• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

There's something fun about expecting nothing to a few flurries, watching the current water vapor loop and wondering... could she come west?

Agreed - my favorite storms are the surprises. Last week was a both a pleasant and unpleasant surprise - LOTS OF SNOW! NOT LOTS OF HEAT OF POWER!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, North and West said:

I wonder when the last year was that March was the snowiest winter month. It will be for MMU; not sure about the climate sites in the region.

We saw something similar last year where interior areas also had the snowiest month in March. So it's 2 years in a row now. Welcome to March in the Rockies.

DLPuPohUQAAKyRU.jpg-small.jpg.9e3f1fdfc36fc3d6a6d093c4f64be0ea.jpg

I still remember very vividly that the morning of the Blizzard of '83 that the consensus on the radio was for 2-5" for LI.  This was a temporary letdown since the night before the talk was about something bigger.  12:30PM it started snowing to beat the band.  I remember TWC playing catch up that afternoon. First saying 8-10", then up to a foot (magical words back in the day.)    Wondering if we can get that kind of nice surprise tonight.

51 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

I still remember very vividly that the morning of the Blizzard of '83 that the consensus on the radio was for 2-5" for LI.  This was a temporary letdown since the night before the talk was about something bigger.  12:30PM it started snowing to beat the band.  I remember TWC playing catch up that afternoon. First saying 8-10", then up to a foot (magical words back in the day.)    Wondering if we can get that kind of nice surprise tonight.

We had like 1 model back then

7 hours ago, North and West said:

Agreed - my favorite storms are the surprises. Last week was a both a pleasant and unpleasant surprise - LOTS OF SNOW! NOT LOTS OF HEAT OF POWER!

It's been snowing over the entire eastern half of PA most of the day, I was reading reports of 4 inches having already fallen there and it was still coming down.

5 hours ago, North and West said:

I wonder when the last year was that March was the snowiest winter month. It will be for MMU; not sure about the climate sites in the region.

I think during the entire decade of the 50s taken overall, March was the snowiest month (also because the other months generally sucked.)

I don’t get the opposition many still hold towards (unofficially) naming major winter storms. It’s done for tropical cyclones.

Personally, I need something more than “winter storm (insert range of dates)” or else it becomes forgettable and/or conflated with multiple previous storms.

Just now, e46and2 said:

diagnosis confirmed.  self awareness lacking.  if this board had member approval ratings you would be scraping the bottom.  this is news to you, and nobody else.  self awareness is key.

Says the guy that has been here for two years. I joined this board when it was first created and I was on Eastern as well. 

Secondly lol at your notion of approval ratings or giving a damn about how people on the internet perceive you.

7 minutes ago, Cfa said:

I don’t get the opposition many still hold towards (unofficially) naming major winter storms. It’s done for tropical cyclones.

Personally, I need something more than “winter storm (insert range of dates)” or else it becomes forgettable and/or conflated with multiple previous storms.

Because it's not being done by an official agency such as the NHC does for tropical cyclones. Secondly nobody knows what the true criteria is for a named storm, however the parameters for naming a tropical cyclone are well defined. 

The names also don't seem to follow any particular pattern or have any meaning. It's nothing more than a publicity stunt by a weather media outlet. 

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

Says the guy that has been here for two years. I joined this board when it was first created and I was on Eastern as well. 

Secondly lol at your notion of approval ratings or giving a damn about how people on the internet perceive you.

15 year vet here.  lol @ your deluded nature.  you don't have a clue how you come across.  mostly, you just don't have a clue.  you argue like a child, and have an incessant need for the last word.  so have at it, i already feel better.

14 hours ago, bluewave said:

We saw something similar last year where interior areas also had the snowiest month in March. So it's 2 years in a row now. Welcome to March in the Rockies.

DLPuPohUQAAKyRU.jpg-small.jpg.9e3f1fdfc36fc3d6a6d093c4f64be0ea.jpg

The storm in late March last year, I believe it was the 18th, was by far the largest snowfall of the season locally, and the largest since the January 2016 storm. 

1 minute ago, e46and2 said:

15 year vet here.  lol @ your deluded nature.  you don't have a clue how you come across.  mostly, you just don't have a clue.  you argue like a child, and have an incessant need for the last word.  so have at it, i already feel better.

You have it all wrong. I really just don't give a damn. The haters will hate, it is what it is.

2 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

Because it's not being done by an official agency such as the NHC does for tropical cyclones. Secondly nobody knows what the true criteria is for a named storm, however the parameters for naming a tropical cyclone are well defined. 

The names also don't seem to follow any particular pattern or have any meaning. It's nothing more than a publicity stunt by a weather media outlet. 

You make some fair points, but most seem opposed to the whole idea of naming winter storms, brushing the concept off as unnecessary hype. That’s where I disagree.

I’m all for better defined criteria and categorization though, and have the naming (or numbering) done by the NWS. It seems as if TWC issues a name to every single storm no matter the intensity, which defeats the purpose of issuing names in the first place.

21 minutes ago, Cfa said:

You make some fair points, but most seem opposed to the whole idea of naming winter storms, brushing the concept off as unnecessary hype. That’s where I disagree.

I’m all for better defined criteria and categorization though, and have the naming (or numbering) done by the NWS. It seems as if TWC issues a name to every single storm no matter the intensity, which defeats the purpose of issuing names in the first place.

That's completely true of TC naming as well. For every Katrina or Haiyan around the world, there are ten Erick '07s or Nana '08s that have briefly spit some convection, get charitably assigned 35 kt, and dissipate inside of a day.

27 minutes ago, Cfa said:

I still don't see the point, it's a Winter storm and most times they come and go in less than 24 hours whereas a tropical system can hang around for over two weeks.

15 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

That's completely true of TC naming as well. For every Katrina or Haiyan around the world, there are ten Erick '07s or Nana '08s that have briefly spit some convection, get charitably assigned 35 kt, and dissipate inside of a day.

But only the big ones will be remembered, hence why they get retired. Does TWC retire winter storms' names?

Just now, NJwx85 said:

I still don't see the point, it's a Winter storm and most times they come and go in less than 24 hours whereas a tropical system can hang around for over two weeks.

I'm ambivalent on the issue.  I think the NWS would need to be in charge though so that the criteria would be standardized.

3 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

I can remember names like Gloria, Bob, and Sandy.  That's 3 in 30 years.  Naming 30 every winter is ridiculous.  Juno, Nemo, Bartlo, they are all the same to me.  I need a date.

On 3/5/2018 at 2:49 PM, snowman19 said:

Everyone needs to enjoy Wednesday. That is very likely the last hurrah for winter. The pattern is going to completely flip starting this weekend and we are going to be in a torch by St. Patrick’s Day weekend. We loose the -NAO and the EPO goes raging positive with a vortex over Alaska. I think it’s fat lady singing time, all she wrote, game over after Wednesday 

On 3/5/2018 at 9:42 PM, snowman19 said:

Total wishcast. It’s over come mid-month. See ya in 9 months. Say goodnight

Lol

On 3/6/2018 at 6:22 PM, snowman19 said:

The Mon-Tues storm is going to be suppressed south. That one is for the mid-Atlantic. After that, it’s time to say goodbye to winter 17-18. A massive vortex forms over Alaska, ++EPO takes hold and that’s it. Fat lady singing. Torch develops come next weekend (3/17)

:whistle:

Batting average drops again 

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived