain/snow lines in our thread

The 0.8 max in Wake Co is just west of my 0.5 max, as usual. :)

1 hour ago, Wow said:

Well, we in Mooresville did with last year's early Jan storm... just south of Davidson it was a mess with mixing precip.  The previous few years' storms were frustrating with snow turning to sleet.  Gotta say my favorite storm in Mooresville was our first year living here with the March '09 storm with heavy rain turning to heavy snow.  

Made it just under the wire last January.

BTW, welcome to CARDC79 and a big thank you for starting this thread. While my username reveals my current location, I grew up in HP just down the road from WS.

Over the years, RAH's weather discussion often refers to what they call the "climatogically favored areas of the NW Piedmont", which includes all of the Triad.

And then within the Triad itself, WS is more climatogically favored compared to it's GSO and HP neighbors. A few miles either N or W often make a big difference.

With this in mind, there are some exceptions. The most notable one being the Carolina Crusher of 2000, which bullseyed an area from Albemarle to RDU with up to 2 ft of snow, while giving the previously mentioned climo favored areas only about 3 inches or so. If you've never heard of this event, then let me have the pleasure of being the 1st one to mention it to you. Because you'll hear of it again. Many many many many times. It always comes up in discussions about winter events around here, even when the current storm pattern has little if anything in common with what was going on then. 

Now I'm rambling, but the main point is with a few exceptions, WS always seems to be the place to be during winter events around here.

Also, one final piece of advice for you that's not weather related. Never, ever EVER go to Hanes Mall on the Saturday before Christmas under any circumstances. I once got stuck in a traffic jam in the parking lot getting out for almost 2 hours. You think I'm exagerrating? 2 hours I was stuck, which I'll never get back. You have been warned.

2 hours ago, Wow said:

Thanks wow, I'm sure it has its losses too, but in comparison to clt, Im hoping it's a couple ticks of an upgrade. For instance in the March 09 storm, clt got a couple slushy inches. Mostly rain the whole day. 85 just always seems to be the place you want to be well north of. Now that im moving up there though itll probably go all the way up to 40....sorry man!

On 12/1/2017 at 9:03 PM, CaryWx said:

Im glad I moved NW from my location near Holly Springs last winter. If this map happened again, i would go from .08 in Holly springs to almost 4" in durham county

Archived