Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

that whole winter was a disaster for Boston...(not much better here outside of 12/19/09)

Amazing winter for Philly as they were able to do a little better than NYC in 95-96. Would have been even wilder for them if March was cold and snowy.

2 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I agree to a point, the only problem is when the same area in this case Central Park, keeps taking measurements that were obviously incorrect and had nothing to do with microclimate, banding, or any other such features that may have been going on then you do have to go in and correct it. Central Park was notorious for mostly under measurements, for many many years that's why the Conservancy now does the measurements. Wiith a few exceptions they do seem to be doing a better job than the Central Park zoo ever did.

The measurements at the zoo were a running joke among local area meteorologists for years but no one did anything about it until two years ago.

Good point.  Who would have ever thought measuring frozen precip would be such a hard task?

2 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Thanks for sharing these reports. It is unfortunate that measurements aren’t always performed correctly. Such a problem undermines the integrity of the climate record.

Sure. I agree Don.  Good measurements are crucial to keeping the data accurate and consistent.

18 minutes ago, WarrenCtyWx said:

Even crazier is to see Burlington, VT as rain while the Jersey shore is snow on that map.

How about rain at 3500’+ in the southern greens. 

I know there was another example of this in the 60s where Bangor Maine was raining and it was snowing well down into the mid Atlantic. Bangor apparently went below zero and snow to rain and 40s to snow and below zero as low tracked overhead. 

6 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

WTF? who writes this?

.SATURDAY NIGHT...Snow. A chance of rain in the evening, then
rain after midnight. Moderate snow accumulation. Lows in the
lower 30s. Southeast winds around 5 mph, becoming north after
midnight. Chance of precipitation 80 percent. 

Yanks final call. 

9 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

Possible tornado in western PA

Could be the first on record if conformed. In any event, another example of out of season severe with this anomalous winter warmth.

Damage being reported in Uniontown, PA. The cause of the damage is still unknown. However, if ruled a tornado it will be the first tornado recorded in the month of February in the Pittsburgh region #PAwx #tornado Pictures from@CalUofPA student @s_Hayducko pic.twitter.com/hUX8DSI20Y

2 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

my worst nightmare-blocking shows up around 4/1....rainy and raw for 6 weeks....

TWC spring outlook is colder than average for the east coast. Ugh.

For coastal CT we only need 7.5 inches to reach seasonal average. Very doable even in a hostile pattern.

I HATE cold springs.

50 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

TWC spring outlook is colder than average for the east coast. Ugh.

For coastal CT we only need 7.5 inches to reach seasonal average. Very doable even in a hostile pattern.

I HATE cold springs.

amazing...did you ever think we'd have to claw our way to normal snowfall on 1/5/18?   I figured a 40-50 inch season was coming...

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

my worst nightmare-blocking shows up around 4/1....rainy and raw for 6 weeks....

As long as it takes over early enough we could score big time. Assuming Upton is correct allot of the area will have above normal snowfall for the season after the weekend. This fits with “new norm”. Above normal snowfall and above normal temps.

i agree with the cold spring idea, the worst...

2 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

As long as it takes over early enough we could score big time. Assuming Upton is correct allot of the area will have above normal snowfall for the season after the weekend. This fits with “new norm”. Above normal snowfall and above normal temps.

i agree with the cold spring idea, the worst...

I think Upton's a bit overdone-they have 5-9 here-I don't see any model with 5 here let alone 9.   2-4 maybe?

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived