• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2018

Cary_Snow95

Indices don't look good the next couple of weeks. PNA goes negative, AO goes positive, and NAO goes positive. 

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

But I'm ok with this for the first half of November. Hopefully this sets the stage for them to turn in our favor at or just after Thanksgiving. **which I think is a good sign for winter 

53 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Indices don't look good the next couple of weeks. PNA goes negative, AO goes positive, and NAO goes positive. 

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

But I'm ok with this for the first half of November. Hopefully this sets the stage for them to turn in our favor at or just after Thanksgiving. **which I think is a good sign for winter 

Here is your proof... Major score:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/1057994334459584512

1 hour ago, Orangeburgwx said:

Beggars can't be choosers, so if we get a back loaded winter I wont complain. I've read from other folks thinking this could occur as well.

But, I sure would love to see December start cold early. 

39 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Beggars can't be choosers, so if we get a back loaded winter I wont complain. I've read from other folks thinking this could occur as well.

But, I sure would love to see December start cold early. 

We just night get it, FV3 is hinting at 2 snow events for the mountains in the next 10 days

8 hours ago, FallsLake said:

NAO going positive. That's a shock!!!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

Fv3 looking wintry in the long range.

I will not be surprised to see a Southeast winter storm in December. Shoot maybe November.

3DA9F5AA-478B-4AFF-A7C5-44B096431ED6.thumb.png.19f0e2e35f75a5e5d24cf3a270827ca6.png2295E357-3580-41FD-8501-3BC238421313.thumb.png.19717aa6201e5fefdb566ce9639d2fd5.png

I would love for the FV3 to be correct. But I'm just not buying it. It's an outlier, and it is hard to get my hopes up for anything before January knowing central NC climatology. I feel like we are due for an early snowstorm at some point, but until I see it with my own eyes, I have my doubts. 

1 hour ago, fountainguy97 said:

Here it is.  Good setup and good suppressed look for this timeframe. This is not the first run either. This storm has been on the last 6-8 runs. With the most recent two being pretty identical given the timeframe.

C1EA055B-43CD-48F4-BC70-582AF479D997.thumb.png.28c8eb10852db64f80c1d619d0959c3b.png830337AB-05CA-42DD-8D47-A49DEE0E372B.thumb.png.382e0039a269ee4c0aa832ab2888edcc.png

Snowfall map gives me 1"... We all know the track record of underestimating the CAD, gives me vibes of this past January 

Thanks to the pac (+pna) season kicks off early this year boys starting late next weekend into the following week. So much gets made out of watching the NAO, to me its always the pna going positive and anchoring in. Say it every winter, pick one tc you want on your side and for the SE for me its always the pna going positive on roids. Love the neg nao as much as anyone,but when you get a ridge bubbling up off western canada, the cold is coming gangbusters. Then you worry about timing issues with or without blocking. First step is always getting the cold air. 

1 hour ago, NCSNOW said:

Thanks to the pac (+pna) season kicks off early this year boys starting late next weekend into the following week. So much gets made out of watching the NAO, to me its always the pna going positive and anchoring in. Say it every winter, pick one tc you want on your side and for the SE for me its always the pna going positive on roids. Love the neg nao as much as anyone,but when you get a ridge bubbling up off western canada, the cold is coming gangbusters. Then you worry about timing issues with or without blocking. First step is always getting the cold air. 

That is true. But as you stated without the NAO it's always progressive and timing is crucial. Hadn't even looked but I'm sure the NAO is positive right?

12 minutes ago, Orangeburgwx said:

It is near zero right now, supposed to dip really negative around the 18th

Thats a big pac ridge going up latter this week into next week. It will have the snowguns turned on up at the slopes next Sunday. If we get the nao to dip a few days latter then the mtns could be in for a few treats at a minimum.  As Tyler already posted eps showing some higher than normal probability chances in 9 to 10 days. My foundest memory of 09-10 was the never ending tracking. Systems would come every 3 to 5 days and it was always boderline opportunities. Cashed in on more than we missed that winter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:49 PM, fountainguy97 said:

Here it is.  Good setup and good suppressed look for this timeframe. This is not the first run either. This storm has been on the last 6-8 runs. With the most recent two being pretty identical given the timeframe.

C1EA055B-43CD-48F4-BC70-582AF479D997.thumb.png.28c8eb10852db64f80c1d619d0959c3b.png830337AB-05CA-42DD-8D47-A49DEE0E372B.thumb.png.382e0039a269ee4c0aa832ab2888edcc.png

Oh MY.. NO WAY! SST Temps are still in the low 70's Massive warm nose! Wilmywood getting snow in Nov? Bah Bah Bah! 

Surprised early next week is not generating a little more discussion.  At least fun to have something to keep an eye on before Thanksgiving! In these parts that's a rare thing....  

From GSP AFD:

A reinforcing short wave is currently depicted by long range models
help deepen a long wave trough over the Central U.S. early next
week. Surface low pressure is expected to develop along the tail end
of a stalled front along the northern Gulf of Mexico and ride
northeastward somewhere into the Southeast US in advance of the
deepening trough over the Central US. This setup can be favorable
for winter weather across portions of the FA (especially mtns).
However, it will still only be mid November and cold enough air for
wintry precipitation can be difficult to come by. As of now
increasing precipitation early next week looks to be mainly in
liquid form except for possibly the highest mountain elevations. The
unsettled weather will likely support below normal temps early next
week with even colder conditions possible in the wake of this storm
system just beyond the current seven day forecast.
  • Like 1