Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It better hurry up and do something while there’s still time! We’re less than a week away from the start of met spring now. As in by 3/10. There is a HUGE signal for a massive torch coming into the east for mid through late March. Very strong signal actually. -NAO breaks down, PAC retrogrades.  https://twitter.com/Met_mdclark/status/966661695430066176?ref_src=twcamp^share|twsrc^m5|twgr^email|twcon^7046|twterm^0  https://mobile.twitter.com/Met_mdclark/status/966395023335051265

8 minutes ago, Dan76 said:

Thanks also the bluejays are nuts now next will be the robbins

Snowy owls made the usual winter appearances along the South Shore barrier islands. Someone snapped a quick photo in Atlantic Beach a few weeks ago. The Jones Beach West End seems to be the most reliable spot to see them in our area.

...noticed none of the local OCM's have mentioned the turn to cold and stormy as we 

head into March..with a robust -NAO looking pretty certain, surprised there's been no

mention of this..still in the LR but usually you'll start hearing some snippets from them.

20 minutes ago, doncat said:

Has felt more like a spring month with the mild rainy weather...raining again currently with more to come this weekend.

Hopefully the warmer weather and increased humidity will help to arrest some of the flu strains that are currently going around. One of the worst flu seasons I can recall locally.

33 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Yeah and about this time last month things were looking pretty good for a cold and snowy mid February till the end of the month. I will put as much faith in this signal as I did in that one.

Curious why you seem to put great faith in only warm signals but never any cold ones. You have a Warmacist bias it seems.

57 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Hopefully the warmer weather and increased humidity will help to arrest some of the flu strains that are currently going around. One of the worst flu seasons I can recall locally.

Looks like the flu season is peaking now, and declining in most spots. Good news is that the A strains are really declining, in favor of B strains. The flu shot is more effective against the B strain than the A strain 

6 hours ago, tim said:

...noticed none of the local OCM's have mentioned the turn to cold and stormy as we 

head into March..with a robust -NAO looking pretty certain, surprised there's been no

mention of this..still in the LR but usually you'll start hearing some snippets from them.

Cold(ish) and stormy doesn't sell well going into spring.

4 hours ago, snowman19 said:

K we get it you hate snow

22 hours ago, snowman19 said:

Michael Clark , Ed Valle and everyone else at BAM and most other places were cold for FEB.

This is FEB

The block does not break down on the weeklies and JMA until week 3 and then I am sure we torch , Spring isn't too far off.

What comes before that may make people not care when it finally does.

Now next weekend doesn't look like suppression and that maybe just 1 of 2 EC systems before everything breaks down and that's gona be the story in the end.

DWvJJoVWsAMQTk0.jpg

15 hours ago, mattinpa said:

GFS still showing a big noreaster in the long range. 850s are good but not sure how much is snow due to the surface temps. 

Probably will be a heavy rain to start and then the dynamic cooling will start drawing the colder air down to the surface and the second half of the storm will be a heavy wet snow in many areas but this depends on the exact track and positioning of the storm ……...

58 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Even the Snowicaine was a bit of a letdown in my part of NJ, 8 inches....the previous storm was 11,  the Feb 6 storm as 3, and the Dec storm 10.....nice storms but came up short around here. Feb 6 being the worst, since I was 30 mins from deep snows....last March was just eh, another busted March storm for me, of which there have been many....which is why I never get excited about March snows. For my area it isn't going to be epic, unless something like 1888 happens ( which I don't expect ). A 6-8 inch March storm would be fine if we could get one.

IMG_8280.JPG:) lol

3 hours ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

Michael Clark , Ed Valle and everyone else at BAM and most other places were cold for FEB.

This is FEB

The block does not break down on the weeklies and JMA until week 3 and then I am sure we torch , Spring isn't too far off.

What comes before that may make people not care when it finally does.

Now next weekend doesn't look like suppression and that maybe just 1 of 2 EC systems before everything breaks down and that's gona be the story in the end.

DWvJJoVWsAMQTk0.jpg

We’ll see what happens the next 14 days, I think the 3/2 storm is a rain event. 3/6-3/7 is debatable. IMO the weekend of 3/10-3/11 is it for winter. I think we are torching come the following weekend (St. Patrick’s Day weekend) 

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived