Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2018

Cary_Snow95

39 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

the last one really seemed to pop out of nowhere, maybe 5 day lead time? The early December hit for GA seemed quick too.  I think in a week or so, there's going to be a lot of tracking going on.  

One of the reasons that I ALWAYS want to see cold air in place first.  Some people like precip and then worry about the cold.  Not me.  Ever.  Precip can pop at the last second.  Cold air does not usually pop up at the last second.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

One of the reasons that I ALWAYS want to see cold air in place first.  Some people like precip and then worry about the cold.  Not me.  Ever.  Precip can pop at the last second.  Cold air does not usually pop up at the last second.

This, not going to get focused on anything till I see some cold.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

I agree.  Even in a seemingly cold and dry pattern you never know what could pop.  Our January storm was seemingly at the end of a cold and dry northern stream dominant pattern, and somehow someway a clipper turned into a neutral tilt trough that scored for us.  We've got to wait a bit to get back into that pattern IMO where anything that pops will be snow.  When it opens up into the SE though, this time there seems to be more activity in the STJ with more energy coming into the CONUS in the baja and California.  If that happens I think we'll close the month very happy.  :snowing:

• Like 2

Sunday morning has my attention now.  That's a pretty fresh dry/cold airmass that moves overhead on Saturday. GFS is most likely overdoing surface warm up Sunday morning. 

Also, mid-levels are by no means torching. Plenty cold enough for sleet in CAD area's and maybe snow in Northern NC.

6 minutes ago, POWERSTROKE said:

Plenty more plowing will be done.  Even got to put a little salt out this morning.  Winter is far from over as February looks good from most all forecasters

Indeed it does. Solid half inch up here near the airport this morning. Ground still white in the shade. January turned out to be a great month. Looking highly likely RDU may go wall to wall cold this winter. Below Normal Nov,Dec,Jan. February looks like it may end up greatest departure BN. Well see.

Also alot of us,minus SC interior folks are above normal anual snowfall. I'll be shocked by Feb 28 if we haven't had not 1 but atleast 2 good winter storms here in the Triad over the course of Feb.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

Indeed it does. Solid half inch up here near the airport this morning. Ground still white in the shade. January turned out to be a great month. Looking highly likely RDU may go wall to wall cold this winter. Below Normal Nov,Dec,Jan. February looks like it may end up greatest departure BN. Well see.

Also alot of us,minus SC interior folks are above normal anual snowfall. I'll be shocked by Feb 28 if we haven't had not 1 but atleast 2 good winter storms here in the Triad over the course of Feb.

and here's the thing: this was predicted to be a bad season. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

Looking at the canadian, I'd say best chances for warning criteria snow would be in the foothills and across Tennessee but it isnt far off. 

Canadian has been on those for like the past 4 cycles now. As Ward said back in Dec , when you have a model locked in run after run you need to pay attn. He was referncing Navgem back then and it turned out to be correct beleive it or not.

And great point about pre season kick in the gut forecast for this winter. Thats what makes it all the more enjoyable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

For us out west, it's a timing thing. Like Burell touched on, the cold Saturday has been trending colder and the sooner precip gets to us , 4-7 am, could make it a little interesting 

The Sunday event could stay snow and sleet for a lot of folks if Saturday keeps trending colder.  Let's hope if it occurs it doesn't have a chance to change to rain.  Maybe this will be a create some cold air of it's own storm also.  :snowwindow: