Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

1 hour ago, L.I.Pete said:

Up in Albany and hoping to get a peek. Have my 12mm f2 ready...

Usually i've seen it between 8pm and 4am with 8pm to midnight being the prime time. https://www.lightpollutionmap.info is a great website to find a good spot to photograph. This site updates every two minutes and lets you see the current KP level and ovation map. http://cdn.softservenews.com/

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, seanick said:

Now that I think about it, I am in a few groups that have are just for alerts. Completely forgot about that. Too bad the Adirondacks or an equal latitude is cloudy tonight. Long Island looks clear but you need a ridiculously large solar storm to see the Aurora there. 

Take a flight to International Falls.

There used to be an awesome site that showed ENSO state, the state or the NAO, PNA and AO and whether is was rising or falling, 850mb low track, 500mb low track, surface low track, the axis od heaviest snows, high pressure positioning, etc etc etc but it's gone.   

35 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Does anyone rememeber the site Im talking about?

Had images like the ones below.  It was a case study of the top northeast snowstorms (before 2010 I believe).

I feel like the name was Berkshire...something.

I think this was the site... seems like the imagine hosting service he was using is dead though

http://berkswintercast.tripod.com/id85.html

2 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Much less detailed than K/U but still a great tool for winter weenie beginners.

A shame the images are gone. 

Yeah, that used to be one of my go-to sites for browsing in like August to shake off the summer doldrums. Hadn't thought about it in a while. There are a ton of great resources from the early web that are sadly just rotting away over time.

35 minutes ago, Rjay said:

It was like the weenie guide to snow storms.  I loved it when i first found it and wish it still worked and could pass it on to our younger posters to learn a few things.

My favorite regular weather reading when I went online in the late 90's was the Walt Drag AFD's out of Boston. That was what first got me interested in the concept of long range forecasts.

26 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Now that brings back some memories!

Yeah, the detail of his AFD's went above and beyond what any meteorologists were doing at the time. He would usually be among the first to advertise storm potential in the long range. 

4 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, the detail of his AFD's went above and beyond what any meteorologists were doing at the time. He would usually be among the first to advertise storm potential in the long range. 

And it wasn't just the detail, it was his wording too.  Just terrific stuff back in the day.

48 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

And it wasn't just the detail, it was his wording too.  Just terrific stuff back in the day.

My only regret is that I went online in January 97 instead of a year earlier. Snowstorms were tough to come by from 96-97 to 99-00. March 99 was really the only nice surprise in that period.

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

Yeah, that used to be one of my go-to sites for browsing in like August to shake off the summer doldrums. Hadn't thought about it in a while. There are a ton of great resources from the early web that are sadly just rotting away over time.

Same thing with engine building resources.  There is some great online theory out there from the late 90's and early 00's.  Love the way those old sites are laid out.  Now technology has changed and things have gotten more precise, but that info is still relevant in most cases.

2 hours ago, North and West said:

Speaking of Kocin/Uccellini, is there a way to read that book? Maybe via Kindle? Has there been an update? I was looking through my library catalog and can't find it. 

The most recent edition was published in 2004, which, although feeling like just yesterday, is pretty dated at this point (at least in terms of the case studies). I know Paul occasionally talks about a forthcoming update, but who knows if Dr. Uccellini would have time to contribute again now that he's at the helm of the NWS.

6 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

The most recent edition was published in 2004, which, although feeling like just yesterday, is pretty dated at this point (at least in terms of the case studies). I know Paul occasionally talks about a forthcoming update, but who knows if Dr. Uccellini would have time to contribute again now that he's at the helm of the NWS.

When that came out Kocin came to Kean and did a presentation. I had the privledge of attending and I wasn’t dissapointed. TWC really declined after his departure.

17 hours ago, Rjay said:

Does anyone rememeber the site Im talking about?

Had images like the ones below.  It was a case study of the top northeast snowstorms (before 2010 I believe).

I feel like the name was Berkshire...something.

post-12006-1224196034.png

post-17426-1234583754.png

https://web.archive.org/web/20170503152017/http://berkswintercast.tripod.com/id85.html

Archive of site. Some images missing.

10 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

When that came out Kocin came to Kean and did a presentation. I had the privledge of attending and I wasn’t dissapointed. TWC really declined after his departure.

Agreed.  But next week I'm switching from FIOS to Optimum JUST so I can get The Weather Channel back on my TV.  FIOS dropped it a couple of years ago.  Stupid move.  Accuweather, though they try, just doesn't live up to what TWC can offer - especially during Spring tornado season...

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived