Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Severe season starts soon down there, I'm sure they will start making up for it. 

I was thinking more on how this evolves or shifts over time in relationship to the summer US ridge pattern. Very tough to make a guess until we see the precip and pressure distribution later spring and early summer. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting ride into the city just now. I had snow on my lawn still in wantagh. As soon as we got past bellmore there was no snow anywhere despite areas to my west yesterday reporting more snow. This makes me question the 2.7” wantagh report. I wasn’t there to measure but it seems either that number was low or the reports west were high. 

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Interesting ride into the city just now. I had snow on my lawn still in wantagh. As soon as we got past bellmore there was no snow anywhere despite areas to my west yesterday reporting more snow. This makes me question the 2.7” wantagh report. I wasn’t there to measure but it seems either that number was low or the reports west were high. 

It may be that the sun came out earlier there yesterday giving them more melting time.

5aa97d6c4122d_Screenshot2018-03-14at3_45_09PM.png.c6f1d149e0c500e0c0f52c1c8d6e34a2.png

4 hours ago, bluewave said:

It may be that the sun came out earlier there yesterday giving them more melting time.

5aa97d6c4122d_Screenshot2018-03-14at3_45_09PM.png.c6f1d149e0c500e0c0f52c1c8d6e34a2.png

One of the more bizarre snowfall distributions I have seen around here yesterday.  I actually believe some of the western LI 10 - 11 inch reports that were surrounded by less than half of that.  Plus, that "dark band" along the immediate north shore is real.  A friend of mine lives on the beach in Northport and got 0".  I am a mile from the sound and got 6".  Another friend of mine plows in the St James and Nissequoge area.  He was plowing one account with well over 6" of snow, then went to another less than 3 miles away and there was zilch.  All 4 of these locations are marked up (very roughly) on the map below.  An LI snowfall map for this one would be insane.

Screenshot2018-03-14at3_45_09PM.jpg

On 3/14/2018 at 4:34 AM, seanick said:

The roads were fine as far as snow. A lot of black ice though. Southampton had more snow than even the next town over on each side. They must have had one hell of a snow band positioned over them. I'll take photos on my way back once it's daylight although I'm sure a lot melted. It took me 3 hours to get out here. Winds are gusting to 30 but there's not a cloud in the sky and all the stars are out. I'll post photos tomorrow. 

Wow it truly was like lake effect then.

12 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

To be fair, this is always true when you try to compress a 4D universe into a 2D array of silver halide crystals or pixels with a limited color space... ie. every photograph ever taken.

I mean the point of AP is to actually capture more than what the eye can see- same with IR or UV photography, that's what makes them special.

One thing I dont understand though why do so many people doing aurora photography like taking pictures of their rear LCD when doing so?

8 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

One of the more bizarre snowfall distributions I have seen around here yesterday.  I actually believe some of the western LI 10 - 11 inch reports that were surrounded by less than half of that.  Plus, that "dark band" along the immediate north shore is real.  A friend of mine lives on the beach in Northport and got 0".  I am a mile from the sound and got 6".  Another friend of mine plows in the St James and Nissequoge area.  He was plowing one account with well over 6" of snow, then went to another less than 3 miles away and there was zilch.  All 4 of these locations are marked up (very roughly) on the map below.  An LI snowfall map for this one would be insane.

Screenshot2018-03-14at3_45_09PM.jpg

Ed, where would that very heavy Southampton streamer be? And also is it me or does the western part of the north fork and the adjacent north shore look like they got the most snow, not Southampton?

2 hours ago, Paragon said:

I mean the point of AP is to actually capture more than what the eye can see- same with IR or UV photography, that's what makes them special.

One thing I dont understand though why do so many people doing aurora photography like taking pictures of their rear LCD when doing so?

It's a social media thing. I find it stupid. It's not as bad if someone post it on their Facebook / Instagram story I suppose but why show a half ass shot that's not finished. Most people shoot in Raw and not Jpeg. Raw is a flat image,equivalent to an undeveloped photo back in the days of film. 

1 hour ago, seanick said:

It's a social media thing. I find it stupid. It's not as bad if someone post it on their Facebook / Instagram story I suppose but why show a half ass shot that's not finished. Most people shoot in Raw and not Jpeg. Raw is a flat image,equivalent to an undeveloped photo back in the days of film. 

It's actually quite helpful to let others know when a substorm is ongoing by sharing a back of camera shot in real time. Sort of an unwritten rule of aurora chasing that you try to report from the field if you have mobile coverage. I guess the picture isn't strictly necessary, but it's fun sometimes... akin to the celebratory posting you see here when the snow is epic

29 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

It's actually quite helpful to let others know when a substorm is ongoing by sharing a back of camera shot in real time. Sort of an unwritten rule of aurora chasing that you try to report from the field if you have mobile coverage. I guess the picture isn't strictly necessary, but it's fun sometimes... akin to the celebratory posting you see here when the snow is epic

Now that I think about it, I am in a few groups that have are just for alerts. Completely forgot about that. Too bad the Adirondacks or an equal latitude is cloudy tonight. Long Island looks clear but you need a ridiculously large solar storm to see the Aurora there. 

Sky8_northeast.png

It's still our beloved Feen, Pete. W. F. Figures to take the measurement in Central Park after a day of S+ with 1:1 ratios. It would be less if he allows the zoo keepers to measure.,;)

50 minutes ago, L.I.Pete said:

Only two inches? Who are you and what have you done with WeatherFeen? :-P

53 minutes ago, seanick said:

Now that I think about it, I am in a few groups that have are just for alerts. Completely forgot about that. Too bad the Adirondacks or an equal latitude is cloudy tonight. Long Island looks clear but you need a ridiculously large solar storm to see the Aurora there. 

Sky8_northeast.png

What time is this expected to be the strongest tonight? I think the later it gets the better the sky conditions may be here in the LHV.

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived