Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2018

Cary_Snow95

11 minutes ago, WinstonSalemArlington said:

Eric Webb @webberweather 1h1 hour ago

Whatever legitimate warm-up was supposed to occur after this week especially near the end of November into early December is progressively going down right the drain & may be limited to a day or two/ the half-width of a s/w ridge in the north-central US & southern Canada

Much welcome change from the seemingly never ending years recently of projected cold that never arrives until after winter.   How many December’s and January’s were supposed to be cold only to torch.... Winter weather or not it’d be nice to have WINTER for a change! :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GunBlade said:

Much welcome change from the seemingly never ending years recently of projected cold that never arrives until after winter.   How many December’s and January’s were supposed to be cold only to torch.... Winter weather or not it’d be nice to have WINTER for a change! :)

Last winter delivered the goods post Christmas! February sucked, but the rest was rockin, deep into spring!

• Like 1

I would really love to see a cold December with SNOW for once in the RDU area. Every December since 2011 has been mild and snowless in this area. Last December was especially frustrating with the Deep South getting a significant snowfall and me getting cold rain. Maybe our fortunes will change this year...I hope so! 

16 minutes ago, Waiting on snow said:

Seriously?

Yes, if you're north of the Mason-Dixon!

Actually it is something to look at. Given that the Canadian cold north of the 1030 is just marginally cold, I would like to see a little stronger high; maybe 1035, 1038, something along those lines, although the location helps as well.

The biggest problem I see with set up is the low placement, waaay to far north for us. Would need to track along the gulf coast; say NO to JAX. But you don't want the low to crank up much either; brings in too much warm air.

• Like 1

Yes, if you're north of the Mason-Dixon!
Actually it is something to look at. Given that the Canadian cold north of the 1030 is just marginally cold, I would like to see a little stronger high; maybe 1035, 1038, something along those lines, although the location helps as well.
The biggest problem I see with set up is the low placement, waaay to far north for us. Would need to track along the gulf coast; say NO to JAX. But you don't want the low to crank up much either; brings in too much warm air.
It's at hour ~5000! A little far out there to be monitoring specific lows, don't you think? (If I somehow missed the dry humor, I apologise.)

Sent from my Alcatel 6055U using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, tarheelwx said:

With so many things appearing to fall in our favor for the long range, now is the time to step back and ask ourselves "what can go wrong."

TW

Sun sngle, ground temp, planetary alignment.  Pick your poison lol.  The cliff will never be too high to jump from!  Not referring to you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, GunBlade said:

Sun sngle, ground temp, planetary alignment.  Pick your poison lol.  The cliff will never be too high to jump from!  Not referring to you.

models not showing the warm nose as the low bombs offshore until the NAM shows 8" of snow change to 3" of sleet and rain 36hrs out while we argue that the NAM is trash and to trust the gfs/euro ensembles showing a foot of powder....

all hypothetical of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tarheelwx said:

With so many things appearing to fall in our favor for the long range, now is the time to step back and ask ourselves "what can go wrong."

TW

Surface temperatures above freezing, warm air nose, or warm soil temperatures. One of the three always seems to show up in the month of December. 

4 hours ago, tarheelwx said:

TW

3 hours ago, GunBlade said:

3 hours ago, DopplerWx said:

models not showing the warm nose as the low bombs offshore until the NAM shows 8" of snow change to 3" of sleet and rain 36hrs out while we argue that the NAM is trash and to trust the gfs/euro ensembles showing a foot of powder....

all hypothetical of course.

1 hour ago, CyclonicFury said:

Surface temperatures above freezing, warm air nose, or warm soil temperatures. One of the three always seems to show up in the month of December. 

You all forgot a classic:

Too strong of a high, dry slot, and deep enough cold to cause major suppression that leaves everything off the coast.