Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Dec 6-15 cold may not verify

AfewUniversesBelowNormal

Short term, it's warm. 
Since mid-August, 65% of days have been +AO

This is 18z GFS ensembles at hour 102

f102.thumb.gif.6249a61f06916e7e179fe947d7172e89.gif

No signs of cold really all the way up to Canada.

A W-E cold wave never cover such a large area. Cold moves from mid-Canada to the lower midwest then thousands of miles east without losing any force, just ridiculous. 

The 168 moisture plume reflects uncertainty 

f168.thumb.gif.11c348beabfe0374b7308540ae8c1d6d.gif

There is no feedback medium-long term on Arctic blocking, so it may just move on to Scandinavia and quicker +EPO. 

The end result could be a constant SE ridge, and really no major snow threat at all. 

It was in response to an outdated assessment at that time, so yeah, a bad post. I would take all totals down significantly because a pattern is setting in that is not really friendly to consistent snow and cold and will likely last the Winter. It's the predominant pattern of the 2000s thus far. 

On 00z GFS, 516dm cutoff drops into the US with no problem. Nothing is forcing.. it's the pattern leader and 22 hours before it's completely average flow. NAO doesn't usually have this much force. I think it's a downwelling of Stratosphere PV but it usually doesn't happen in motion like this. 

gfs_namer_123_500_vort_ht.gif

Chuck, it's obvious to me that you have become another global warming nut who thinks he's better than all the models combined. Your comments are nothing more than vague critiques of what "may not happen" without a real forecast of what you believe will happen.  Your percentage chances are useless and verification scale is completely undefined based on your definition of "cold", which you have failed to quantify. And it's too late now that you've been called out. Enough already. 

There is a long way to go to enter the cold pattern. Temps in the upper midwest are +15 today.
Weather forecasting because an intuitive endeavor after so long, you get a feel of current conditions versus model runs: This one is not feeling super cold at all. , ~0 to +2 temperatures for Dec 6-15 time period DC-NYC. 

noaad1.gif

5 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

Is this Al Gore? No, I won't make you rich so you stop global warming. Anyway.. off to drive around my sports car fast and waste gas. I guess we have a panic room and a nut house thread this season.

Al Gore is a negative person in my opinion. His intentions may be good but I can see why people don't like him. The whole 1% club is fairly out to lunch, surprisingly since they are well-educated. Must be the psycho genes needed to actually become a 1%'er.

You do realize that basically from December 6 onward the models are BN to strongly BN just about every day, especially in the NE and Great Lakes... What happened the first few days of December was predicted and well modeled as AN, now the change happens. StormchaserChuck, sorry but it's hard to take anything you've said in this thread seriously when you state the obvious and ignore the changes occurring in the next few days.

4 hours ago, StormchaserChuck said:

The day before a 10day forecast bust too cold

f06.gif

And your point is??? Fact is, models predicted this warmth quite well and they’re handling the cold well also. The warmth today is irrelevant to what happens when the next 10 days or so. You’ve been saying this entire time models would bust and it would be warm December 6-15 yet models have stuck to and even intensified the cold signal. 

12 minutes ago, StormchaserChuck said:
Monday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 40.
Monday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 30.
Tuesday
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 42. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Let's talk about this ugly pattern of chemtrails or whatever it is

And your point in this is what??? Fact is the ensembles all strongly agree the Dec 6-15 timeframe will average solidly BN across the East Coast. We can see how things turn out in 10 days, my money is on the ensembles being right. They've been very reliable this year in the extended at picking up the warm/cold transitions we've been seeing.

Archived