Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bluewave said:

After the 2nd coldest first week of January around the area behind 1918, Newark just set a new record of 6 days of 60 or greater 1/10-2/15. Each new season brings a combo of previously unseen extremes.

Exactly, and it’s fine with me if we still score storms like 1/4. Let’s see what March brings. I have a feeling the far interior is in for a wild ride 

Something like March 11 where the high elevations of the Catskills had 40”

14 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Exactly, and it’s fine with me if we still score storms like 1/4. Let’s see what March brings. I have a feeling the far interior is in for a wild ride 

Something like March 11 where the high elevations of the Catskills had 40”

yeah some of those spring elevation blue bombs are crazy...

5 hours ago, bluewave said:

Could be the first on record if conformed. In any event, another example of out of season severe with this anomalous winter warmth.

Damage being reported in Uniontown, PA. The cause of the damage is still unknown. However, if ruled a tornado it will be the first tornado recorded in the month of February in the Pittsburgh region #PAwx #tornado Pictures from@CalUofPA student @s_Hayducko pic.twitter.com/hUX8DSI20Y

Confirmed EF1 tornado in Uniontown occurred last night with winds up to 105 mph. 1st recorded tornado in NWS Pittsburgh area of responsibility during February since 1950.

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

After the 2nd coldest first week of January around the area behind 1918, Newark just set a new record of 6 days of 60 or greater 1/10-2/15. Each new season brings a combo of previously unseen extremes.

Exactly.  We've been seeing multiple extremes occur more and more, especially in the 2010's.

51 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Confirmed EF1 tornado in Uniontown occurred last night with winds up to 105 mph. 1st recorded tornado in NWS Pittsburgh area of responsibility during February since 1950.

3rd February in a row for PA that produced tornadoes.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/archive/event.php?date=20170225

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/archive/event.php?date=20160224

The vitriol that results if someone says anything even mildly negative about snow is hysterical!  One would think the discussion was initiated with a personal attack on one's family!  It's just weather and it's just snow.  Wow!  

This is all just interpretation of various computer feedback yet if someone interprets a model and suggests less snow than some others....string 'em up!  Unfortunately I can count on one hand those who would engage in a thoughtful debate on such events  while most of the rest just go into attack mode. 

I have been around since the NE Weather days and you can see almost no posting.  It's a wonder we have as many mets as we still do given the defensiveness and bitterness that comes through if there is any disagreement on a snow forecast!  

No one knows what will happen for sure and we are always surprised and amazed by what the atmosphere conjures up.  it's also possible not to like or want certain weather but still be in awe of it.  Personally, I have had enough snow and cold in my life yet still get that feeling I had when I was a kid (I'm 56) when a significant snowstorm approaches, to track and observe.  But then life happens again and we have to drive and work and get places and deal with the aftermath.  But to each his own.  

Despite the technology there is still so much that is unpredictable particularly in the longer term and even in the short term for many events.  A civilized discussion on such things would be nice.

7 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The extremes just keep coming.

Current 30-day-averaged Madden-Julian oscillation amplitude is at its highest 30-day average since early March to early April 1997. Strong sub-seasonal tropical variability at present. @carl_schreck @EricBlake12pic.twitter.com/vfGNX2G9vC
7:42 AM - 16 Feb 2018 from Walnut Creek, CA

I apologize in advance, but could you please explain what that likely portends for NYC metro?

11 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

I was supposed to drive out to RI tonight to meet up with some photogs for our inaugural 2018 Milky Way shoot, but it looks like high clouds are streaming in faster than anticipated. :( Bollocks to that. I'll need to decide in the next few minutes whether it's worth taking a chance.

I'm going to say no.

1 hour ago, doncat said:

Whatever happened to poster "Allsnow" ? He was a big winter fan.

1 hour ago, JerseyWx said:

Yeah he was a good poster around here come the Winter, been wondering about him as well.

He's around and doing well. Talked to him today.  He's ready for some snow. 

The 500mb heights in Northern Florida now, are where we will be for 48 hours, during Mon.-Wed.    Up 300m.     Odds less than 50/50 that first 10 days of March come in BN overall.   Really, it will be mid-month for a high probability bet on BN.  

8 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

The 500mb heights in Northern Florida now, are where we will be for 48 hours, during Mon.-Wed.    Up 300m.     Odds less than 50/50 that first 10 days of March come in BN overall.   Really, it will be mid-month for a high probability bet on BN.  

Ok so we’ll just completely discount the near record -5 West based NAO then.

22 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

Thank you for explaining.  

In south Florida now.   Gorgeous weather.  Upset I’m missing the snow tho

You picked a good time for a Florida vacation with one of their warmest Februaries so far. Even had some dense fog this morning under the inversion up toward the central and north parts of the state. 

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived