SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2017-18 OBS Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the CMC's were just a hiccup and the progressive more easterly solutions for the coastal low on other guidance will likely verify. UL energy pass early Tuesday should provide a short burst of snow for many with up to about an inch in general for most of SE PA.

Late week "threat" following the progressive La Nina pattern of the winter and looking like merely a frontal passage.

Still liking the period of Feb 10-16 for a more respectable winter weather opportunity. Something could pop prior to that as there are several transition fronts swinging thru but better opportunity should present itself in that period I noted as the Western ridge and eastern mean trofs align more favorably.

I see 2 more threats after tomorrow before the main period begins late next week. Anything we get from them should be counted as a bonus. I do think someone will be surprised from the IVT in our area though. Just looks like it will set up somewhere around here. I think c-2" region wide should be ok but someone will definitely see 2-4" under a very narrow band. As we get yet another nickle event, I wonder how many times we have finished normal or above normal with no 6+" events. I'm only 3 inches from doing so. Does not seem like a common occurrence.

with the 12z suite more or less in besides uk and euro, I think c-2" is just about locked in across the board with a coating on grassy surfaces and maybe tables/cars being the most frequent accumulation. I don't think we even see a WWA unless Mt holly decides to do it due to the timing of the precip falling. There will be a surprise area that gets a few inches though as there always is with IVT events. The biggest thing this storm brings is the return of winter weather and a pattern that is only going to become more favorable as time progresses.

1 hour ago, The Iceman said:

with the 12z suite more or less in besides uk and euro, I think c-2" is just about locked in across the board with a coating on grassy surfaces and maybe tables/cars being the most frequent accumulation. I don't think we even see a WWA unless Mt holly decides to do it due to the timing of the precip falling. There will be a surprise area that gets a few inches though as there always is with IVT events. The biggest thing this storm brings is the return of winter weather and a pattern that is only going to become more favorable as time progresses.

Agreed, this is bonus snow, as we are supposed to be warm right now.  I'm looking forward to Superbowl weekend adn beyond. (plus the Eagles will finally get a ring. - man i hope so :) )

Nut

Expectation set at 1" after seeing the 12z euro

Nickel and dime'n along here

Who remembers winter of 2009? Similar size events then finally in February a 6" event which broke a streak of <6" snows going back to the blizzard in Feb 2006. Total for that winter imby was 28.25" needed that 6" storm to finish close to normal.

30 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Expectation set at 1" after seeing the 12z euro

Nickel and dime'n along here

Who remembers winter of 2009? Similar size events then finally in February a 6" event which broke a streak of <6" snows going back to the blizzard in Feb 2006. Total for that winter imby was 28.25" needed that 6" storm to finish close to normal.

I was going to say this winter reminds me a little of 2009 but I think we are more like 14-15 except that we had a solid start this winter while that winter was a dud until the 2nd half. That winter had nothing until late january besides that cursed november storm but from late jan through mid march we nickled and dimed our way to normal or above normal in many places. That was an underrated winter even though we never got a big one(largest was 7-8" storm in march), we were active for a solid month and a half. Fingers crossed this upcoming pattern can perform similar and we will all be very happy.

1 minute ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Wait.  Is that a decimal in front of the numbers? I can see why he'd be embarrassed.  LOL

Yep...It's pretty sad.

Thing is when the anchors (don't know their names?) introduced his segment they made it sound serious saying, "So Glenn, how much can we expect and will the morning rush be impacted?" Glenn was like, here are the pathetic totals and it won't stick to the street...they will remain wet.

2 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Yep...It's pretty sad.

Thing is when the anchors (don't know their names?) introduced his segment they made it sound serious saying, "So Glenn, how much can we expect and will the morning rush be impacted?" Glenn was like, here are the pathetic totals and it won't stick to the street...they will remain wet.

:lmao:

25 minutes ago, MGorse said:

His snowfall graphic? It looks like some sort of model output. 

Or a combination? I'm sure it is...but really what's the point? And I bet many (older folks more so) thought it was 4" , 5" etc rather than four tenths and five tenths. (decimal point is small/graphics aren't the best) Overall I just would have said coating to 1" Philly and immediate burbs...maybe a little more in the distant N/W burbs. (Lehigh Valley) 

13 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

roads around here are brined to ****. unreal for a coating of snow that will melt on contact regardless. such a waste of money. 

Not only the cost of the product itself but the labor to put it down. In addition, along w/salt, screws up the cars undercarriage. I had to have a brake line replaced last year (rotted/pitted)...due to this. 

I see 2 more threats after tomorrow before the main period begins late next week. Anything we get from them should be counted as a bonus. I do think someone will be surprised from the IVT in our area though. Just looks like it will set up somewhere around here. I think c-2" region wide should be ok but someone will definitely see 2-4" under a very narrow band. As we get yet another nickle event, I wonder how many times we have finished normal or above normal with no 6+" events. I'm only 3 inches from doing so. Does not seem like a common occurrence.

Pattern change is coming in faster than modeled (for a change). Instead of the 2 threats you mentioned after today, I actually count 4 going into 2nd half of next week. Very active few weeks coming up. Today and Friday (rain to wet snow) are our transition systems and then we start building with Sunday being another fropa with light snow, a threat for a wave developing along the front Monday, then a followup on Tuesday. Still liking the Feb 10-16 period for something more substantial but I dont want to ignore the potential for a "pop-up" storm prior to that.

Of course I will be vacationing in Wildwood from Super Bowl Sunday thru Tuesday PM so you guys up in SE PA will probably get hammered while Im in a cold rain. I enjoy "the shore" in the winter because of the desolation and escape from reality.....there is nobody around. My dream scenario is to be walking the boardwalk and/or the beach while it is snowing. I have yet to experience that as my trip planning has never coincided with snow at the SNJ shore points. I envy you guys that live there and sometimes have that opportunity.

25 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Pattern change is coming in faster than modeled (for a change). Instead of the 2 threats you mentioned after today, I actually count 4 going into 2nd half of next week. Very active few weeks coming up. Today and Friday (rain to wet snow) are our transition systems and then we start building with Sunday being another fropa with light snow, a threat for a wave developing along the front Monday, then a followup on Tuesday. Still liking the Feb 10-16 period for something more substantial but I dont want to ignore the potential for a "pop-up" storm prior to that.

Of course I will be vacationing in Wildwood from Super Bowl Sunday thru Tuesday PM so you guys up in SE PA will probably get hammered while Im in a cold rain. I enjoy "the shore" in the winter because of the desolation and escape from reality.....there is nobody around. My dream scenario is to be walking the boardwalk and/or the beach while it is snowing. I have yet to experience that as my trip planning has never coincided with snow at the SNJ shore points. I envy you guys that live there and sometimes have that opportunity.

Steve do you have a place down there or do you rent? If you own, you really need to plan a trip around a storm as opposed to the other way around :lol:  there will definitely be another SNJ crusher in the probable near future where they get a ft and SE PA smokes cirrus. I expereienced boxing day in Toms River with my college roommate and it was so surreal heading into Seaside at the height of the storm with the ocean roaring and snow absolutely ripping. One of my top snow moments to date.

Steve do you have a place down there or do you rent? If you own, you really need to plan a trip around a storm as opposed to the other way around   there will definitely be another SNJ crusher in the probable near future where they get a ft and SE PA smokes cirrus. I expereienced boxing day in Toms River with my college roommate and it was so surreal heading into Seaside at the height of the storm with the ocean roaring and snow absolutely ripping. One of my top snow moments to date.
Parents live in Cape May but for my winter trip I always rent a room on Wildwood Boardwalk with a top floor balcony overlooking the ocean. Much cheaper this time of year and no crowd noise.....very relaxing! And yes, one of these times I will pay the parents a visit around a storm but they arent too hip to the idea of me being there and wife and kids at home if I get stuck down there. Wife cant take off work as easily and kids have school. Maybe next time I will just keep telling them "its going out to sea, dont believe the news" lol. Whoops looks like I was wrong and the TV weather was right oh darn.

12 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Not only the cost of the product itself but the labor to put it down. In addition, along w/salt, screws up the cars undercarriage. I had to have a brake line replaced last year (rotted/pitted)...due to this. 

Got to put it down cause all it takes is one old lady to call and say she can't get out of her cul de sac. 

Anyway, Anything regarding Sunday's event that just popped up? Not happy I might have to work during the game. 

Archived