SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2017-18 OBS Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a fropa late tomorrow afternoon/evening but cold enough for wintry precip. Light wintry mix on solidly deep frozen ground = sketchy road travel and slippery sidewalk Jebwalking for a few hours. Temps moderate mid-week to seasonal but will feel more spring-like after this sustained Siberian vodka cold. Another fropa later in the week. Then details are muddled for the weekend with models mixed between partly sunny and chilly, rain/rain showery and raw, and a few hints that a wave develops on the trailing cold front and tries to throw frozen precip back our way. Another messy look at H5 as we've seen many times recently with a +PNA look and a digging trof in the East, a fast ns, and lots of energy all around trying to fit into the scheme. Something to watch anyway. Have a hunch there will be some implications for the Eagle's game but still 6+ days away and really, anything more than 72 hours this year has been a crapshoot thanks to the pipeline of NS energy riding thru. 

3 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

The mos guidance never had you or philly below zero. Not sure where u r getting your forecasts.

Recent NAM mos runs data had PHL generally around 5F and Doylestown around 2 or 3. GFS mos was only slightly colder with PHL at 4 and DYL at 2 (did see a run with 1F).

What are you talking about?? The current point an click by nws had me at -2 here. Earlier it said -5 for a low. All the news stations an I mean all of them said -1 for a low in philly breaking a record in philly. Talking about it for days. Bigger story the. The snow.  So what do you mean were did I get my forecast from??? 

3 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

The mos guidance never had you or philly below zero. Not sure where u r getting your forecasts.

Recent NAM mos runs data had PHL generally around 5F and Doylestown around 2 or 3. GFS mos was only slightly colder with PHL at 4 and DYL at 2 (did see a run with 1F).

5F64B412-D318-4E26-9794-D0BBA0AFC18D.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Sophisticated Skeptic said:

first time I could remember having just 2" to 3" inches on the ground...that sustained for 3 weeks+.    Feels like a permafrost out there. 

I was thinking about the Feb 2006 storm that dropped 12"+ w/thunder snow and it all pretty much all melted a few days later.

got down to 2 last night. not below zero but still pretty freaking cold lol tomorrow nights commute could sneak up on people. it's just a frontal passage but should give enough precip for a glaze over everything. I only think the shore sees plain rain. next Friday/weekend event is so up in the air but with the significant ice build up in the rivers an all rain event of 1" or more could be ice jams and flooding. the Delaware is all frozen even past the falls in Trenton. 

57 minutes ago, Plokoon111 said:

Too cold for me today and the past few days. Its nice to see the snow cover remain intact. Really curious to see what happens Monday. Could be a hectic drive home. 

Off topic: Which one of you guys is Carl?

There's probably a couple Carl's on here, but pretty sure you are looking for me.B)

NAMs say tomorrow evening rush hour will get glazed with a period of light fzra. Model has light precip but enough to make things slick. Temps holding in the upper 20s. Hope Penndot is ready and is at least ready to go. Not sure residual salt from last week will help? Couldnt move in at a worse time.

Eta: Meanwhile the Canadians want to drop a period of accumulating snows across SE PA. The new HRDPS is a general 1-2". Some spots could incrementally tack onto their seasonal totals if the CMC family is correct.

Saturday threat still looms on guidance. If you showed me the ops (outside of the NAVGEM and JMA) I would be leaning 90/10 rain setup, no doubt. But with the 2 models I mentioned PLUS the GEFS ens means still hinting at a farther East positioning of the coastal lp (GEPS west of I95/EPS directly on the NJ Coast). Im thinking 70/30 rain vs snow or rain to snow chances right now. One of the keys is what happens with the energy off the FL Coast Thursday night/Friday AM. If that vorticity can get pulled N out ahead of the amplifying trof it could help create enough of a weakness to help broaden the mean trof and drag it East like the NAVGEM/JMA show. Keep in mind the NAVGEM is generally progressive anyway so for it to be farther East when other guidance is West shouldnt be a surprise or raise any red flags. Chances are not great that this will work out but keep an eye on trends and if the ens means keep the lp off the mid atl/Ne coast or start following the ops west instead. Need the ns to press thru first.....cold chasing the precip wont work for us. We also dont want a big amped up phasing solution in the South Central US.

Update: we did indeed remain below freezing today in Chester County PA with a high of 26.4...therefore have now moved into a tie for the 2nd longest sub-32 streak in the 125 year Chester County Pa database at 14 consecutive days. The only longer streak January 19, 1961 through February 3, 1961 at 16 days. I am somewhat surprised and impressed by this cold spell as many have opined that such a below normal stretch would be unlikely with the current state of climate change. Whether you are a believer or a denier like me....this has been an impressive cold stretch!

18 minutes ago, ChescoPaWxman said:

Update: we did indeed remain below freezing today in Chester County PA with a high of 26.4...therefore have now moved into a tie for the 2nd longest sub-32 streak in the 125 year Chester County Pa database at 14 consecutive days. The only longer streak January 19, 1961 through February 3, 1961 at 16 days. I am somewhat surprised and impressed by this cold spell as many have opined that such a below normal stretch would be unlikely with the current state of climate change. Whether you are a believer or a denier like me....this has been an impressive cold stretch!

Nah, the globe certainly isn't warming......  I am sorry, but your understanding of the topic is clearly flawed (which is sad), especially when you constantly bring up local temp records to opine on climate related issues.  Do us all a favor in this regional forum, and post this crap in the climate change forum so we can watch those in the know laugh.

image.png.cb02606fbbcad0a5ea9dc6c6e6e5f2ae.png

3 hours ago, hazwoper said:

Nah, the globe certainly isn't warming......  I am sorry, but your understanding of the topic is clearly flawed (which is sad), especially when you constantly bring up local temp records to opine on climate related issues.  Do us all a favor in this regional forum, and post this crap in the climate change forum so we can watch those in the know laugh.

Ridiculously harsh and unnecessary post which is one reason I (and many others) have moved on to another forum!!!

23 minutes ago, snowwors2 said:

Ridiculously harsh and unnecessary post which is one reason I (and many others) have moved on to another forum!!!

Are you serious??  Seriously???  He posts this denier crap every month.  I am not harsh and am completely in my right as a scientist to state the facts.

14 hours ago, hazwoper said:

Wow...now that is a very calm and amiable response...why the need to attack? I did not mention climate change to provoke anger out of you. It was simply mentioned irrespective of your position on the topic as an impressive streak. This is so sad as this is what many in society do today...whether it's politics or scientific discussions. I tell my kids disagreements and discussions are a sign of intelligence. Too often many choose today to simply shut down those with opposing opinions or get angry and cast disparaging remarks on insults one's intelligence as was done in the above post. I of course have no anger and will choose not to insult your intelligence as you did to me in the above. For the record I of course believe that climate is always changing (fact - it always has and will)...now whether man is responsible for these changes or if it is cyclical is clearly not settled science - as you know many scientists including METS do NOT agree it is because of man...and just because it has trended warmer does not mean it will not trend back long after you and I are gone. 

Archived