Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

35 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

same nonsense is starting in the new storm thread by the same posters that are usually involved in - will soon be an unreadable thread - but what else is new

Why can't people just ignore each other instead of bickering? With that said, some people will always favor either snow, or no snow, and with the exception of a hand full of people, very rarely show no bias. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally random, but as I bundled up this morning to leave for work I was struck by the realization that I have been finding this chilly March weather to be more physically unbearable than the frigid temperatures we experienced in January. Totally psychological, I know.

And now back to the bickering.

43 minutes ago, Mophstymeo said:

Totally random, but as I bundled up this morning to leave for work I was struck by the realization that I have been finding this chilly March weather to be more physically unbearable than the frigid temperatures we experienced in January. Totally psychological, I know.

We used up our 60 degree day allotment for the first 3 months of 2018 early. Newark had 3 in January...6 in February....only 1 in March so far. Jan max...64...Feb...80...Mar 61 so far. Welcome to the new 2010's weather patterns.;)

1 hour ago, Mophstymeo said:

This stronger sunshine helps.

8 hours ago, Rjay said:

Just a heads up for anyone else who decides to do this in the future:

If you come into a strom thread, make sure your first post in there isn't about Hitler.   You will likely be banned.  TIA.

Isn’t that like strike 9685844332 with him?

25 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Are any reports of the Aurora being active coming in yet? Trying to decide if I should go for a ride and see what there is to see. @Juliancolton

The solar wind and hemispheric power look really unimpressive right now... probably one of those nights where only Mt. Washington sees the auroral oval on the far northern horizon. The media sort of went bonkers with a fairly garden variety coronal hole stream. 

1 minute ago, Juliancolton said:

The solar wind and hemispheric power look really unimpressive right now... probably one of those nights where only Mt. Washington sees the auroral oval on the far northern horizon. The media sort of went bonkers with a fairly garden variety coronal hole stream. 

Glad I didn't just jump in the car and head somewhere to watch something that's not happening.

The OVATION oval is often too generous on the night side when magnetic storming is weak, and this is probably one of those cases... you're not usually going to get visible lights in southern ON or QC with the DST struggling to get below -35 nT. Solar wind took a jump up to around 500 km/s, but that's still not impressive when you consider the Bt of the IMF is at about 4, and falling. Need that hemispheric power closer to 100 GW.

fxYbAOL.png

7 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

The OVATION oval is often too generous on the night side when magnetic storming is weak, and this is probably one of those cases... you're not usually going to get visible lights in southern ON or QC with the DST struggling to get below -35 nT. Solar wind took a jump up to around 500 km/s, but that's still not impressive when you consider the Bt of the IMF is at about 4, and falling. Need that hemispheric power closer to 100 GW.

fxYbAOL.png

I didn't know that. Thanks for the information 

8 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Thanks. It's a rolling gigglefest :lol: 4.6" tires on 82mm carbon wheels with a 120mm travel plush as could be air fork up front. It makes my fat old self happy :D

You may have pounds but if you can push that baby in the natural hood your pounds are not certainly not hurting you.

It's interesting how social media is driving a sort of mainstreaming of information about models that not too long ago no hobbyist would even know existed unless they spent time on boards like this one.  My wife is the polar opposite of me when it comes to weather - she looks at her accuweather app to check the forecast like other normal people.  Today I said casually that a storm might be on the way and she said 'Yeah, I hear the NAN says there may be a storm."   'm not sure how I feel about this.

5 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

It's interesting how social media is driving a sort of mainstreaming of information about models that not too long ago no hobbyist would even know existed unless they spent time on boards like this one.  My wife is the polar opposite of me when it comes to weather - she looks at her accuweather app to check the forecast like other normal people.  Today I said casually that a storm might be on the way and she said 'Yeah, I hear the NAN says there may be a storm."   'm not sure how I feel about this.

Yes I hear teachers and custodians talking about the Euro......

3 hours ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

In a way it’s good but it’s also ridiculous and irresponsible when TV mets post 25” snow maps from models like the RPM when it’s the outlier solution and all it does is get people in a panic. ABC 7 is at least balanced about it and shows the low and high end models to make the audience see the range of outcomes. 

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived