Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2018

Cary_Snow95

12 minutes ago, fritschy said:

I can't figure, cold cold cold, and no preip. warms up a little Monday with rain, then cold cold cold and no precip, what is with the moisture and cold meeting at the same time, the odds should be in our favor a few times.  CRAZY MAN!!!!!!  :ee:

Oh fritschy, you say this every winter.  It's normal winter weather. Nothing unusual about it 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, griteater said:

Oh fritschy, you say this every winter.  It's normal winter weather. Nothing unusual about it 

well excuse me my friend, I could understand if I lived in Charlotte, but not the mountains, quite a bit of difference there buddy, not saying anything that most other folks are also saying, We're wasting the cold air and its a shame, I don't claim to know that much, just get frustrated as does most on this board, :blink:

10 minutes ago, fritschy said:

well excuse me my friend, I could understand if I lived in Charlotte, but not the mountains, quite a bit of difference there buddy, not saying anything that most other folks are also saying, We're wasting the cold air and its a shame, I don't claim to know that much, just get frustrated as does most on this board, :blink:

Asheville has an average of 15" per year. You got almost 12 earlier this month, you're over your year to date average.  You're very likely to finish the year above average. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, franklin NCwx said:

Asheville has an average of 15" per year. You got almost 12 earlier this month, you're over your year to date average.  You're very likely to finish the year above average. 

Oh I know just get a little frustrated , seems we can never get the cold to hang on and when it does we can't get the moisture to come in, sorry if I sound like a broken record but that's just getting it off my chest, venting I guess.  

1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

LR GFS back to a dry look after Monday! But the Sunday night event looks a little icy in the damming regions and seems to be getting icier about every run! The stale cold air could make some in -situ wedging 

Now we are getting somewhere...10 more days of winter and it's hello spring.  GOA low, big eastern ridge.  

gfs-ens_z500aMean_nhem_12.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fritschy said:

Oh I know just get a little frustrated , seems we can never get the cold to hang on and when it does we can't get the moisture to come in, sorry if I sound like a broken record but that's just getting it off my chest, venting I guess.  

We have guys here that haven't seen in a measurable snowfall in years. In Asheville we got 14" just last month. We got nearly a foot last year and a foot and a half the year before that. Our winters are have been doing pretty good as of recently in terms of getting a good snowstorm or two. Count your blessings.

19 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

^eps has an Aleutian low.

Day 10 but not after that.  Pretty much every analog for e-nina with e-qbo is a torch for Feb, so it makes sense.  EPS/GEFS may push back the change a few days but by the 20th, winter is over in the MA/SE. Woohoo!

1 hour ago, Queencitywx said:

GFS has a sizeable event next Monday for a good chunk of western and northwestern NC

same into georgia. 12z runs of the canadian and gfs are looking more bullish. In fact, it could be quite impressive. Despite the initial parent high sliding out, the overall setup should promote increased surface pressures in the damming regions after cooling.  The gfs even appears to see it at this range, which is pretty unusual. 

gfs is showing temps already in the upper 20s and low 30s when precip arrives with dewpoints in the single digits and low teens. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lookout said:

same into georgia. 12z runs of the canadian and gfs are looking more bullish. In fact, it could be quite impressive. Despite the initial parent high sliding out, the overall setup should promote increased surface pressures in the damming regions after cooling.  The gfs even appears to see it at this range, which is pretty unusual. 

That is a pretty bad ice storm for Charlotte/Greenville/NE GA as modeled on the canadian. We all know the canadians record on ice storms, too.

Just now, Queencitywx said:

That is a pretty bad ice storm for Charlotte/Greenville/NE GA as modeled on the canadian. We all know the canadians record on ice storms, too.

gfs is a bad one too. Best case scenerio temps likely don't rise above freezing until afternoon monday...maybe...by which time this much falls. At first glance, it looks like it could start as snow or sleet. waiting on soundings. 

qpf_acc.us_se.png

3 minutes ago, griteater said:

That's going to be a cold airmass moving in behind the coastal bomb...so, just depends how far south the next system can track. The winter tracking index is above normal so far that's for sure 

It feels like we've barely stopped since that first storm.

That canadian run is bad news. 

• Like 3