Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unbelievable amount of warmth in the Arctic recently when the strat warm and record low sea ice were combined. It's no wonder that we are seeing so many extreme winter storm coastal events in March.

Vertical structure of February 2018's Northern Hemisphere temperatures is pretty neat! Clear stratosphere signal from our sudden stratospheric warming event and significant positive anomalies in the Arctic surface-lower troposphere.pic.twitter.com/Qi6gzMAh3w

DYmVHy-UQAAJG7v.jpg-small.jpg.92671608bdfc2c0325a8bdc8af988a8a.jpg

2 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I do remember someone very adamant in the beginning of the month that everything falls apart mid month and the dreaded torch would rear it’s ugly head for the rest of the month. We’re past mid month and I’m just not seeing it. Did I somehow misinterpret and they meant mid April? Maybe mid May?

..whoever said that was obviously wrong...BUT earthlight on twitter says AFTER next w/e threat(march 25) "winter

is so over"..does he see a warm up?..i hope so..

17 minutes ago, doncat said:

One of my favorite songs, Glen Campbell.:)

I also liked “ By the time I get to Phoenix” and Wichita Lineman”. The part of that ballad about the stretch not standing the strain in the heavy snow sure rings true. I was a senior in a college in Arkansas ( fun for a kid from Brooklyn ) when that song came out.

3 minutes ago, rclab said:

I also liked “ By the time I get to Phoenix” and Wichita Lineman”. The part of that ballad about the stretch not standing the strain in the heavy snow sure rings true. I was a senior in a college in Arkansas ( fun for a kid from Brooklyn ) when that song came out.

James Taylor did a great Wichita Lineman cover. His voice suits that song perfectly.

6 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Remember when winter was declared over like 7 weeks ago?

Eh but I don't know if anyone reputable was saying that.  Though I understand the sentiment at the time.  I'm not learned enough to think one way or the other about long-term patterns.

Even in the midst of that heat I started seeing calls for an active March.  This is beyond the pale though.

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived