Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2018

Cary_Snow95

12 hours ago, downeastnc said:

It varies quite a bit run to run.....could be a pretty nice cool shot right after the 4th.....I hope it pans out as I am at the river for the week after the 4th and mid 80's and some clouds are way better than mid 90's and sun.

Anything under 90 is a win this time of year. I'm heading to the outer banks the middle of July. Hoping for some nice weather. 

Related to that, the GFS has been constantly showing below temps for the outer banks. (but)Other models don't show this detail. 

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=seus&pkg=T2ma&runtime=2018062812&fh=84

Move backwards and forwards in time to see the anomaly. 

6 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

The general wet pattern over the SE has been impressive.  It looks to continue.  I know parts of the upper SE have not had as much rain, but after a 5-7 day stretch, chances should pick up again.

Hey buddy, hope all is well. We seem to be right on that imaginary line. I can hear the thunder but it's mostly wide right with the rain.

1 hour ago, frazdaddy said:

Hey buddy, hope all is well. We seem to be right on that imaginary line. I can hear the thunder but it's mostly wide right with the rain.

Hey man, yeah things are going well.  Hope you're having a good summer so far.  Same here.  We had a doozy a week ago.  Neighbor's tree smashed our trampoline, but we got it cleaned up.  Not much since then.  Definitely heard a lot of thunder though!  I hope we get into a pattern where we start to get some late evening/early nighttime storms.  Those are the best.

It seems like when we get something good this time of year, we end up having to pay for it:

Temperatures will be much below normal on Saturday with low-level thickness values near 1390m near the VA border, H8 temps below 15C, and a fair amount of cloudiness. Highs will range in the upper 70s to lower 80s. Much more sunshine on Sunday will lead to a nice weather day in most locations with highs in the lower to mid 80s and dewpoints in the upper 50s to mid 60s. Highs moderate into the upper 80s to lower 90s for Monday and Tuesday. The warming trend continues for Wednesday and Thursday. Opted to stay below WPC guidance which includes a high of 100 for Thursday and stick with highs in the lower to mid 90s for now. -Blaes

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:38 PM, FallsLake said:

It seems like when we get something good this time of year, we end up having to pay for it:

Temperatures will be much below normal on Saturday with low-level thickness values near 1390m near the VA border, H8 temps below 15C, and a fair amount of cloudiness. Highs will range in the upper 70s to lower 80s. Much more sunshine on Sunday will lead to a nice weather day in most locations with highs in the lower to mid 80s and dewpoints in the upper 50s to mid 60s. Highs moderate into the upper 80s to lower 90s for Monday and Tuesday. The warming trend continues for Wednesday and Thursday. Opted to stay below WPC guidance which includes a high of 100 for Thursday and stick with highs in the lower to mid 90s for now. -Blaes

Quoting my own post to make the point that models are bad all year long. Just a couple days back it was looking like we could see a triple digit threat the end of this upcoming week. Now the models have backed off to the point we may see below normal temps (..lots of 80s for highs).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, downeastnc said:

Not a single day with a high of 90 or higher IMBY on the 06Z GFS, many days where upper 70's low 80's.....thats pretty crazy for mid to late July average high is 90/91 here this time of year. 

@DownEastnc, I watched a video that says in essence, We are entering "Phase #6" and Well be  in a "cool period"? for the next 60 Days or so? Thoughts? 

flip.JPG

flip2.JPG

Solar wind coming down the last 3 or 4 weeks after spiking up around 700 a few times in April and May,running around 280-450 or so lately.Big drop in the EEP levels too in the same time frame going from 9 to about 5 now.

QBO still ticking negative at -28.45

Just some observations I'm watching but carry on.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NC_hailstorm said:

Solar wind coming down the last 3 or 4 weeks after spiking up around 700 a few times in April and May,running around 280-450 or so lately.Big drop in the EEP levels too in the same time frame going from 9 to about 5 now.

And what exactly does that mean to the layman?

It means Carry On!  Jk...the QBO seems to be pretty robustly negative.  I’m thinking we don’t want to see it that low going into winter.  A nice, weakly negative QBO along with a Modoki Nino and low solar wind, low sunspot combo seems like a good thing to put on the Christmas list.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cold Rain said:

It means Carry On!  Jk...the QBO seems to be pretty robustly negative.  I’m thinking we don’t want to see it that low going into winter.  A nice, weakly negative QBO along with a Modoki Nino and low solar wind, low sunspot combo seems like a good thing to put on the Christmas list.

For a cold rain? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, No snow for you said:

For a cold rain? 

NChailstorm says 

Solar wind coming down the last 3 or 4 weeks after spiking up around 700 a few times in April and May, running around 280-450 or so lately. ig drop in the EEP levels too in the same time frame going from 9 to about 5 now.

Your on too it I see NChailstorm.. ;) 

(Why We've had a fairly cool Spring & decent (NOT BROILING) July..) ;) 

Yotaman asks:

And what exactly does that mean to the layman?

I don't wanna to play into the Climate Change debate,, Please here...

Look up Grand Solar Minimum .. ;) 

In other words..

It's going to get COLD as _____________________

AND possibly

Lotsa  record SNOW! This coming up,, gasp Winter! Like that October Dump from last year X2?  :maprain:

• Like 1

Hi all, from the DC area...trying to figure out how badly all this rain is going to impact my only vacation of the year, in Emerald Isle. I'm already figuring the weekend to be a total washout.  Any hope for the week? 

Sorry for the IMBY-ish type question.