Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2018

Cary_Snow95

25 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

18z GFS really is loaded! Like 4 or 5 possible storms that could end up producing! 

Just looked at H5 and it looks like a weak wave entering Southern California produces this result at 384. The Webber Wave? I'll believe it when I see it. I don't think the NS will let something like that happen this winter but we'll see

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, NorthernUpstateSC said:

It's rare to see Mike Ventrice give a forecast like that on a public forum. His thoughts match up with what we've been saying on here, increased chances for cold intrusions from mid Feb into early March

4 minutes ago, Orangeburgwx said:

6z GFS took all of us to Heartbreak Hotel... torch

It looked ok to me. Keeps cold air in NA and keep the potential of storms. Also has a fantasy major ice storm for many CAD areas starting at day 12. Then at day 16 still shows cold air to our NW with chances of movement SE.

Fantasy ice storm:

pppp.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Lol the 6z GFS is not a torch.

Yeah lots of crazy in this thread lately....people need to let the pattern change happen...models are most likely pretty wrong in the 7+ day range if there is a major pattern change back to cold coming, they just don't do well with locking in on them until it actually happens....so if there is going to be another substantial cold outbreak it wont be evident until mid week or later.....but hey lets take the long range GFS to heart cause its always right :rolleyes:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Yeah lots of crazy in this thread lately....people need to let the pattern change happen...models are most likely pretty wrong in the 7+ day range if there is a major pattern change back to cold coming, they just don't do well with locking in on them until it actually happens....so if there is going to be another substantial cold outbreak it wont be evident until mid week or later.....but hey lets take the long range GFS to heart cause its always right :rolleyes:

Yeah agreed.  But even if you take the LR 6z verbatim, it’s still not a torch.  I don’t know for sure if the 10-15 day period will be warm or cold (although I’d lean cold), but it’s not being shown as a torch.  I don’t know what maps people are looking at.  My guess is that we see the blue and purple colors mostly to the north and west, with greens or yellows near us and assume that means warm.  That isn’t the best way to interpret those maps.

6 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Yeah agreed.  But even if you take the LR 6z verbatim, it’s still not a torch.  I don’t know for sure if the 10-15 day period will be warm or cold (although I’d lean cold), but it’s not being shown as a torch.  I don’t know what maps people are looking at.  My guess is that we see the blue and purple colors mostly to the north and west, with greens or yellows near us and assume that means warm.  That isn’t the best way to interpret those maps.

Exactly.  It’s defin not a torch,  and the respected forecasters have been saying it was going to be a battle ground as the cold pushed from the plains east toward mid February.

Everything looks that way with indices so far. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

It could just as easily stay warm through the end of February, or atleast normal temps. Just because all the cold is loaded in Canada, doesn't mean it has to hit the SE, the indicies have been wrong before

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

It could just as easily stay warm through the end of February, or atleast normal temps. Just because all the cold is loaded in Canada, doesn't mean it has to hit the SE, the indicies have been wrong before

Yep, it might never get cold again.  That is definitely within the realm of possible outcomes.  Not sure that I would tag it with a high probability marker, but you can’t deny that within the universe of all possible outcomes, eternal warm weather is one.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Yep, it might never get cold again.  That is definitely within the realm of possible outcomes.  Not sure that I would tag it with a high probability marker, but you can’t deny that within the universe of all possible outcomes, eternal warm weather is one.

especially in our part of the CONUS

17 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Carl Parker (TWC) said this shot won't make it to the SE! Highs in 50s South of KY through the 17th! :(

This might be a good set up for a major Ice Storm? JB thinks the cold will push east, IDK? Going to be interesting. Probably the most likely outcome will be a lot of snow/Ice west of the mountains at least to begin with. May take the middle or end of February for the cold makes it to the SE. I’m betting a lot of us sees an Ice Storm before the 20th. We don’t live at 5k feet, So I think models may miss seeing low level cold air in the LR!! JMO

JB does say a war sets up from Texas to NE. So we may just stay warm like CR said.

IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180127/454cbd63fa6f1e1a6b13c8e4153ebd6e.jpg[/img]

Hazardous Weather Outlook

Hazardous Weather Outlook
National Weather Service Raleigh NC
314 AM EST Sat Jan 27 2018

NCZ007>011-024>028-041>043-078-281030-
Person-Granville-Vance-Warren-Halifax-Orange-Durham-Franklin-Nash-
Edgecombe-Wake-Johnston-Wilson-Wayne-
314 AM EST Sat Jan 27 2018

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for central North Carolina.

.DAY ONE...Today and Tonight.

Hazardous weather is not expected at this time.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Sunday through Friday.

There is a slight chance of wintry weather late Monday night into
Tuesday morning from the Triangle area to the north and east.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

Spotter activation is not expected at this time.

$$