Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2018

Cary_Snow95

16 minutes ago, Northern Foothills Snowman said:

What about 13/14 winter? We had a good February and March snow wise. How was NAO during those month February and March 2014?

13/14 had 22 out of 90 < 0.  If I recall, that winter had a very friendly -EPO regime which saved us.

By the way, the graphs from my last post were mislabeled, they were 15/16 and 16/17.

Here is 13/14

image.png.d50b14904aff572d841038b4bd2fc13e.png

Looking at the latest on the much ballyhooed MJO, I noticed that the Euro, JMA, and CFS all move the MJO east into Phase 8 quicker than the GFS.  When viewing the -VP anomaly movement associated with the MJO over the past few weeks and projecting that forward (along with forecasts), it looks to me that we are on track for the MJO to begin being in a favorable location in mid-Feb, with the -VP anomalies moving into the Eastern Pacific during that timeframe.

Here are the February monthly and Week 3 & 4 temperature forecasts from the latest CFS.  The monthly has continued to trend cooler in the east and warmer in the west.

CFS1.gif

CFS2.gif

• Like 1

Next two weeks, I'm going to patiently wait for for that smug "smiley face" ridging in the south to evolve into a trough in the east.  Right now, after our cool/cold shot this weekend that ridging just hangs on, on both the GEFS and GEPS.  Don't have the EPS that far out. Just have to hug the MJO to push that west coast ridge east.  Hopefully it's just the models having issues and the common sense east coast trough starts making headway into the SE between the west coast ridge and the west atlantic ridge. 

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_64.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Upstate Tiger said:

Yep.....a couple of gulf lows with cold air in North America over the next 10 days.  There are definitely some possibilities.  A little blocking would do wonders.  

The PNA, AO, and EPO are all going to be good. The NAO is of course our problem child.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

1 hour ago, griteater said:

12z CMC has some wintry precip in western NC next Sat night into Sunday, then has 2 additional weak systems that are close calls for wintry precip on the following Mon and Wed

Cmc had this at 0z last night as well. Thanks for 12z update.

Man has it turned cold outside. Still think northern coastal plain can luck up with a trash can lid topper tonight.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Well, looks like the GFS wants to give me 2 inches of snow next Monday. Only 7 days out, so guess we'll see how it goes this week. Too far to the north now for me to be too excited about it. But at least we have something else to watch again.

A little more than that for the storm total. ****below includes ice, but still would be a significant storm as modeled.

aaaa.jpg