• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2018

Cary_Snow95

It's only Feb 5th.... There will be another event to track you can count on it. Yesterday's event was just enough to get me back in the winter mood. Stayed below freezing for the entire event. The LR indices look good this morning for the second half of Feb. Look for those fantasy storms to start showing back up.

Just looking at the GFS and euro out to day 10, and they don't show much hope. Indices don't look as good either. Not giving up hope, but we'll need the pattern to at least be in the process of switching to a favorable configuration by mid month to give us hope for a late season widespread storm threat.

There have been significant winter storms through the month of March, but climo would indicate that most folks outside of mountain areas have until around March 5th. We need to start seeing hints at a pattern change very soon (maybe the strat warming...).     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

It's only Feb 5th.... There will be another event to track you can count on it. Yesterday's event was just enough to get me back in the winter mood. Stayed below freezing for the entire event. The LR indices look good this morning for the second half of Feb. Look for those fantasy storms to start showing back up.

Fallslake, this seems to conflict with your statement? Not trying to stir the pot, just wondering what different things y'all are seeing?

4 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Fallslake, this seems to conflict with your statement? Not trying to stir the pot, just wondering what different things y'all are seeing?

I'm only looking out to 10 days on LR models. Everything past that is garbage. The indices this morning look ok but not as good as the past days.

Just stating my opinion that we need to see movement towards a favorable pattern by day 10. Right now I'm not seeing it.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Not one icicle IMBY! It was sad

but it must have poured at some point! Lots of bigger than normal puddles and runoff! Should have put a smile on Shetleys face! I think I saw him post that he got a glaze on tree tops 

Mack I woke up at sunrise and there was a light glaze on trees and bushes, which was quickly washed away by 32.5 degree rain by 9:00 :( 

2 hours ago, AsheCounty48 said:

Sudden Stratwarm means wild ride into March , Winter has a long way to go Analog packages from FALL still looking pretty good SOI crash starting now ( BTW likely the first hit to the body of the NINA, modoki nino should develop fall/winter) - JB's twitter.

IMO outside of the mountains, winter is done in the SE. The overall pattern the next 10 days is typical Nina for February with cutter after cutter and the cold confined in Canada. Also, ensembles agree that the cold will head back to Siberia and stay through through the end of the run. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a cool March like in recent years but snow chances are pretty much done based on what models indicate happening the next 10 days.

• Confused 1