Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2017-18 OBS Thread

Rtd208

1 minute ago, RedSky said:

Need a 25 mile shift SE on ECM for us north and west SEPA peeps Sunday, looks painful and reminds of the system earlier in the season i joked about a road trip for. If i remember correct that storm ended up even further NW.

yeah euro is close to a decent event even for the metro area. we'd still turn over, but would definitely get more of a thump. 50-75 mile shift SE and we'd all be in bussiness.. all snow for N and W then snow to light rain/drizzle for the metro area. the trend hasn't been to shift that way though... we have gotten some last minute changes that gave us a good storm this year though in less than ideal situations.. this may be another.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the HRRR has been increasing snow totals(albeit from a coating to 1-2") for 4 straight runs now for overnight. More N and W as temps will drop quicker but it's now being generous with snow to the coast. Tomorrow now looks like it may be another overperforming nickle event around here that has potential to really screw up the morning commute. Some really good last minute trends today.

Edit. 12z Euro also shows a nice hit as well with 1-2" region wide 

Edit2: 19z HRRR changes us over a full hour earlier than previously. rates on the sim radar show that once we do switch should be a hour or 2 of some nice rates. 

WXSIM has 3 rounds of wintry weather this week - with the rain this evening switching to snow around midnight here in NW Chesco with 1.3" of snow after change over before snow ends by 600 am. Light snow arrives again on SB Sunday by 1130 am becoming heavy by 3 PM with a change to ZR/IP by 530 pm with about 2.0" of snow. Then a mix of ZR and IP thru 930 pm with 0.40" of additional frozen on top of the snow - temps remaining in the 20's. Then more snow arrives heavy at times in the early AM hours of Wednesday with another inch or two of snow and then ice (with almost 1" falling as frozen) before temps rise above freezing by 9 am with another inch or so of rain falling during the day.

Crashed a little after 2am with all rain/34.9F but the back edge was approaching quickly. May have had a couple flakes mixing in at the end but it really doesn't because I only received .17" total for the entire event. Even if it was all snow, it would have been minor and probably limited stickage...

well since every other model shows nothing but misery the next 10 days, the cmc gives u a foot next weds... lol if only winter went according to that model...id average 100 inches a year
Ens give a glimmer of hope once we get to Feb 10, but we know how reliable the LR ens have been this year :sarcasm:. Would fit nicely into the Feb 10-16 period I've been keying on. I will gladly accept a fail during that period if the models are merely rushing things only to have something promising pop at the end of that range or right after though.

Archived