• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    DanVarner1
    Newest Member
    DanVarner1
(((Will)))

Where is the best location to live for more normal extreme snow lovers?

I was just randomly thinking about this (sort of a mind game about geography and climate, etc). By more normal I mean people unlike Weatherbo and myself who seem to love deep cold and love wilderness.

Where is the best place to live if you appreciate city-ish life, nicer winter temperatures and spring temperatures (they don't have spring in the UP) etc?

My ideas would be Oswego to the northern Syracuse suburbs in NY, Hamburg NY where that one guy lives, areas to the east and northeast of Traverse City, over towards Gaylord...and perhaps Stowe, VT (for the east coast)

Not even sure about the west coast...Alta, UT sounds awesome but I'm not sure if it's even a place people live. The rest of the west seems to only get snow NEARBY...above 7-8k feet elevation. Only exception would be Lead, SD - but that's very rural.

In Japan Tokamachi gets like 400+ inches of snow a winter...nice warmish temperatures...but I'm not sure how close it is to civilization. Sapporo is prolly a really good bet.

But after that...I draw blanks.

Just something I was thinking about. I saw that Stebo loves winter weather...yet self admittedly lives in one of the most boring weather areas north of 40 degrees latitude. SE Michigan doesn't get synoptic events...and it doesn't hardly get anything but mood flakes from the lakes. It rarely gets storms in the summer and the temperatures year round are offensively inoffensive. I was wondering...why live in SE Michigan? Why not move to Traverse City or Gaylord...or even just go to Grand Rapids. But hey. Idk.

• Like 1

Since you mentioned Alta, I'll chime in with Park City.  Average annual snowfall 340".  Average 229 sunny days per year.  Only 10k people but a short hop from SLC and from there, the world.  Some of the best winter quality of life I think you can find anywhere on the planet.  A little high on the cost of living side.  7000' up so maybe it doesnt fit your criteria of a normal place.  Maybe a nearby place then, like Heber City, UT at 5600' with 75" annual snow, average cost of living - can always drive 10-15 minutes up into elevation to go snowshoe or xc ski if the 75" doesnt do it for you.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, krfd said:

Since you mentioned Alta, I'll chime in with Park City.  Average annual snowfall 340".  Average 229 sunny days per year.  Only 10k people but a short hop from SLC and from there, the world.  Some of the best winter quality of life I think you can find anywhere on the planet.  A little high on the cost of living side.  7000' up so maybe it doesnt fit your criteria of a normal place.  Maybe a nearby place then, like Heber City, UT at 5600' with 75" annual snow, average cost of living - can always drive 10-15 minutes up into elevation to go snowshoe or xc ski if the 75" doesnt do it for you.  

That whole area seems really interesting to me. Lake effect off the Great Salt Lake, etc. Prolly the snowiest populated area in N. America...etc.

So, if you constitute "normal" as those people who like more urban areas that get lots of snow...my first thoughts were definitely Traverse City (which is where many of the those Detroit folks are moving to), Syracuse (Northern Suburbs) and Rochester, Burlington, VT (Far eastern suburbs into the Green Mountains), Garrett County, MD (although much more rural than the others), Flagstaff, Arizona, Lake Tahoe

I will chime in and say my vote would be for Utah area, cant beat LES of Salt Lake with elevation. 

I will say that you may be a little misinformed about the size of Gaylord/Population and overall City/Urban feel.  Not sure who has been to Gaylord before but while it is growing in size slowly it has a population less then 3700 people, Even Otsego county only has about 24K for the population and most places are dense wood cover besides the main strip of m32 and parts of old 27 Compare to Grand Traverse county which is almost 100k so a considerable difference and many will agree that Traverse City while a beautiful city has quickly outgrown its infrastructure. I would know I lived in Fife Lake for a few years and traveled to TC daily. I believe both Houghton and Marquette have higher city and county populations although the colleges help that quite. Now obviously those Cities are significantly more populated then Calumet and where Bo lives but I digress. 

17 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

I will chime in and say my vote would be for Utah area, cant beat LES of Salt Lake with elevation. 

I will say that you may be a little misinformed about the size of Gaylord/Population and overall City/Urban feel.  Not sure who has been to Gaylord before but while it is growing in size slowly it has a population less then 3700 people, Even Otsego county only has about 24K for the population and most places are dense wood cover besides the main strip of m32 and parts of old 27 Compare to Grand Traverse county which is almost 100k so a considerable difference and many will agree that Traverse City while a beautiful city has quickly outgrown its infrastructure. I would know I lived in Fife Lake for a few years and traveled to TC daily. I believe both Houghton and Marquette have higher city and county populations although the colleges help that quite. Now obviously those Cities are significantly more populated then Calumet and where Bo lives but I digress. 

Hm. When I drove through Gaylord the other week for Thanksgiving...it seemed massive. But like you, I digress.

My point with city-ish life is that you have an area where you can go to stores to buy clothes, etc...that isn't Wal-Mart. If you want to do that up here...you can drive a bit over 100 miles and Marquette has a Target, a Kohl's and some other 'boutique' crap. But even then - it's next to nothing.

There's something to be said with being able to drive around outside the city and knowing that even if you go off the road to avoid a deer - that you can get help easily enough  That's not the case up here. I never really noticed this stuff but when I have family from downstate or out of state around...they're shocked at things my wife and I never even noticed.

Meh. I mostly just mean places where you have options vs places where you can struggle for an hour to get to a store...only to have your options limited to either Walmart or Shopko and that's it (for hundreds of miles).

1 hour ago, (((Will))) said:

I was just randomly thinking about this (sort of a mind game about geography and climate, etc). By more normal I mean people unlike Weatherbo and myself who seem to love deep cold and love wilderness.

Where is the best place to live if you appreciate city-ish life, nicer winter temperatures and spring temperatures (they don't have spring in the UP) etc?

My ideas would be Oswego to the northern Syracuse suburbs in NY, Hamburg NY where that one guy lives, areas to the east and northeast of Traverse City, over towards Gaylord...and perhaps Stowe, VT (for the east coast)

Not even sure about the west coast...Alta, UT sounds awesome but I'm not sure if it's even a place people live. The rest of the west seems to only get snow NEARBY...above 7-8k feet elevation. Only exception would be Lead, SD - but that's very rural.

In Japan Tokamachi gets like 400+ inches of snow a winter...nice warmish temperatures...but I'm not sure how close it is to civilization. Sapporo is prolly a really good bet.

But after that...I draw blanks.

Just something I was thinking about. I saw that Stebo loves winter weather...yet self admittedly lives in one of the most boring weather areas north of 40 degrees latitude. SE Michigan doesn't get synoptic events...and it doesn't hardly get anything but mood flakes from the lakes. It rarely gets storms in the summer and the temperatures year round are offensively inoffensive. I was wondering...why live in SE Michigan? Why not move to Traverse City or Gaylord...or even just go to Grand Rapids. But hey. Idk.

LOL. You described Seattle not Southeast MI. SE MI gets as much synoptic snow as the rest of the region and gets accumulating les too. If we got no synoptic snow and only mood flakes from the lakes, we would average a trace not the 40-55" that we do. We have also got more 6"+ snowstorms than most of the non lake belt midwest the last decade. We get plenty of thunderstorms (last few years notwithstanding) and annual diurnal temp ranges from the 90s to below zero. So while I know you like to rag on SE MI, its ridiculous to post such nonsense. Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland etc are the perfect areas for 4 true seasons. 

To answer the question, it's too subjective. I mean id choose Gaylord in a heartbeat. But I would HARDLY consider that city slicker territory. The places that are prone to the biggest snowstorms (the east coast) also get by far the most stretches of boredom. And the places that get the true fiercest blizzards (plains) also have tons of boredom. The places that get the most activity outside the mountains are the Lakes, so plain and simple a snow lover would need to look at the great lakes for a mix of synoptic and lake snow and find a population of their liking.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

Yes, I would never live in Traverse City. Very beautiful, but way too many "city slickers." It is a very crowded, congested place, with too much of the big city influence for my likes.

6 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

LOL. You described Seattle not Southeast MI. SE MI gets as much synoptic snow as the rest of the region and gets accumulating les too. If we got no synoptic snow and only mood flakes from the lakes, we would average a trace not the 40-55" that we do. We have also got more 6"+ snowstorms than most of the non lake belt midwest the last decade. We get plenty of thunderstorms (last few years notwithstanding) and annual diurnal temp ranges from the 90s to below zero. So while I know you like to rag on SE MI, its ridiculous to post such nonsense. Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland etc are the perfect areas for 4 true seasons. 

To answer the question, it's too subjective. I mean id choose Gaylord in a heartbeat. But I would HARDLY consider that city slicker territory. The places that are prone to the biggest snowstorms (the east coast) also get by far the most stretches of boredom. And the places that get the true fiercest blizzards (plains) also have tons of boredom. The places that get the most activity outside the mountains are the Lakes, so plain and simple a snow lover would need to look at the great lakes for a mix of synoptic and lake snow and find a population of their liking.

As soon as he started talking about Detroit, I knew you would post a correction! Lol!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, (((Will))) said:

It's just funny to me. I can't imagine just living in SE Michigan when I could hop west a bit and have some great storms in Grand Rapids. But yeah, thats the thing. Only a few of us have the stupidity to just move somewhere based on weather. The rest just make the best of what they have.

Ha! Actually, I think there are a lot of people that move places based on weather...especially as they get older.  If you're talking about thunderstorms, southeast Michigan actually gets some of the best of them in the state. This seems to be particularly true of the Flint area. 

South East Michigan = jobs. If you're not interested in making a decent living you can live just about anywhere you're heart desires. Good luck in your adventure of chasing your dreams of deep snow 8 months a year. Our sub forum will have less topics posted on a daily basis, we will miss you.

5 minutes ago, slow poke said:

South East Michigan = jobs. If you're not interested in making a decent living you can live just about anywhere you're heart desires. Good luck in your adventure of chasing your dreams of deep snow 8 months a year. Our sub forum will have less topics posted on a daily basis, we will miss you.

I'm not following this statement. You will miss who? I've been posting here since the 1990s. I'm not going anywhere.

As far as the Midwest, Grand Rapids is a good place to get a bit of everything.  I'd also say the South Bend area.  This is if you want everything and aren't just looking for the most snow but still a pretty good amount.  The area around the IN/MI border near South Bend averages about 70" of snow.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

As far as the Midwest, Grand Rapids is a good place to get a bit of everything.  I'd also say the South Bend area.  This is if you want everything and aren't just looking for the most snow but still a pretty good amount.  The area around the IN/MI border near South Bend averages about 70" of snow.

Yeah, this is what I was leaning towards. Grand Rapids is awesome. That whole leeward side of Lake Michigan is pro. It's not perfect...but it gets a bit of everything and it's a great area to raise a family if you love weather but want to be 'responsible.'

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I would lean toward South Bend over Grand Rapids, a bit more severe there.

3 minutes ago, Stebo said:

But then you could make the argument for the Dakotas, which seem to average 50-60" depending on where you are, and you get far more severe wx up there. But then again, that's the Dakotas, and you'd probably be the only person living there. After all this is a thread about extreme snow, and not the best of both worlds. In which case, I'd say Park City is easily up there. I was there for a week a few years ago skiing and saw a total of like 40" while I was there. It was epic.

2 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

But then you could make the argument for the Dakotas, which seem to average 50-60" depending on where you are, and you get far more severe wx up there. But then again, that's the Dakotas, and you'd probably be the only person living there. After all this is a thread about extreme snow, and not the best of both worlds. In which case, I'd say Park City is easily up there. I was there for a week a few years ago skiing and saw a total of like 40" while I was there. It was epic.

It's just a really fun mind game to play in terms of geography and climate.

2 hours ago, (((Will))) said:

It's just funny to me. I can't imagine just living in SE Michigan when I could hop west a bit and have some great storms in Grand Rapids. But yeah, thats the thing. Only a few of us have the stupidity to just move somewhere based on weather. The rest just make the best of what they have.

:poster_stupid:

I've moved here for the weather! Not just snow, but the dynamic and extreme nature of the climate. Living along the peaks of a shoreline ridge, hugging a giant inland sea-like lake in the middle of the mid-west is quite a thrill, let me tell ya!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

Fair point.  I think GRR and SBN average about the same amount of snow.  As far as severe storms...

tornany9009.png.0e41a49f2079380e6dffcb77bf9150f2.png

windany9009.png.468e9e91f78f5df5a000b0c0964ca7e5.png

6 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

:poster_stupid:

I've moved here for the weather! Not just snow, but the dynamic and extreme nature of the climate. Living along the peaks of a shoreline ridge, hugging a giant inland sea-like lake in the middle of the mid-west is quite a thrill, let me tell ya!

Yes.

Pls Direct all complaints to the Interior Ministry Press Center on Sovetsakaya St 4

Just now, Hoosier said:

Fair point.  I think GRR and SBN average about the same amount of snow.  As far as severe storms...

tornany9009.png.0e41a49f2079380e6dffcb77bf9150f2.png

windany9009.png.468e9e91f78f5df5a000b0c0964ca7e5.png

Yeah even with a small difference of location the severe is noticeably more significant/often for Northern IN.

I was just looking at Alta, I saw that in 1982/1983 they got over 900”. Officially 811”, but unofficially measured over 900”. Unbelievable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (((Will))) said:

I'm not following this statement. You will miss who? I've been posting here since the 1990s. I'm not going anywhere.

Sorry Will, I must have missed understood your post/question, I thought you were looking for a place to move with more people and a city life with more thunder storms then what you see in the UP. Sounded like you were looking for a new area to call home. For what it's worth, I always say if you like snow and sun, head west. Truckee CA is somewhere that has interested me for years, only been there once though and that was in July but I hear the winters can be nice and snowey.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slow poke said:

I honestly can't believe anyone pre-retirement would move somewhere for weather. I guess if you arent attatched to a house, family, friends, or job it's possible. If I wanted to metro Detroit has its own microclimate that averages about 55 to 60" per year (N Oak) while the rest of the area is 40-50". But I wouldn't even do that. The only thing I can say is when I do retire I can guarantee I won't be one of the people who heads south to Florida. Grand Rapids is awesome but even cloudier than Detroit or Cleveland.