Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2017-18 OBS Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Wind is roaring through the tree's, certainly above the 26mph gust's predicted i guess 35-40. Waiting for the dang power to go out again.

Got back from a walk around the block (stupid move!) about an hour ago....easily 40mph+ gust. My face froze...

Euro and CMC OP's give the area a solid snowfall for next week but it is the ensembles that really have me sold on this threat. huge improvements at 500 mb imo on the 00z ensemble guidance...take a look

EPS

ecmwf-ens_z500a_namer_7.png

GEFS

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_24.png

GEPS

gem-ens_z500a_namer_25.png

stronger ridging, 50/50 low doesnt move out as quickly and -NAO looks stronger than previous runs. Overall very good trends in the mid range. Plus the EPO tanking suggests that the airmass may be slightly underdone right now. This is a much more SECSy look than yesterday. the ridging up in canada and greenland is key imo the gefs is weaker with it at 06z and it trended more north with the primary and coastal leading to a warmer solution. however, the geps and eps are stronger with that ridging and the primary dies off further south keeping us all or mostly all snow.

1 hour ago, Mikeymac5306 said:

LOL You obviously don't have to work outside everyday!  While I don't mind the OT for snow plowing, this is beginning to get silly. House and yard looking like a mess! So behind at work it's not even funny. 

Yeah, your situation would suck.

It's not that I want cold and windy at this point, it's I want to postpone Summer's 95F+ hazy, hot and humid BS weather as long as possible. Give me 60's/70's from now till Fall and I would be happy as hell (pipe dream)... 

32 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

It's not that I want cold and windy at this point, it's I want to postpone Summer's 95F+ hazy, hot and humid BS weather as long as possible. Give me 60's/70's from now till Fall and I would be happy as hell (pipe dream)... 

Agreed, I've been on medication that makes me sensitive to the heat for 2 years now and anything over 85F is just torturous for me. I would love for a massive trough to be stuck over the east this summer even if it means more rain/cloudy days to keep temps down. Nothing better than a cut off low in Juily or August that gives several days of 60s/70s for high even though its overcast or rainy. I remember back in the summer of 2007 we had that cut off low that lingered around for a week -10 days and we had temps in the 60s/70s in late July/early august. Even though it was cloudy and showery, it felt incredible. 

I'm in very preliminary stages of looking towards a spring outlook because of all the winter threats this month, but based on what I've seen so far I think we at least start off with a cool spring. Monthlies and Weeklies show April being BN temp wise and AN precip wise which is indicative of a trough in the east. I also think that we see the NAO in a negative state more than not in spring(what else is new :lol: ). The ensembles in the LR are advertising a complete breakdown of the -NAO towards the end of the month but I am not sold on it being more than transient as of now...maybe a few days of AN temps before the -NAO reasserts itself and the trough returns to the east. It's been a theme since the pattern shift for the models to kill off the -NAO too quickly just like how before they would kill the +NAO too fast and I believe that will continue to be the case. We may see a short period of a +NAO towards the end of the month but I think it will be not as positive as projected and will be transient in nature. Afterwards, I think we shift back to a pattern similar to the one we are in now. These kinds of patterns tend to stick around once they are entrenched and the models tend to show a lasting pattern change much too soon almost always.

33 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

In the interest of being reasonable I'd take low 80's and low humidity in June through August :-)

3 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Agreed, I've been on medication that makes me sensitive to the heat for 2 years now and anything over 85F is just torturous for me. I would love for a massive trough to be stuck over the east this summer even if it means more rain/cloudy days to keep temps down. Nothing better than a cut off low in Juily or August that gives several days of 60s/70s for high even though its overcast or rainy. I remember back in the summer of 2007 we had that cut off low that lingered around for a week -10 days and we had temps in the 60s/70s in late July/early august. Even though it was cloudy and showery, it felt incredible. 

I'm in very preliminary stages of looking towards a spring outlook because of all the winter threats this month, but based on what I've seen so far I think we at least start off with a cool spring. Monthlies and Weeklies show April being BN temp wise and AN precip wise which is indicative of a trough in the east. I also think that we see the NAO in a negative state more than not in spring(what else is new :lol:). The ensembles in the LR are advertising a complete breakdown of the -NAO towards the end of the month but I am not sold on it being more than transient as of now...maybe a few days of AN temps before the -NAO reasserts itself and the trough returns to the east. It's been a theme since the pattern shift for the models to kill off the -NAO too quickly just like how before they would kill the +NAO too fast and I believe that will continue to be the case. We may see a short period of a +NAO towards the end of the month but I think it will be not as positive as projected and will be transient in nature. Afterwards, I think we shift back to a pattern similar to the one we are in now. These kinds of patterns tend to stick around once they are entrenched and the models tend to show a pattern change much too soon almost always.

I remember that, man that was nice! It's like a "bonus" and subtracting the HHH days from Summer and closer to Fall.

All systems go when you want to start a thread for next weeks event...

3 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

In the interest of being reasonable I'd take low 80's and low humidity in June through August :-)

Of course I would take that while throwing in a couple T-Storms. Quite frankly I would take a Summer with ZERO 90s...I'll sign the dotted line right now.

Euro and CMC OP's give the area a solid snowfall for next week but it is the ensembles that really have me sold on this threat. huge improvements at 500 mb imo on the 00z ensemble guidance...take a look
EPS
ecmwf-ens_z500a_namer_7.png&key=1caeffe5f814af53e9e3526d1737279d75d6ab4091e4690928eb490c0086c832
GEFS
gfs-ens_z500a_namer_24.png&key=c7b90894786b1a9244067d2a629a23db7aa7cb5e5ec9b4f182c42b1cd107f969
GEPS
gem-ens_z500a_namer_25.png&key=3a6642b46fbb23d4bb74fa0455a175b7d0c5f253f42d14211af1d6e0e200567a

stronger ridging, 50/50 low doesnt move out as quickly and -NAO looks stronger than previous runs. Overall very good trends in the mid range. Plus the EPO tanking suggests that the airmass may be slightly underdone right now. This is a much more SECSy look than yesterday. the ridging up in canada and greenland is key imo the gefs is weaker with it at 06z and it trended more north with the primary and coastal leading to a warmer solution. however, the geps and eps are stronger with that ridging and the primary dies off further south keeping us all or mostly all snow.
These mean anomalies look slightly better BUT mslp positions of lp areas and 850 means being right at or above freezing in SE PA dont have me too thrilled. NW of Philly and elevations would seemingly have the best shot here given the pattern and late March climo but I guess we track and see.

Updated Snow stats for 2017/18  Seasonal Snow to Date: 42.2"

A little interesting coffee table conversation for those of you that live in Chester County Pa...do you know that the average seasonal snowfall in Chester County Pa (over 650ft) is 36.0"  - exactly the same as Chicago IL - I was on a flight today from San Francisco and my row mate was stunned at this factoid....got to love stats!

12/9 (5.0")

12/13 (1.3")

12/15 (1.3")

12/25 (0.3")

12/30 (3.8")

1/4 (3.5")

1/16 (0.3")

1/17 (1.8")

1/30 (1.3")

2/4 (0.5")

2/7 (0.5")

2/17 (5.8")

3/2 (3.3")

3/7 (11.5")

3/13 (2.0")

an inch of snow in 12 minutes just now.
heaviest I ever seen.  0 vis
MVQBjY.jpg&key=5de924cab19c0124f9c10a17583084b79f30e2d6fc21a678cebca95f8b75e5b6
JqmRwz.jpg&key=14b9cfef7a4749e2fecf128246bfe3356d4953d046b1f3a09a463253c0e05e70

Where in the poconos?

I saw the radar but did not catch anything like that in lake harmony. Got caught in a mega squall years back....8 inches in under two hours. 115.....940....903 became parking lots, vehicles sliding down the hills....no chance. We made it to a local ski shop and just watched the cars and trucks pile up in front of the shop....we tuned for a few hours.

22F at the cabin....cleared for landing later today

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived