Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2018

Cary_Snow95

17 minutes ago, Poimen said:

But that's only through Saturday evening. The GFS was showing the brunt of the snow in NC overnight and into Sunday. 

When looking at soundings and 850/925mb maps, the 06z GFS was much colder vs the NAM. This could very well be a CAD situation and trend colder, but the upper levels are pretty toasty on the NAM. Hour 84 it has most of NC above 0C at 850 except NC/VA border while the GFS has most of the state at or below 0C for the same time. Here is the comparison. I think the key will be the HP up over the NE, the GFS is showing a 1040-1045HP nosing down which if it verified might be enough.

06z GFS hour 90

gfs_T850_seus_16.png

12z NAM hour 84

namconus_T850_seus_53.png

• Like 1

^ Yep, good post.  Still a lot to be ironed out.  I'm pretty skeptical, given the unusual trajectory of the clipper as well as the lateness of the season.  I worry about the amount of precip generated by a clipper, particularly down this way.  But it is pretty stout, although it is taking a fairly anomalous track.  Regarding the cold air, we'll be marginal, but the high up north is very strong, especially for this time of year.  Also, as Webber pointed out on the other board, the surface flow will be moving over a fresh snow pack, at least to some extent, so that should help.

If the high is really up there in that location, and if it's that strong, I expect better cold air response depicted as we move in, as has already been stated.  But I do wonder, given the wedge, if we'll see some sloppy reforming-type Miller B-ish system that will inject a warm layer in there some where and dry slot us.  And even if that doesn't happen, I wonder how much precip will be generated over here by a clipper.  But regardless, it's another event to track.  Nice winter.

45 minutes ago, CentralNC said:

right off hand I would have to look at 1960.

Yep, 1960 was a pretty big March for snow, as were 1927 (including Raleigh's greatest snowstorm until January 25, 2000), 1969, and 1980.

This is a great search tool for North Carolina climate extremes, including 1-day snowfall: https://climate.ncsu.edu/nc_extremes You can search by month or even by day, and see the top 5 events for the specified month/day at your chosen location. Very useful!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

Too warm I think.  Mostly rain or snow that melts on contact.  

We get it! It’s always too warm to snow, it’s trending North, it never snows in RAH, it wasn’t going to snow last week, it wasn’t going to snow today, oops nailed the last 2! X,Y,Z model, shows less snow for RAH and everybody! It’s the same damn post in various forms, over and over, day in and day out! Ugggh

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, PackGrad05 said:

Too warm I think.  Mostly rain or snow that melts on contact.  

Not likely. Soundings show RDU dropping to 32F during the bulk of the heavy precip. That’s plenty cold enough to stick especially with the heavy rates being advertised by the models. Ratios will be on the order of 5:1 since it will be a wet snow, but 3-5” is certainly possible in the jackpot areas. 

18 minutes ago, snowlover91 said:

Not likely. Soundings show RDU dropping to 32F during the bulk of the heavy precip. That’s plenty cold enough to stick especially with the heavy rates being advertised by the models. Ratios will be on the order of 5:1 since it will be a wet snow, but 3-5” is certainly possible in the jackpot areas. 

The track is odd we need it to go another 100 miles SW to really lock in snow for many of us, that said the 1045 high to the north is big time and it actually moves SW from far eastern Canada almost Maine. If its any further SE than progged that would be a good thing....add the fresh snow pack to the NE and it just might be enough to get a general 1-3" hit along and NE of the track of the low.....as it stands now the GFS is a good hit anytime of the year for many of us much less late March.