Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2017-18 OBS Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, RedSky said:

2' diameter ash tree crashed down and narrowly missed the house this morning felt like an earthquake, quite the eventful month here.

That would have been a wonderful present this morning--glad it missed your house! We had one gust that, if it was another time of year with leaves on the trees, I have no doubt something would have come crashing down. So far just branches and decorations taking a beating.

45 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

That would have been a wonderful present this morning--glad it missed your house! We had one gust that, if it was another time of year with leaves on the trees, I have no doubt something would have come crashing down. So far just branches and decorations taking a beating.

Had the tree fallen at 11 O'clock vs 2 O'clock this day has a completely different flavor right now 

4 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Had a big red bow on the front light post. The winds ripped that to shreds, found a portion of it in the backyard...lol!!

Lol....it's something you'll remember though:)

My area had the bag-candle-sidewalk thing going on....winds kicked in. Even w/sand at the bottom the bags ripped and took off. A good portion caught on fire mid flight...

31F

Aside from some light snow that the cold atmosphere will try and squeeze out periodically, this current BN temp/cold pattern we just entered will likely not be the period we get another chance for a SECS/MECS. My thinking is that the Eastern US is overwhelmed with cold and HP with the broad trof being just a bit displaced to the East. We would see more amplification with ridging or a block in the ATL but without that look the trof is able to extend East with any disturbance swinging and missing to our South and East. Never say never.....maybe we can get a transient ridge to pop at just the right time during this pattern but I am under the impression our next threat comes when this pattern starts to relax (note: relax and not a complete and sudden flip which would probably not be good). With that said, we are at least a week away from a look where the press of BN temps arent suppressed as far South. Here's hoping that a little patience will pay off down the line.

Hi Steve I for one am getting pretty confident that we see a plowable snow event this coming Saturday - with high ratios. Expecting the NAM to start joining with the CMC /EURO. I think almost all here will see a general 2" to 5" event. Most of the models should come around by 12z tomorrow. Stay tuned...

I agree Ralph, while there is an outside chance we get something measurable in the next 7 days, I don't see a threat for a big storm until the pattern relaxes as the CMC and Euro showed last night. That system currently modeled in the day 8-9 day range is the one to watch and is the best chance of a big storm before the pattern relaxes and we move into a slightly above normal temp regime. Ensembles don't show torch which is a good thing but the -NAO breaks down and while it won't be 60 degrees, the pattern in the long range looks to me like temps in the mid upper 40s which would be slightly above normal for this time of year and any storm threat will have likely have temp issues or take an unfavorable track. The good news is that the pacific still looks good in the long range. The pacific has actually been quite favorable for a bit now and it really doesn't show signs of breaking down. If we strike out on this SECS/MECS threat before the pattern relaxes, an above normal winter snowfall seems unlikely to me despite the good december. We could nickle and dime our way to average though imo as I don't see signs of a torch for now.

This Saturday deal keeps looking less and less. All I want is 2 inches to stick around in this cold. The big dog looks to be taking aim around the Jan 3-5 time frame. Pattern looks ripe for a big storm

Here's the 12z Euro. Almost a triple phase and a whole latitudinal trough. Look at that western ridge as well.

ecmwf_vort_500_noram_186.png

I really like the threat in the jan 3-5 period. You can see on the 12z euro how the trough slowly relaxes throughout the run as threat by threat gets squashed but each system progressively gets closer to the coast with each miss until the trough relaxes enough to allow for amplification and phasing. Even if this misses, the continuing modeled pattern showing an easing of the trough as opposed to an all out pattern switch would mean the next threat would also have a great chance of being a coastal. The jan 1-15th period should provide several chances at SECS imo. Remember, even a slightly above normal air mass in january can be good enough to produce snow. I am not convinced the pattern switches either after the relaxation. I think their is a fairly decent shot due to the pacific of it reloading and unleashing more cold despite my winter forecast of the pattern changing in mid january. I didn't anticipate the pacific being as favorable as it has been with no signs of becoming unfavorable up through mid month shown on the ensembles. In the short term for this weekend, I don't see us getting more than a coating to an inch. I'd feel much more optomistic if I live from NYC north to see a decent event, I just don't see how this will get it's act together in time to give us a decent event. As I said though with each near miss, the SE ridge builds, the trough slowly weakens and eventually we should be in the sweet spot for one of these to ride the coast.

2 hours ago, The Iceman said:

I really like the threat in the jan 3-5 period. You can see on the 12z euro how the trough slowly relaxes throughout the run as threat by threat gets squashed but each system progressively gets closer to the coast with each miss until the trough relaxes enough to allow for amplification and phasing. Even if this misses, the continuing modeled pattern showing an easing of the trough as opposed to an all out pattern switch would mean the next threat would also have a great chance of being a coastal. The jan 1-15th period should provide several chances at SECS imo. Remember, even a slightly above normal air mass in january can be good enough to produce snow. I am not convinced the pattern switches either after the relaxation. I think their is a fairly decent shot due to the pacific of it reloading and unleashing more cold despite my winter forecast of the pattern changing in mid january. I didn't anticipate the pacific being as favorable as it has been with no signs of becoming unfavorable up through mid month shown on the ensembles. In the short term for this weekend, I don't see us getting more than a coating to an inch. I'd feel much more optomistic if I live from NYC north to see a decent event, I just don't see how this will get it's act together in time to give us a decent event. As I said though with each near miss, the SE ridge builds, the trough slowly weakens and eventually we should be in the sweet spot for one of these to ride the coast.

I noticed the attempt at a triple phase on the 12z euro so I pulled up the 500mb maps of the 1993 Superstorm from Kocin's "Northeast Snowstorms" book. There are a lot of similarities, obviously, solely because triple phases very rarely happen. The most noticeable similarity was the "trough merge" as the book called it from a northern stream vort and the southern stream vort just as the 12z euro showed. Biggest difference was that the trough from 1993 was so much deeper, went negative much quicker, and closed off much quicker. I wasn't alive for the 1993 storm, but I can only imagine how perfect that "Superstorm" was......

Archived