Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2018

Cary_Snow95

7 minutes ago, gearhead302 said:

Care to elaborate on the climatology you're using for this hypothesis? 

CAD is never forecasted right, it always overperforms vs. the models (while in actuality, the models under perform). In addition, both the GEFS and EPS have been in lockstep that the low runs up the coast while over water, not barreling up through the sand hills like has been constantly shown. Going the ensemble track, the warm air influx is greatly reduced, leading to more cold over a larger area and giving local forecasters one hell of a headache. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Orangeburgwx said:

CAD is never forecasted right, it always overperforms vs. the models (while in actuality, the models under perform). In addition, both the GEFS and EPS have been in lockstep that the low runs up the coast while over water, not barreling up through the sand hills like has been constantly shown. Going the ensemble track, the warm air influx is greatly reduced, leading to more cold over a larger area and giving local forecasters one hell of a headache. 

Yes ensembles are the way to go. Not deterministic models. The CAD is highly dependent on the high to the north. And without blocking that high has to be positioned perfectly and 8 days out is way too far to know that in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, griteater said:

12z Euro cuts the low into N Bama.  It has a nice sfc high to the north running in tandem with the sfc low, but it's missing the closed 500mb low over Maine to keep the height field where it can suppress the sfc low like the GFS.  

FV3 GFS and Euro vs. GFS - not too good

And they almost never come back once they go north 

2 minutes ago, griteater said:

12z Euro cuts the low into N Bama.  It has a nice sfc high to the north running in tandem with the sfc low, but it's missing the closed 500mb low over Maine to keep the height field where it can suppress the sfc low like the GFS.  

Not quite sure I understand you... this Euro run looks good to me...

13 minutes ago, griteater said:

There hasn't been a good EURO run yet for the Carolinas, but the ENS has been steady with the low in the gulf with some high pressure overhead pressing in.  My guess it'll be the same today.  I hope.  

ecmwf-ens_mslpa_eus_10.png