Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Twitter and Facebook has probably peeled off more posters than any single forum. I know people that aren't into the weather like us who get most of their weather info from social media.

Social media is the least accurate way to get weather :P

10 minutes ago, Morris said:

I think that everyone knows that a majority of the quality posters of this subforum jumped ship to a competing site and that they are now very active. 

There's several competing sites...one of which is very large and the other a much smaller group.  It was bound to happen.  I miss the days of one stop shopping for all my weather needs!   Twitter too as Bluewave notes, although alot of those people also post on message boards.

16 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The writing was on the wall for that January 2008 debacle. You knew it wasn't going to end well when each successive model run getting closer to the event cut back the snow. Very tough winter but the late Feb SWFE eased the let down of that winter slightly.

I knew the writing was on the wall when it was still in the 40's right at game time and there was no cold air anywhere.   We heard the usual "this storm will make its own cold air" but you just knew it was on life support.  We got a couple of slushy inches here in the end, but it was a debacle for sure.

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

There's several competing sites...one of which is very large and the other a much smaller group.  It was bound to happen.  I miss the days of one stop shopping for all my weather needs!   Twitter too as Bluewave notes, although alot of those people also post on message boards.

Back before there were subforums we had one big section where everyone congregated and kept refreshing for model updates- I fondly remember that!

I knew the writing was on the wall when it was still in the 40's right at game time and there was no cold air anywhere.   We heard the usual "this storm will make its own cold air" but you just knew it was on life support.  We got a couple of slushy inches here in the end, but it was a debacle for sure.

Did people say the make its cold air thing about March 2001 debacle too?

I got teased at work for telling everyone to stay home and look what happened lol.

NYC schools closing was a joke too.

We did manage to salvage something decent on the backside.

Just now, Paragon said:

Did people say the make its cold air thing about March 2001 debacle too?

I got teased at work for telling everyone to stay home and look what happened lol.

We did manage to salvage something decent on the backside.

No-there was plenty of cold air for that, it was just the storm formed too late, further N and E which is a common bias for these systems.   The Jan 2015 debacle had that same problem, models were 100 miles too far S and W.

Just now, Brian5671 said:

No-there was plenty of cold air for that, it was just the storm formed too late, further N and E which is a common bias for these systems.   The Jan 2015 debacle had that same problem, models were 100 miles too far S and W.

Yeah big surprise bust by the Euro on that one (Jan 2015).  Made up for it in Jan 2016!

6 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

I can't imagine what the forums would have been like from the 80's into the early 90's when negative snow busts like that were the norm.

Just now, bluewave said:

I can't imagine what the forums would have been like from the 80's into the early 90's when negative snow busts like that were the norm.

I know right!   We'd all be jumping off the GW-think Feb 89 type busts which happened all the time...or storms that were supposed to start as snow and instead they were all rain and you had no idea until the 1st drops started falling...

12 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Social media is the least accurate way to get weather :P

That guy who posted the 240 hr Euro snowfall maps off wxbell was like something off a sitcom. I can remember all the NWS and local wx media around Philly up in arms after that.

I know right!   We'd all be jumping off the GW-think Feb 89 type busts which happened all the time...or storms that were supposed to start as snow and instead they were all rain and you had no idea until the 1st drops started falling...

I really don't know how the forecasters back in the 70's and 80's even put together a forecast with how bad the guidance was.

5 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Dec 89! ugh twice in the same calendar year!

5 minutes ago, bluewave said:

That guy who posted the 240 hr Euro snowfall maps off wxbell was like something off a sitcom. I can remember all the NWS and local wx media around Philly up in arms after that.

or the Jan 2015 40" snowfall predictions.

I think we had the same for Nemo / Feb 2013.

Some of those even made it into newspaper articles a day before the event.

Well they did get 30+ inches of snow in both events......somewhere lol........

5 minutes ago, Paragon said:

or the Jan 2015 40" snowfall predictions.

I think we had the same for Nemo / Feb 2013.

Some of those even made it into newspaper articles a day before the event.

Well they did get 30+ inches of snow in both events......somewhere lol........

My biggest snowfall disappointments of the 2010's were missing the jackpots in Feb 13 and Jan 15.

6 minutes ago, bluewave said:

My biggest snowfall disappointments of the 2010's were missing the jackpots in Feb 13 and Jan 15.

Yes, but Jan 2015 was a little easier to take because of February and March.

Then we had the massive Jan 2016 event lol

Funny I have a more positive view of 2014-15 than I do of 2013-14 because of the mix events on the south shore in 2013-14 and because March ended up being suppressed of all things lol.  A lot better backend in 2014-15 and much colder.  Below freezing SSTs and freezing drizzle on an onshore wind and single digit temps right up to March 1st lol.

10 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Yep, I remember it was compared to the Blizzard of 1888

Do you think Feb 1978 seems less special now because of this recent climo we are now in?

The extremes of 1978 reminded me of the types of wild weather which have become the norm now.

January 13 ice storm...January 20 positive bust 15"+ on LI.....January 26 super-phaser and Ohio blizzard....Feb 5 blizzard and coastal flood.

6 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The extremes of 1978 reminded me of the types of wild weather which have become the norm now.

January 13 ice storm...January 20 positive bust 15"+ on LI.....January 26 super-phaser and Ohio blizzard....Feb 5 blizzard and coastal flood.

It actually seems like a combo of 1993-94 and 2010-11, with a dash of 1960-61 thrown in lol.

Back to back weak el ninos created an abnormally strong STJ that season?

I heard there were ice storms in Dec 1977 too, and March 1978 had an interesting 3-5 inch snow event, so the winter didn't last for just a few weeks.

Just now, Paragon said:

It actually seems like a combo of 1993-94 and 2010-11 lol, with a dash of 1960-61 thrown in lol.

I heard there were ice storms in Dec 1977 too, and March 1978 had an interesting 3-5 inch snow event, so the winter didn't last for just a few weeks.

All I really remember about that winter was 1/13 to 2/5. It was my first trip to the Bethpage golf course winter sledding hill.

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

All I really remember about that winter was 1/13 to 2/5. It was my first trip to the Bethpage golf course winter sledding hill.

When I was in college I used to research old winters and old storms during my free time on microfiche (New York Times) lol.  It was fun to read newsprint about how weather was viewed back then.  And to see old weather maps!

Just now, Paragon said:

All we need now is a triple phaser all snow event- that's the one thing we haven't seen yet.

Maybe we will during the next few years.

I was thinking the same thing. Could you image March 93 taking a benchmark track instead? That's the one that I am waiting for.

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived