Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, EasternLI said:

Yeah, the Jan fish bomb blizzard was a lot of fun tracking and watching play out. If it wasn't moving at light speed it would have given the biggest ones here a run for their money. It was still very impressive regardless.

The great thing about that storm was the extent of the heavy snowfall.  Even back here in SW Nassau we saw 14-16 inches of snow and a foot of snow all the way to Brooklyn and 10 inches to Manhattan.  Also had true bonafide blizzard conditions and a white out for most of the day.  Cant ask for any thing more than that.

1 hour ago, Paragon said:

The great thing about that storm was the extent of the heavy snowfall.  Even back here in SW Nassau we saw 14-16 inches of snow and a foot of snow all the way to Brooklyn and 10 inches to Manhattan.  Also had true bonafide blizzard conditions and a white out for most of the day.  Cant ask for any thing more than that.

That is true, the hefty totals spread out like that instead of in more localized bands like we normally see. The winds were really impressive to me as well, it was downright frightening here for a time.

9 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

That is true, the hefty totals spread out like that instead of in more localized bands like we normally see. The winds were really impressive to me as well, it was downright frightening here for a time.

I think if we had blocking it would have been like March 1960 with the totals spread out across the coastal plain.  That was another very intense snowstorm, but its highest totals were over Nantucket.

As we often discuss here, the run we've had since 2000 in terms of big snows has been great.  Can someone please refresh my memory as to whether, for LI, especially Nassau, any of those big snows since 2000 has occurred in March?  Seems like for one reason or another the March storms rarely pan out for this area ( obviously just west of LI cashed in last March.)   2001 was one such disappointment (which I know still dumped 15+ in some spots in ELI); I think 1989 was another, which clipped A/C and Montauk.

5 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

As we often discuss here, the run we've had since 2000 in terms of big snows has been great.  Can someone please refresh my memory as to whether, for LI, especially Nassau, any of those big snows since 2000 has occurred in March?  Seems like for one reason or another the March storms rarely pan out for this area ( obviously just west of LI cashed in last March.)   2001 was one such disappointment (which I know still dumped 15+ in some spots in ELI); I think 1989 was another, which clipped A/C and Montauk.

2009?

12 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Why can't people let a model run play out, at least a few frames?  What's the rush to post so soon?  

The same reasoning behind having to declare victory about a forecast, the same reasoning to bash other instead of discussing the weather, the same reason to play the reverse psychology bs when discussing snow....

my guess is childhood trauma...concussions? Bad breakup?

Just now, BxEngine said:

The same reasoning behind having to declare victory about a forecast, the same reasoning to bash other instead of discussing the weather, the same reason to play the reverse psychology bs when discussing snow....

my guess is childhood trauma...concussions? Bad breakup?

I remember reading an article years ago in Maxim (is that still around?) that said you'll learn more in life with a bad boss and a bad breakup than you'll ever learn in school.  I agree.  

Just now, ForestHillWx said:

There was a poster last year, I think something like...Superstorm93. Dude was money. I think he was going to school for meteorology. 

Does he still post here? Anyone have any insight?

One of my favorite members. Always had valuable information. Haven’t seen him this winter. 

On 3/3/2018 at 6:43 PM, bluewave said:

January 4th was officially our 24th KU storm of the 2010's so far. The period between the 09-10 and 17-18 snow seasons saw many more top 60 events than any other similar period going back to the 1950's. Even though the snowfall maps are poor as usual, it did rank as a Cat 1.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/snow-and-ice/rsi/nesis

The maps are definitely poor, but equally puzzling if the rating of the Jan 21, 1978 storm in the northeast as "crippling" while the February blizzard is well behind that onlhy "major".  The former had more impact further south in the apps (assuming the map is correct) , but otherwise, must be some statistical abnormality.

4 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

The maps are definitely poor, but equally puzzling if the rating of the Jan 21, 1978 storm in the northeast as "crippling" while the February blizzard is well behind that onlhy "major".  The former had more impact further south in the apps (assuming the map is correct) , but otherwise, must be some statistical abnormality.

It almost looks like they reversed the dates by mistake.

1 hour ago, ForestHillWx said:

There was a poster last year, I think something like...Superstorm93. Dude was money. I think he was going to school for meteorology. 

Does he still post here? Anyone have any insight?

Talked to him today.  He's doing well.   I'll let him know he's missed.  

Sometimes I get lazy and check the storm / disco threads to see what the latest model runs are doing.  Checking them myself saves a lot of agita reading through posts that don't make any sense (only I won't know that they don't make any sense if I haven't checked on my own).

It would be like two people looking at the same painting and seeing something different, except this is math, not art. :wacko:

31 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Sometimes I get lazy and check the storm / disco threads to see what the latest model runs are doing.  Checking them myself saves a lot of agita reading through posts that don't make any sense (only I won't know that they don't make any sense if I haven't checked on my own).

It would be like two people looking at the same painting and seeing something different, except this is math, not art. :wacko:

Yeah same here...I read some posts then check the models myself and wonder, what the hell are they talking about.

1 hour ago, NorthShoreWx said:

31 minutes ago, doncat said:

Yeah same here...I read some posts then check the models myself and wonder, what the hell are they talking about.

So help them out a little.   It won't hurt and only elevate the disco.

12 minutes ago, Rjay said:

So help them out a little.   It won't hurt and only elevate the disco.

Except the off the mark posts are usually stale by the time I get done checking models for myself.  Unfortunately, I can interpret model output fairly well, but not so good at figuring out what's wrong with it.  But I will help when I can.  I already do if I think I actually know something useful.

Didn't mean to be controversial in the first post.  I have literally checked into a thread a couple of hours after a model run (and I have a bad habit of starting to read a few pages back), then progress chronologically through the full roller coaster from the rumor mill, bad analysis, poor attempts to forecast what the model is going to forecast as the output rolls on, to hopefully in the end something resembling the truth.  Just like in a novel.  I guess that's why they call it entertainment.  :popcorn:

11 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Except the off the mark posts are usually stale by the time I get done checking models for myself.  Unfortunately, I can interpret model output fairly well, but not so good at figuring out what's wrong with it.  But I will help when I can.  I already do if I think I actually know something useful.

Didn't mean to be controversial in the first post.  I have literally checked into a thread a couple of hours after a model run (and I have a bad habit of starting to read a few pages back), then progress chronologically through the full roller coaster from the rumor mill, bad analysis, poor attempts to forecast what the model is going to forecast as the output rolls on, to hopefully in the end something resembling the truth.  Just like in a novel.  I guess that's why they call it entertainment.  :popcorn:

I completely understand and thank you. 

And your second paragraph is spot on haha.  

13 minutes ago, NYCGreg said:

Fine.  Then use the Kuchera maps for the NYC area and the 10:1 maps for your area.  Both maps may have some use in a snowstorm like this.  It may not be a one size fits all.

Thanks but I am pretty sure I live in the NYC area, after all I can see the skyline from my house. :rolleyes:

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived